Upgrade WinXP Pro to Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfh003

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
My system is 'cleared' by MS upgrade advisor to convert to Win7 32bit. The upgrade says to use an external drive to transfer my XP programs. My C: is 600 GB and 76% free. My E: is 300GB and 99% free (recently formatted). Can I swap hdd's and list my current E: as C: and begin a clean install; thereby keeping my XP programs and file on the now E: drive?

Yes, you are right, but the OP will no longer be able to boot into the XP partition because the drive letter will change when reconnected. However, they will be free then to copy data files and format it when they are assured they have everything transferred.

lfh003

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
A new issue for my upgrade...I had a GeForce 8800GT card installed; worked fine for four years...then it would not complete a software version update. I replaced it with a brand new GeForce 520GT, same thing is happening. Something inside XP is driving me bananas! I believe I will wait until October and go for a clean install of Win8...what will I do about Outlook Express? I hear it will not be available in Win8. Got lots of people in my address book...maybe a backup of the address book. Using MS Office 2010.

johhny-marshal

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

You do not need to transfer old file to anywhere else. You can install Windows 7 on your system easily using a Win 7 Disc. Insert a Win 7 Disc and start booting from it. It will show you the guidelines step by step. When it will ask you where to install the Windows, click (only one) on the drive where the previous Windows is installed and you will get an option "Drive Options" click that and format the current drive. After that perform a fresh install of Win 7.

lfh003

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
THANK YOU, Johnny-Marshall. My E-drive is formatted and clean. My idea was to swap the drives and do a fresh install...but now: this thing about my Nvidia graphic card not completing version update has me disappointed. I can wait until Win8 release, swap drives so that C: will be the clean drive and try to put the programs currently on C: back on the new C:...confused? It looks simple in my brain, but will Win8 64-bit run my old programs. I use Outlook Express for email; I hear Win8 will not use Express. Some how I have to save my email and addresses...I've done it before, long ago...just have to search for the solution. Thanks for your time and effort to find a solution for me.

Your Outlook Express folders to rescue are in nC:\Documents and Settings>{yourusername}Application Data>Identities then go through a folder named of various mixed characters to a folder with several files of type .idx. Save those to a place of safety and when you buy Windows 7, import them into Windows Mal.

johhny-marshal

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

You are welcome lfh003. We all are here to help each other's problems, and I am really happy that your problem has been resolved using my opinion. I would suggest you to wait until Win 8 releases.

lfh003

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
This is very good information! Since Win7 does not use Outlook Express, I have tried Windows Live Mail and found it adequate, barely. The Live Mail auto picked up my Express address book and current mail. The setup looks like gmail; it appears amateurish in design. Thank you, again for your input.

lfh003

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Johnny...
Windows 8? NO...I will do a clean install of Win7 on the new computer I am going to build. Nothing fancy, I am not a gamer, and I want to be using 64-bit so I can have more than 4 GBs RAM. I have been reading several publications and blogs about Win8 and there is nothing good to report. Win7 will be supported for many years to come. I appreciate your effort, and that of the other responders, in helping me with this question. How do I end this thread?

ram1009

Distinguished
Nobody has questioned your use of the word "upgrade". Any time you move from from an older OS to a new OS its considered an "upgrade" in one sense. There's also an "upgrade" version of W7 which costs less than the OEM version. Since you mention in your original post that you are "cleared" to upgrade I make the assumption that you are using the upgrade version rather than the OEM version. If that's so you will need to "upgrade" to W7 from the XP desktop. This is Microsoft's way of making sure you have a qualifying OS to "upgrade" from and to also disable the old XP install. I think this info may impact your plans.

lfh003

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
After all this time...it seems so long ago that I posted this thread. Here it is May 14, 2013. I have built a new machine and installed Win7Pro 64-bit. I have migrated much of my apps (that work with Win7) and all is well at this time. I bought an OEM version of Win7Pro. In the course of transferring data, I screwed up big time and had to re-install OEM...no problems! I had read that re-installing OEM Operating System is difficult to impossible...count me as a witness that it is possible. I appreciate this forum site for the efforts of the individuals that pay attention to what is going on in the computer world. Luther Hollums

Status
Not open for further replies.