Checksum Error - out of ideas

poom

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
So, here's the error:

"The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum"

My Specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black
8gig G. Skill Ram
WD 320gig HDD
Biostar TA890FXE mobo
Sapphire 5870
Corsair TX750w psu

Some background: Comp has been running for 2 days now, just built it. It ran great, no errors, tried playing a few high end games and it handled them with no sweat. I was on for a few hours and decided to restart because Leagues of Legends wouldn't open. I'd click the icon, nothing happened. Maybe relevant, maybe not. So I restart for the hell of it, and get this error. No new hardware, nothing changed. This was purely a quick restart.

Happens after post right as Windows is about to start.

The first thing I did was remove one stick of ram. It started up no problems with one stick.
I then put the 2nd stick back in, same error.
Switched the ram sticks to see if the 2nd one was faulty, so now I have ram stick 2 only in slot 1. Boots fine.
Next I put the other ram stick back in, so now I have 2 ram sticks in, in reverse order, same error.
After that I tried manually resetting the CMOS on my motherboard - I followed the manual and reset the jumper correctly. Same error.
I tried again, same error.
This time I removed my GFX card to get to the battery on the mobo. I removed it for 6 minutes attempting a hard clear of the CMOS. Same error. (maybe I will try leaving it out for 15 min)
Then I try unplugging the HDD and restarting, doesn't give me the error but has nothing to boot from.
I replug the HDD in and boot, same error.
I reinstalled my Win 7 x64 on the HDD to completely wipe it of everything.
Restart, same error.
So I take out one stick of ram again, and boot up Windows and finish the installation.

This is where I am now, I don't believe it is my ram as each stick works on its own. I have been thinking about flashing the bios, but I have never done that, and it was working fine before, what could have changed this? What's the next step in troubleshooting this?

Thanks,

Poom

What speed and voltage are the I assume DDR3 G-skill Ram modules ?? -- the spec for DDR3 calls for 1333Mhz. and 1.5V -- that said many modules are either higher speed or higher voltage so you need to go into the BIOS and properly set them to the correct voltage\timings or the system will sometimes be unstable or underperform what you paid for ! (the modules are designed to be able to at least boot at the default 1333Mhz. and 1.5V but that is solely to enable you to go into the BIOS and set them up manually to the correct settings and trying to run higher voltage modules at 1.5V may cause you to be unable to load the window OS.

poom

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

Yes they are DDR3. I went into the bios and saw the DDR3 voltage set at 1.575v, but I couldn't edit any settings. I tried to unlock the bios by going into Windows and running the BIOS update utility that came with my motherboard (Tseries BIOS Update). It updated the bios while windows was running (I think that's what it did).

I reinstalled my Chipset drivers and my Video drivers and everything is running smoothly, with 1 stick. Still getting the error when using two sticks.

I am still trying to figure out how to unlock my BIOS to change the memory settings....all the settings are grayed out.

I'm stumped on manually editing the ram values

poom

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Also, using my Toverclocker program to see my system, my DDR Voltage is hovering around 1.56-1.572 volts. If I ever figure out how to change these settings, should I drop the voltage or increase the voltage when I try two sticks?

I have tried both sticks one at a time like this - each shows the correct module size, part, and both frequencies are the same, so I think the ram itself is ok.

EDIT: I'm thinking this is now a mobo issue....I have started a topic linking to this thread in the motherboard forum section, here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/279347-30-motherboard-malfunctioning

EDIT 2: I put the ram in slots 1 and 3, which I know is not correct but it is registering as having 8g installed. Strange.