mosetd

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I have a desktop that if any usb touches the usb port the whole system shuts down instantly. The system will turn back on but with no picture. I then have to turn the power supply off at the switch, wait a couple seconds, turn the power supply back on, and then turn the machine on. It will run fine until a usb tries to enter that port again. Is it a short? It is a front panel usb port.

The system worked fine for months and now this. I also have an identical system that when it is off for more than two days will get a BSOD on boot. However, if I turn off the power supply at the switch and then turn it back on after waiting a couple seconds it will be fine. The system will reboot fine and if off or a weekend will be fine.

Both systems are identical barebone kits from Tigerdirect.

You'll need to list out the exact parts that are in the builds. Include the model numbers.

The first one sounds like a short to me. I'd check the wiring from the front panels.

BSOD's almost always indicate some type of harddrive failure. To get more specific, we need the error code from the BSOD. The most common cause of BSODs are RAM problems. Run MemTest86+ to see if there are any problems.

As I said before, we need some more details to be more specific (especially with the second problem).

mosetd

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
The systems:
Asus M3N78 PRO
AMD Phenom X4 9500 4M 95W Socket AM2
OCZ SLI 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x2048MB)
Sparkle GeForce 9400 GT 1GB PCIe
WD Caviar 500GB SATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G
ULTRA LS500 500W ATX POWER SUPPLY
Apex PC-389 ATX Black Mid-T Case
Windows 7

The BSOD that the one system gives is the very generic one with no information. It basically says that if this is the first time you are see this then restart.
The system runs fine without any problems it is only if it is off for more than 2 days (and Power supply switch is on) and then turned on. If I get the BSOD I shut down the system, turn of the PS, wait about 10 seconds, turn on PS, and it starts without any problems.