Sign in with
Your question

HELP - CPU fan is in the way of the PSU

Last response: in Components
April 3, 2010 8:23:11 AM

I can't change my PSU to my new 500w AKASA because when I slide the PSU out to remove it the fan is in the way so I can't lift it out of the case.
Please Help me get my PSU out of the case, can I just remove the cover from the top of the fan or do I have to remove the whole CPU fan (I have tried removing the cover from the top of the pan but it won't come off easily
THANK YOU EVERYBODY

PICTURES OF MY PC BELOW

More about : cpu fan psu

a c 248 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2010 8:49:15 AM

Looks like you will have to remove the cpu heatsink and fan in order to remove the power supply.
April 3, 2010 9:07:44 AM

Isn' there any other way, and is the cpu heatsink hard to remove, do you just remove the four screws and lift.
By the way the screws have springs in them will they fly out once they are unscrewed.
THANK YOU JohnnyLucky
Related resources
April 3, 2010 9:28:16 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
Looks like you will have to remove the cpu heatsink and fan in order to remove the power supply.

So can I remove the CPU air intake duct or not, do I have to remove the whole fan
April 3, 2010 10:08:53 AM

Removing a CPU heatsink is quite easy. Just loosen the screws and pull the cooler up. There might be some tension because of the thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu heatspreader. The springs are there to push down the heatsink on the heatspreader properly as the screws are tightened... so basically when you loosen them they won't shoot through your roof or anything.
When reseating the heatsink it would be a good idea to also change the thermal paste as the paste might get air bubbles in it which reduce the thermal conductivity
April 3, 2010 10:18:46 AM

Nowa said:
Removing a CPU fan is quite easy. Just loosen the screws and pull the cooler up. There might be some tension because of the thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu heatspreader. The springs are there to push down the heatsink on the heatspreader properly as the screws are tightened... so basically when you loosen them they won't shoot through your roof or anything.
When reseating the heatsink it would be a good idea to also change the thermal paste as the paste might get air bubbles in it which reduce the thermal conductivity

Is there anyway just to remove the black air duct by unscrewing those screw, should I try that, because I don't have any thermal paste at the moment.
April 3, 2010 10:31:08 AM

I'm not familiar with this cooling(duct) system but It should be possible. From the pictures it looks like there are screws on the sides of the duct. The problem here might be that the PSU could be blocking some of the screws and you can't detach the duct without removing the whole cpu heatsink.
April 3, 2010 10:37:20 AM

Nowa said:
I'm not familiar with this cooling(duct) system but It should be possible. From the pictures it looks like there are screws on the sides of the duct. The problem here might be that the PSU could be blocking some of the screws and you can't detach the duct without removing the whole cpu heatsink.

Nowa< I don't know how to thank you are the most helpful person in the world.
Thank you so much :)  :)  :) 

April 3, 2010 10:46:40 AM

You're welcome mate. I'm just glad I could be of help :) 
a c 144 ) Power supply
a c 172 à CPUs
April 3, 2010 2:46:21 PM

It looks like you will need to remove the complete cooler.

You want to be really careful. Your cooler has a back supporting plate. That's what those screws fit into.

If you are really unlucky, the plate will shift and then you will need to remove the motherboard to replace the cooler.

It also looks as if a screw starter type screwdriver will really come in handy.
April 3, 2010 4:18:01 PM

jsc said:
It looks like you will need to remove the complete cooler.

You want to be really careful. Your cooler has a back supporting plate. That's what those screws fit into.

If you are really unlucky, the plate will shift and then you will need to remove the motherboard to replace the cooler.

It also looks as if a screw starter type screwdriver will really come in handy.

What do you mean complete cooler and what is a screw starter type screwdriver, how does it work?
What screw on the motherboard will I have to remove to get the cone shaped air duct off.
Thank you jsc
a c 144 ) Power supply
a c 172 à CPUs
April 3, 2010 5:22:32 PM

Complete cooler - you have the actual cooler/fan combo and a shroud for it.

A screwstarter is a Phillips (in this case) screwdriver with a set of spring jaws that will hold the screw while you place the screw in its threaded hole. It's very handy when you need to put a screw where you do not have enough room to get a finger or two in to hold the screw onto the end of the screwdriver.

The air duct will probably have 2 to 4 screws holding it on to the cooler. If you take the duct off, you may have enough room to slide the old PSU out, but it looks like you do not quite have enough room.

The standard Intel HSF (Heat Sink Fan) uses something called pushpins to hold the HSF in place. These can be difficult to install correctly.The larger coolers use a backing plate underneath the motherboard. This is more secure than pushpins, but you generally need to remove the motherboard.

Whatever you need to do, I recommend that you set the case on its top before you unscrew the 4 screws that hold the PSU in. That will prevent the PSU from falling on anything expensive.
April 3, 2010 6:16:06 PM

jsc said:
Complete cooler - you have the actual cooler/fan combo and a shroud for it.

A screwstarter is a Phillips (in this case) screwdriver with a set of spring jaws that will hold the screw while you place the screw in its threaded hole. It's very handy when you need to put a screw where you do not have enough room to get a finger or two in to hold the screw onto the end of the screwdriver.

The air duct will probably have 2 to 4 screws holding it on to the cooler. If you take the duct off, you may have enough room to slide the old PSU out, but it looks like you do not quite have enough room.

The standard Intel HSF (Heat Sink Fan) uses something called pushpins to hold the HSF in place. These can be difficult to install correctly.The larger coolers use a backing plate underneath the motherboard. This is more secure than pushpins, but you generally need to remove the motherboard.

Whatever you need to do, I recommend that you set the case on its top before you unscrew the 4 screws that hold the PSU in. That will prevent the PSU from falling on anything expensive.

Once again, another detailed and amazingly helpful answer, thank you so much jsc, now I have no worries. I am 100% sure that the PSU will come out, and I ALWAYS put the case on its side. :D 

THANK YOU SO MUCH jsc (you, Nowa and JohnnyLucky have teached me so mcuh), I will change my PSU tonight. :)  :)  :bounce: 
January 1, 2013 2:42:24 PM

Wow! I know this is an old thread but the cone and fan can be removed from the heatsink without the need to remove the whole heatsink assembly.

My PC is the same and I have just replace the same PSU. There are little plastic clips which locate the cone and fan. The fan is wired to the Motherboard but the fan adaptor is easy to remove.

Did you get it out okay?
January 4, 2013 12:10:35 AM

"Did you get it out okay?" haha are you kidding me? Do you think he even cares now? :p 

nellyrr1 said:
Wow! I know this is an old thread but the cone and fan can be removed from the heatsink without the need to remove the whole heatsink assembly.

My PC is the same and I have just replace the same PSU. There are little plastic clips which locate the cone and fan. The fan is wired to the Motherboard but the fan adaptor is easy to remove.

Did you get it out okay?
!