Sign in with
Your question

Gygabite g31m-es2c PSU problem

Last response: in Motherboards
August 28, 2010 12:03:00 AM

hi,

its like this i connected my corsair tx650-watts to the motherboard and all the peripherals and theres no energy, nothing, the computer wont start and with the old psu i could turn everything on :( 

system :

gygabite g31m-es2c - MOTHERBOARD
intel dual core e5200 2.5 ghz - CPU
Corsair TX650-watts - PSU
2gb RAM
gtx 470 - GPU
160 gb - HDD

thanks in advance :D 
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 28, 2010 12:32:11 AM

steelykx said:
... the motherboard and all the peripherals and theres no energy, nothing, the computer wont start and with the old psu i could turn everything on :( 

So with the old PSU everything worked and with the new it doesn't ... "if" I correctly understand then it seems pretty self evident its the PSU. RMA the PSU.

Typically, the Corsair's are good solid units, but if they're bad (1 rail) they're bad. ;) 
August 28, 2010 12:35:18 AM

but i tried the corsair on my other pc and it worked fine :/ 
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 28, 2010 12:41:45 AM

Sorry, I misunderstood.

For starters, pull the CPU and look for any bent pins and then re-seat the CPU + replace your thermal paste.

I am "assuming" that ALL of the connections to the MOBO, GPU, etc are properly wired.
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2010 1:00:46 AM

Hi there,

Checked on the CPU for this board and it is on the list.
Please let us know exactly what RAM you have, and check that it is on the acceptable list on the GA website.

Do you have a small speaker you can attach to the front I/O header, to listen for pre POST beep codes. Very important.
If you do, remove the RAM sticks, the graphics card, and any peripherals including mouse, keyboard, UFD, DVD burner, and HDD.

Turn the computer on and listed for a beep code: On your MB here are the beep codes -
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

IF you don't hear ANY beep code, either the CPU or the MB is at fault. With no power on, could be a chassis short or CPU installation. Remove the MB from the case and on an insulated work surface, reconnect the PSU. Be sure to insert the 4 pin accessory CPU power connector also. If still no beep code, remove carefully and inspect the CPU, reinstall the CPU and heat sink, and see if you have any success.

IF you do get one of the error beep codes, then one at a time, insert the RAM, Keyboard, Graphics card and monitor in that order, listening for appropriate beep codes, until your system will POST to the splash screen.
Hopefully you will find and correct the problem doing things one at a time and sequentially
August 28, 2010 1:27:13 AM

thank you both for the replys,
but the thing is the computer doesnt even power up, no energy signal
so that sayd can it still be from a faulty cpu assembly or ram?

oh and the old psu i have here works fine boots up everything perfectly except the gtx 470 wich requires a greater psu .

so any guess?
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 28, 2010 1:49:31 AM

Duh, maybe I did understand correctly after all!? :whistle: 

Your Corsair PSU "should" have enough power - personally I would have opted for the 750 or the 850 for SLI. Try disconnecting the nVidia - does it "have power" then??
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2010 2:49:10 AM

steelykx said:
thank you both for the replys,
but the thing is the computer doesnt even power up, no energy signal
so that sayd can it still be from a faulty cpu assembly or ram?

oh and the old psu i have here works fine boots up everything perfectly except the gtx 470 wich requires a greater psu .

so any guess?

The CPU has to give a PG (power good) signal to the PSU before it will power up the MB, and peripheral devices. Bad or no CPU, nothing will happen. If the CPU is OK, but bad or no RAM, you will get an appropriate "Bad RAM" beep code
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 28, 2010 3:34:04 AM

As I said, {confusing to understand what's what}, 1. "Bad CPU" - Pull the CPU + check + remount, or 2. Underpowered PSU -> will have the "same" nothing is going to happen symptoms. The PSU "should" have enough wattage + amperage to power the rig.

"Testing" would be to disconnect the GPU - "If" nothing happens still then it is more than likely the CPU ~ "hoping" a/k/a praying it is a bad mount.
"Testing" would be to use the second PSU and connect it to the GPU {paper-clip/or connected to the other PC} "jumped" then it is more than likely a bad/underpowered PSU.

#1 or #2 would explain the situation. "To me" nothing is just that - no: beeps, fans, or burps. "If" there's beeps, fans a spinning, or anything short of a fire then WE need to know.

Also, if there is a short you can have the same problem. Short of bread boarding you can unscrew all of the MOBO screws and pull slightly away from it mounts and try to restart.
August 28, 2010 1:35:15 PM

the thing is the cpu aint bad because it works with the other psu and it aint a underpowered or a bad psu problem because im using the corsair tx650 right now in another pc and it works fine.

ive tried booting with only one ram, swaped for the 3 rams i have here and still nothing.

but one thing ive noticed is that the board seems to require a -5v pin and the newest psus dont seem to come with it, can that be the problem?
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2010 2:30:09 PM

Hi again,

Take the MB out of the case and place it on an insulated work surface. Have only the CPU, Power supply, and the Speaker attached. Make sure you have Both the 24 pin power connector and the 4 pin accessory CPU power connector attached.

Turn it on and see if you get any power to the unit, even for 1/2 second or less. Listen for any beep code from the speaker attached in that will give you an indication if the CPU is installed correctly. If you don't get any pre POST beep, it's going to be one or the other.

The pin #20 is not connected to the PSU normally . The - 5V was used in the past for RS-232 signalling and has nothing to do with getting power to your MB.
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 28, 2010 3:47:21 PM

What I said before and mean by the "CPU" is that if it is not mounted correctly, bent pin, etc you could have those symptoms and it would be the first thing that I would look at, and to do that it requires you to dismount the CPU and very-carefully examine for bent/hopefully not missing pins.

Again, 3 common possibilities: CPU {mounting/bad}, PSU, or a short {extra riser/mounting pins causing short}.

The next recommendation if not from me it'll come from others is to strip the system down to bare-bones components (including the use of only 1 RAM stick/switch sticks) and to bread board the MOBO outside of its case on cardboard or similar non-conductive surface. {duh - just noticed John_VanKirk recommended the same}

Also, take a picture of the MOBO and post it ~ to see all connections are made (e.g. 4-pin).
August 28, 2010 5:13:32 PM

see here right now im using the motherboard and the cpu works fine actually everythng works fine with the onboard graphics since this old psu cant even power my 8600 gts so i ruled out the cpu bad mounting and the underpowered psu since the corsair is working in my other configuration, didnt quite understand what u ment about riser/mounting pins causing short because everything seems to work fine with this old psu :/ 
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 28, 2010 6:19:33 PM

"IF!!!"
[system: CPU, MOBO, (etc) - GPU] + OLD PSU] = WORKS
[system: CPU, MOBO, (etc) - GPU] + NEW PSU] = FAILS
==========================================
Leaves ONLY the NEW PSU as the problem

Perhaps it's me, trying to help, but I've seen contradictions...See my first post.

Regarding, the riser/mounting pins (note the blue pins, most of the time they're metal):
They're used to suspend the MOBO off the case (e.g. shorting, you must ONLY use pins that lineup with the MOBO and remove those that don't line up with the screw holes on the MOBO)
August 28, 2010 7:52:00 PM

problem solved temporarily (no problem since im gonna buy a new cpu+mobo and rams soon) :

hookep the old psu to the mobo and cpu to power it up, got the corsair psu connected to the other mobo i had here and connected the pci express power cables to the gtx 470 on the g31m-es2c and it works fine, only downside 2 pcs connected :/ 

thank you both jaquith and John_VanKirk for the help :D 

!