Sign in with
Your question

Intel i5 2500k stress test issue?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 23, 2012 5:05:42 PM

okay so i have an intel i5 2500k and ive been stressing now for 20 minutes, anyways im looking at core temp and the clock speed is jumping from 4.8ghz to 3.3 for a couple seconds and back up to 4.8 again

is this normal?
and im getting 75-80C on full load so far
Vcore is at 1.45 i believe

a c 225 K Overclocking
September 23, 2012 5:14:19 PM

It's throttling and that's completely normal pertaining to your BIOS settings.

You can use my guide and stop that throttling but you need better cooling than you have for the temps you're reaching.
m
l
September 23, 2012 5:18:08 PM

oh, yeah i have a 212 cooler, lol anyways how long should i run prime 95 for
m
l
Related resources
a c 225 K Overclocking
September 23, 2012 5:24:54 PM

You need to run a combination of programs to attain overclocked stability P95 does not test graphics, you need to add some benchmarking programs like the 3DMarks to the mix, and P95 length of run time depends on just how you are overclocking in the first place.
m
l
September 23, 2012 6:00:48 PM

its been almost an hour and one of my cores stopped working, what should i do
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 105 K Overclocking
September 23, 2012 6:04:50 PM

You need to lower that vcore. Unless you are running a custom water cooling loop you want your vcore under 1.4v. Personally I am happier closer to 1.3v with air cooling if you want your chip to last.

As Ryan has already said your temps are too high as well. Back off on that overclock to ~4.5Ghz.
m
l
September 24, 2012 7:49:39 AM

your getting those temps even with an evo?
How long have you had it installed?
m
l
September 24, 2012 8:44:18 PM

eh about 3-4 months, im at 4.5 now, didnt stress yet though, going to do it tonight.
my vcore is 1.335 i think
m
l
September 25, 2012 5:26:52 AM

Thats what im at. 1.335 volts and a 4.5ghz overclock.

You might need better airflow in your system. I added two case fans and my load temps dropped a good 10C
m
l
a c 225 K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 11:12:37 AM

omaarrr5 said:
eh about 3-4 months, im at 4.5 now, didnt stress yet though, going to do it tonight.
my vcore is 1.335 i think

Regarding the EVO I suggest you pull it and inspect the thermal footprint, as far as thermal compound is concerned if you use too much it insulates, the purpose of thermal compound is to take the place of the air between the 2 contacting metal surfaces of the heat sink base and the CPU heat spreader.

Air is an insulator and thermal compound is a conductor of the heat, but it's only to fill the microscopic imperfections between the 2 contacting surfaces, if you used too much thermal compound it could be acting as an insulator and working against you, I would pull the heat sink and inspect the thermal footprint, it's far better to know than wonder.

If it's a thick layer squished out the sides you used too much, you want the thinnest even layer you can possibly achieve for the best temperature performance.

Regarding your 2500K, most have settled on 4.5ghz simply for longevity of the CPU, and for the fact you just don't need to run it any faster for any application we have available to us today, it will handle whatever you throw at it at 4.5ghz.

IMO unless you are running an SLI or Crossfire setup, (Dual GPUs), 1.335 is still too high, if you are running a single GPU, you should be be able to stably run somewhere between 1.310v to 1.330v, I suggest starting at 1.300v and testing for stability from that point for 4.5ghz.

You want to be 100% stable but running no more voltage than necessary for the 45x multiplier, to keep your temperatures as low as possible.

I strongly suggest you pull that EVO and inspect what's going on underneath it.
m
l
!