9600gt psu installation problem

G

Hi people, Ive recently attempted to install a gigabyte 9600gt 1gb oc2 in my system however I have ran into problems. When I plug in the power from the psu to the card, the computer will flash on and off immediately, or the molex cables get exceedingly hot within seconds and begin to melt. Please note that the card itself seems to be running fine, as i am using it now in low power mode. The 6 pin to molex adapter goes to 2 molex plugs, one with 4 pins, and the other with 2. Also please note that I cant seem to get the 6 pin end to fully snap into position, believe me I have tried pushing it in, however I feel if I pushed any harder I would snap the board. could this be the reason why the cables are getting so hot? Maybe there is no actual connection to the graphics card? or maybe ive just wired it wrong? anyhow my psu is a 450watt casecomm

cheers in advance

idejason

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Yeah i had this same problem on my second day of work experience. Embarrassing.
The genius that put that connector together put it together faulty, The two molex connectors are supposed to be 3 and 3 not 4 and 2. Trust me, The adapter i used ruined two power supplies.

You could probably just pick a new one up at any local PC shop for a couple of dollars. Hope i helped.

Better idea...your PSU sounds like a cheap generic, to not even have a PCIE power connector. The best thing you could do for your system is pick up a quality PSU. A 380W Antec Earthwatts would be sufficient, and not cost an arm and a leg. In any case, the new PSU should have full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and be 80+ certified (the 380W Earthwatts is 80+ bronze). In addition to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, and Enermax make good PSUs.