Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 or i7 930

Last response: in CPUs
April 3, 2010 5:57:41 AM

Hello,
I'm putting a new system together and I haven't done this in a long time. I'm a photographer use Lightroom and Photoshop cs4 for working with large images sometimes 100mb or more. Was wondering what would be a good option i5 750, i5 650 or go with the i7 930?
I went to a shop today to get some ideas and had the i5 650 in mind but then was told about the i7's triple channel memory? What is this and would this help in photoshop, lightroom and by how much?
It's been a long time since I built a pc so any help here is appreciated. The savings are a couple of hundred dollars and seeing as this is an emergency (notebook died yesterday arrrr!) any savings are good but not absolute.
Thank you for your help.

More about : 930

a b à CPUs
April 3, 2010 7:16:31 AM

Well, the Core i7 is good for programs which can use HyperThreading, but IIRC, Photoshop, and probably Lightroom as well, only benefits from extra real cores, not threads. Thus the Core i5 750 should perform around the same - because the i7 930 and i5 750 Turbo Boost to the same frequency. (The Core i5 750 beat the i7 920 by 3 seconds in a test which involved adding 15 different layers on a 109MB .jpeg image, and the i7 930 is 133MHz faster.) The performance difference between triple channel and dual channel isn't very noticeable, and really I'd just get the i5 750. 4GB should be more than sufficient for Photoshop work.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2010 7:19:16 AM

Definitely go for the quads such as i5 750 or i7 930.

But what is your budget?

The i7s have hyper threading, and the 1366-i7s triple channel RAM do help in certain scenarios.

The difference will depend on the application - whether it prefers higher clock speed, more cores, memory, etc

Benchmarks:
i5 750 vs i5 650
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=144
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2010 1:15:05 PM

Thanks for your replies fellas, it's much appreciated. It would seem that the i7 is the way to go. My notebook (which ended up just being a desktop as it was always tethered to a monitor, keyboard mouse, external drives and a wacom) performed ok up until several months ago when larger files started being used. It's a HP dv9205tx (rubbish for any form of game). Extra ram helped but just slightly.
The budget I want is under 1200AUD but for the 930 + mobo it takes it a few hundred extra and that stretches it at the moment yet if it's going to make a difference in the long run then you know....
Thanks for the link Bluescreandeath (I have seen that screan a few times and I have feared it).
Thanks again fellas and thanks for helping me out the channel RAM meanings Lmeow.
Advice well taken in all areas.
m
l
April 3, 2010 1:22:50 PM

Oh and one other thing...geez getting long here...what?.... what's the difference between the 930 and 860 i7's? as where I'm at they are nearly the same price?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2010 2:37:08 PM

P55 chipset-1156 motherboards-dual channel memory-memory in pairs.
X58 chipset-1366 motherboards-triple channel memory-memory in 3's
I7's of either chipset have hyperthreading.
The i5 750 does not. If you concede the 750 has a little less performance because of no hyper threading and dual vs triple channel memory. You still get almost 90% of the performance and save money because 1156 motherboards are cheaper, feature for feature. And you only need 2 stick memory set VS 3 stick.
You can't go wrong with either combo, you may price things out and get a deal and get the X58 parts for what the P55 prices. Good luck.

edit: I5 750, I7 860 are 1156
I7 920, I7 930 are 1366
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2010 2:37:36 PM

930 belongs to the nehalem family while the 860 belongs to the lynnfield family of processors... while the former utilizes three channels of memory the latter uses only two channels... but many applications are found to favour the 860 and it trumps here... check out the benchmarks in toms u'll see what i mean...
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2010 3:05:04 PM

abhishekk89 said:
930 belongs to the nehalem family while the 860 belongs to the lynnfield family of processors... while the former utilizes three channels of memory the latter uses only two channels... but many applications are found to favour the 860 and it trumps here... check out the benchmarks in toms u'll see what i mean...

There all apart of the nehalem family. While the sub families (what i like to call them) is what sets them differently:

Core i7 9xx (excluding core i7 980x) : boomfield

Core i7 8xx & core i5 7xx: lynnfield

Core i7 9xx"X": gulftown
m
l
April 3, 2010 3:24:31 PM

Thanks again for the replies, I'm starting to get a handle on this now...damn I'm living in the days of Pentium3 Pentium4...
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2010 3:29:14 PM

hail666 said:
Thanks again for the replies, I'm starting to get a handle on this now...damn I'm living in the days of Pentium3 Pentium4...

Well, i still living in the Pentium 4 days as well (somewhat), i have 478 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 desktop.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2010 3:58:59 PM

warmon6 said:
There all apart of the nehalem family. While the sub families (what i like to call them) is what sets them differently:

Core i7 9xx (excluding core i7 980x) : boomfield :non: 

Core i7 8xx & core i5 7xx: lynnfield

Core i7 9xx"X": gulftown

my bad... meant bloomfield... not nehalem...
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2010 4:10:38 PM

abhishekk89 said:
my bad... meant bloomfield... not nehalem...

Thats ok. easy mistake. we all learn something new. ;) 
m
l
April 4, 2010 4:11:48 AM

We certainly do keep learning, well most of us, some don't, some don't want and that's not just for pc's. I must say I'm greatful for this forum as this is my first time on any kind of forum and the advice has been very cool. I don't have much time to learn as I did when I built older systems but damn that desire never dies. I thought it had passed and here it still is. Could I get a little advice on the motherboard please...1566 vs 1166, is it simply the dual vs triple or is there more as I'm starting to lean towards an i7 860 seeing as it's a few dollars cheaper than a 930? Is there a cpu coming up that's going to be better 1166 wise?
Oh and while I'm here anyone need a touch of advice on ummmm oh I don't know!
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 12:36:19 PM

hail666 said:
We certainly do keep learning, well most of us, some don't, some don't want and that's not just for pc's. I must say I'm greatful for this forum as this is my first time on any kind of forum and the advice has been very cool. I don't have much time to learn as I did when I built older systems but damn that desire never dies. I thought it had passed and here it still is. Could I get a little advice on the motherboard please...1566 vs 1166, is it simply the dual vs triple or is there more as I'm starting to lean towards an i7 860 seeing as it's a few dollars cheaper than a 930? Is there a cpu coming up that's going to be better 1166 wise?
Oh and while I'm here anyone need a touch of advice on ummmm oh I don't know!

:)  Well, the different between LGA 1156 (p55, h55, h57, and q57) and 1336 (x58) motherboards:

LGA 1336 motherboards has full dual PCI-E 2.0 16x bandwidth for SLI/CF graphic cards compared to LGA 1156 motherboards. Although only the most power graphic cards in sli/cf (aka HD 5970) will use the full 16x bandwidth. most graphic card are just just fine with 8x bandwidth.

LGA 1336 has triple channel memory but unless you have memory intensive apps. you'll never notice difference between dual and triple channel.

LGA 1556 H55, H57, and Q55 (not the p55 motherboard) has (somewhat) integrated video. Although unlike past motherboards, the integrated graphics is built into select cpu instead of the motherboard. So if the cpu you select doesn't have built in graphics, you wont have any video coming to the monitor.

If and when you have need to, X58 motherboards have support for Hyperthreaded hex core (6 core) cpus. It's unknown if intel will make a Hex core cpu on the lga 1156 socket.

Well that all of the top of my head. there maybe a few other things missing someone else can include.

Now if you got anymore questions, just let us know. We'll be happy to answer then the best we can. :D 
m
l
April 4, 2010 1:19:22 PM

Thank you warmon6 for your advice and knowledge here as I've only got a couple of days before I have to purchase a system, store opens Tuesday morning and I'm edging to get back to work. It's been a long time since a build but I'm looking forward to it. So far it's a H57 motherboard or a X58, both Gigabyte. Can I have 6 gig RAM with H57? And seeing this system is built for Lightroom, CS4-5 will triple channel help here and if so how much? I've looked over the Adobe site but haven't found much? Again thank you for your time. I hope to flow this on somehow to others.
m
l
April 4, 2010 1:22:16 PM

Sorry just read over my earlier post I meant 1336 not 1166....HMM and this fella's gonna build his own system ooooooo''
m
l
April 4, 2010 1:38:31 PM

Recommended to go with the i5 750 better stability. And perfect for Photoshop as it would require lot of processing power than memory
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 3:56:15 PM

hail666 said:
Thank you warmon6 for your advice and knowledge here as I've only got a couple of days before I have to purchase a system, store opens Tuesday morning and I'm edging to get back to work. It's been a long time since a build but I'm looking forward to it. So far it's a H57 motherboard or a X58, both Gigabyte. Can I have 6 gig RAM with H57? And seeing this system is built for Lightroom, CS4-5 will triple channel help here and if so how much? I've looked over the Adobe site but haven't found much? Again thank you for your time. I hope to flow this on somehow to others.

Ok, lets brake this down. :) 

Can I have 6 gig RAM with H57?
Yes you can, although neither option really worth it in my option. Either

A. You could have three 2GB sticks of ram. Although your motherboard would operate in single channel instead of dual. Making the computer run slow in memory bandwidth demanding apps. (this where you would want a X58 motherboard to run triple channel)

B. To keep dual channel, you need one 4Gb stick and one 2GB stick. Down side, cost. One 4GB ddr3 ram at the cheapest i can find is at newegg, they want $159.99. which is like triple the cost of the cheapest ddr3 2 GB ram they have at newegg.

And seeing this system is built for Lightroom, CS4-5 will triple channel help here and if so how much?

I wish i could give a positive answer on this but i dont use CS4, so i cant say if it will be better. Although the knowledge I have is,

If you doing just photo's, photo editing, ect I would see cpu speed being more helpful than memory bandwidth/memory amount.

Now if your doing video editing, rendering, ect then not only a fast possessor will be helpful, a wide bandwidth and larger amount of memory will help as well.

Hope this helps. :) 

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/108?vs=47 core i7 920 (they dont have 930 on there) vs core i7 860
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=47 Core i7 920 vs Core i5 750

anupsnair said:
Recommended to go with the i5 750 better stability. And perfect for Photoshop as it would require lot of processing power than memory

:heink: 

What are you talking about? All the core i3/5/7's that im aware of are all stable cpu's. the only way these cpu's are unstable is if you overclock too high without increasing the voltages.
m
l
April 5, 2010 6:03:03 AM

Thanks again warmon6, you're very helpful. For the memory then I either run 4 gig for dual channel or 8 gig and this has to be in either 2 or 4 gig sticks? I am leaning now towards the 860 as it seems like the better option for what I'm doing especially looking at the anandtech benches, not much in it really.
Thanks for your help I've just about got it sorted...now it's a memory issue. Motherboard Gigabyte p55a ud4p?
m
l
April 5, 2010 6:15:41 AM

Me again....is there much of a diff between RAM? Looking at
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 4GB
Kingston 4G-kit DDR3 2000Mhz
Thanks again...
Take care.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 1:41:10 PM

hail666 said:
Thanks again warmon6, you're very helpful. For the memory then I either run 4 gig for dual channel or 8 gig and this has to be in either 2 or 4 gig sticks? I am leaning now towards the 860 as it seems like the better option for what I'm doing especially looking at the anandtech benches, not much in it really.
Thanks for your help I've just about got it sorted...now it's a memory issue. Motherboard Gigabyte p55a ud4p?

No problem. Glad i could help.

For the memory then I either run 4 gig for dual channel or 8 gig and this has to be in either 2 or 4 gig sticks?

Well for memory, you can have a max total of memory of 16GB. (having 4 sticks of 4GB ram) Although for cost, 2GB are much better.

hail666 said:
Me again....is there much of a diff between RAM? Looking at
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 4GB
Kingston 4G-kit DDR3 2000Mhz
Thanks again...
Take care.

I can tell you the difference between them although you wont notice a difference.

The two corsair ram:

1. 1600Mhz, cas latency 9

2. 1600MHz, cas latency 8

Then Kingston is 2000Mhz, with either cas latency 8 or 9.

While generally, The higher the MHz on the ram the better your computer will run, These cpus ( cant handle speeds that high unless you overclock.

What they'll do is underclock the ram to 1333Mhz. So, Unless you find ram thats cheaper than what 1333MHz ddr3 ram, i would suggest getting that instead.

As for the Cas, This just mean the delay between sending out packets of data. meaning the lower the better. Although most people have a hard time telling the difference visually between different cas when running there computer.
m
l
April 5, 2010 10:43:29 PM

Thank you greatly warmon6, you've helped me do this biuld much quicker than it would've taken me simply by heading me in the right direction. The plan is over the next few days to get the parts and then get to work.....
Thanks again for your help and to the others who answered these questions. At first it was very tricky but now it's all becoming clear, well clearer.
Take care
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 6, 2010 1:59:14 PM

No problem. As said before. if you got anymore questions, just feel free to ask.

Good luck on your build.
April 16, 2010 5:08:00 AM

Best answer selected by hail666.
m
l
!