Is my motherboard malfunctioning?

poom

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Hi everyone, hopefully you can help me diagnose if my motherboard's RAM slots are malfunctioning.

Here's a thread I just posted this morning in the BIOS section - I am getting a Checksum error when 2 sticks of ram are in the machine. I have tested each stick individually and they seem to work fine.

Thread link: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/279344-30-checksum-error-ideas

Thanks for the help, and I appologize for starting two threads
Poom

poom

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Update:

My Specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black
8gig G. Skill Ram
WD 320gig HDD
Biostar TA890FXE mobo
Sapphire 5870
Corsair TX750w psu

Both of my ram modules are exactly the same. Both running at the default timings: 9-9-9-24. I have tried messing with the voltage in the BIOS - from -0.030v to +0.030 volts. It was sugguested to me that maybe with both ram sticks it wasn't getting enough power to boot Windows 7.

When in the BIOS, both sticks show up and I can see the timings for each. I only get the "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum." error when there are two sticks trying to run dual channel. Two sticks in seperate slots still work, as dual channel is not enabled. Both work independently.

I think I have a busted dual channel slot on my mobo. Any thoughts? My knowledge is severely limited so that might be way off

Refer to your motherboards manual to ensure proper slot seatings for dual channel operation.. I can't see you knowledge being limited as you are heading in the right direction.. It seems like you are through with all the preliminary procedures.. The only act remaining is to check your modules in few of your friends PC's.. The results you gain from there will help you get a more clearer picture.. For now, it does appears as the motherboards dual channeling is sketchy..

poom

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

Thanks for the reply, Emperus.

I have tried what it said in the manual (use slots 1 and 2, or 3 and 4) for dual channel. I have also tried skipping a slot (using 1 and 3, also tried 2 and 4). So basically I have exhausted my options on placement of the modules. Wish I had a friend around with a rig to test on. Although like I said both sticks work independently. Might have to RMA the board, blah. Is the checksum error something to do with the BIOS or is that coming from another source, say the OS or the video card?