The problem with the new BIOS

G

Welcome
Well, I have a problem with my motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4 and exactly have a problem with the BIOS because not long ago I installed the new BIOS F8 and it turned out that after this change does not work for me on my Intel Core i5-750 technology Turbo Boost. It turned out that she has a newer version of BIOS F9, which improved the compatibility of the probability of Turbo Boost so I installed it but unfortunately Tb is still not working. The BIOS options I have TB set to Enabled, has also tried to reset the BIOS with the jumper Clearcmos, has also written to support GIGABYTE, I did everything as I said, but unfortunately it's not possible and you just do not know what to do to make this technology worked.

Sorry, and please forgive me if I made any spelling mistakes but I'm Polish.

PS. I think that I decided to revert to the old BIOS version F2 all and that will work as before the change but, unfortunately, now Turbo Boost does not even work on the old version of the BIOS.

G

Before all the changes in activity were seen in Turbo Boost programs such as everest, cpu-z, now up to these programs show 2.6GHz. I downloaded a program Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor but he also does not show that the Turbo Boost. I did even a few test program SuperPi but he ordered the processor up to 2.6GHz.

I enclose a picture yet because the M.I.T option I wonder why the Turbo Ratio I have the same multiplier as in the Non Turbo Ratio, the gentlemen from Gigabyte I also just posted that the Turbo Ratio should be greater than the coefficient of Non Turbo Ratio, And I have both same.

http://iv.pl/images/33484437952494655321.jpg

First, install and run Intel's TBM {select if available the Polish version/top left} - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3052&DwnldID=19105&lang=eng

Next, verify all of the BIOS settings are indeed correct:
Advanced CPU Core Features:
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech. {Enabled}
CPU Cores Enabled {All}
CPU Multi-Threading {Enabled}
Remaining all set -> {Auto}
Virtualization Technology {optional Enabled or Disabled}

Polish manual (start on ~pg 40}- http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-p55-ud4p(ud4)_pl.pdf

Good Luck!

G

All options in the BIOS set correctly but still no program shows that Turbo Boost works.

mati3910

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
That is, so now I have a BIOS F2 and on it I have a multiplier from 9 to 20 but as for the first time I changed the BIOS version F2 to F8 in the BIOS multiplier was from 9 to 15 only set so I set a 21 instead of 20 and then no longer I could change it to 20 or so but now has returned back to the BIOS F2 and wszytsko I thought that would be fine but unfortunately it is not although the multiplier is set from 9 to 20. And now again wgrywając latest F9 BIOS I have it set straight multiplier to 9 to 21.

Is there an unfortunate change could have a multiplier effect on the TB is not working?

PS. Sorry but I had to register again because my account has been deactivated because it did not receive any email with a link to register.

If you set the CPU Multiplier to its "maximum" value or are OC the CPU then TB won't work when/if you already set it to its' "maximum" value. ~ It's already running at full (TB "turbo") speed. The ~ exceptions are CPU with an unlocked multiplier and where the BIOS allows custom "TB" settings. Anytime I OC the CPU I typically disable any "turbo" settings (DDR or CPU).

CPU "Turbo Boost" is used only when the CPU is set to a lesser value than its maximum; some other BIOS setting can also interfere with or prevent TB. Example: if the CPU has a maximum of {22} but is set to {21} and if TB is properly configured then "under stress" the CPU Multiplier will temporarily raise 1 value {22}.

Info - http://www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/

For TB to work and not knowing what other changes you made you'll need to set the CPU Multiplier {Max Value - 1}. If you are indeed currently using the CPU Multiplier {Max Value} you should be fine; your CPU supports "SpeedStep Technology" which essentially throttles-down the CPU anyway and the only difference is TB takes the {Default CPU Multiplier + 1}.

As I said or tried to say, when I OC {most} CPUs I disable TB. Exceptions are unlocked CPUs {i7 980x} and then too there are exceptions.

If you don't know "what changes" you've made then in the BIOS simply "Load Optimized" and only make "needed changes", if any, to {e.g. DDR, HDD, etc} and lastly "Exit & Save" and you're TB will indeed work properly. Meaning, unless you know exactly what you're changing - leave it alone.

Off the top of my head, two other environments "might" effect the TB. While I doubt items #1 or #2 are the culprits, item #1 simply will cause any corruption in the registry to repaired. The Utilities, especially Gigabyte's have a proven track record of causing all sort of problems.

1. In the Device Manager - open and expand the "Processor" tree
A. First, try to "Update Driver..."
B. Next, if failure, "Uninstall" and restart the system

2. In Power Management change the scheme
A. WIN 7 change to "High performance"
B. WIN XP change "Home/Office Desk"

3. Uninstall ANY Gigabyte Utility software {Smart Recovery2, Easy Tune6, Cloud OC, (On/Off Charge), AutoGreen, Smart6, Dynamic Energy Saver™ 2, @BIOS, (XHD (eXtreme HardDrive)), or Smart TPM} - these utilities cause all sorts of problems; the utilities marked within "()" might be needed.

4. Uninstall Intel® Desktop Control Center - http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/dcc/

Restart after uninstalling anything to test.

5. Since you've updated to F9 - update to F10 BIOS which address TB.

mati3910

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I did steps 1,2,3 and still nothing happens.

As for point 5 is for my motherboard does not have BIOS version F10.

PS. And do to reinstall the system can give something? System: Windows 7 Professional x86

F10 ~ my error GA-P55-UD4{P}.

6. Uninstall ANY application(s) that are set to monitor TB.

7. In the BIOS Load Optimized - as the ONLY change {change NO other settings}.

8. Open the Device Manager, expand Processors tree, and delete all the listed Processors, and restart; the drivers will all be replaced and if there's any registry errors they "should be" fixed.

9. Last resort Clear-CMOS; there are a variety of ways to do this: Clear CMOS button, shorting 2 connections {refer to your manual}, and unplugging your PC + Removing the CMOS battery for at least 15 minutes. You'll need to re-set the system time & date.

If this does not fix the problem then start a ticket with GA. http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx

Good Luck!

mati3910

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Unfortunately, it's possible. Gigabyte technical support I have already written, I did it all what I wrote and it did not help and suggested I just have to give a guarantee on the motherboard and so I probably will.

mati3910

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I wanted to ask something because even when the computer starts today, I noticed that the 1-2 second bar on the Intel Turbo Boost Monitor moved up and quickly dropped? What's this all about?

More than likely it is from start-up apps ~ Windows Update, etc starting/stopping.

BTW - Glad to hear that the MOBO fixed the TB issue. :D

If I understood correctly, upon startup you noticed TB working and shortly thereafter it stopped.

Meaning, TB only works under load and "turns-off" when there's no load. To verify this run an app like Prime95 and look at the TB under full load. The VAST majority of the time your PC is throttled-down and TB should be off.

Official - http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
Client D/L - http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=2

mati3910

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Exactly :)

PS.And as for this program which I entered Prime95 then I just run it and give TEST, or what?