Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 260 and 600w psu?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2010 1:49:18 PM

so, erghm, i bought a gtx 260 from zotac (ordered it from the US, i live in central america....) and i bought a 600watt psu, it only comes with one 6 pin pci express conector.... it was the best i could find here :cry: 
i'm planning on using the gtx with a 6 pin adaptor (two molex)
is this a good idea?????
a lil on info...
it's got two 12v rails with 17.5 amp each :heink:  is this good?
HELP MEEEEE :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 

More about : gtx 260 600w psu

January 21, 2010 1:54:18 PM

Eh.. sufficient maybe. It will probably end up giving you 28ish amps total (depending upon the quality of the PSU) which should run the 260. What is the name of the PSU?
January 21, 2010 1:57:10 PM

SV_Bubbles said:
Eh.. sufficient maybe. It will probably end up giving you 28ish amps total (depending upon the quality of the PSU) which should run the 260. What is the brand and name of the PSU?

it's an Omega psu.... no so famous i guess, but i had one in the past and gave me zero problems :o 
the model, i don't know :heink: 
Related resources
a c 140 U Graphics card
January 21, 2010 2:04:59 PM

Sure, just use the adapter, that is why they provide it. Alot of people use them.

I am not familar with the Omega brand, but 600W and at least one PCI-E connector should sorta give an indication it was intended for use with a graphics card. DUal 17.5A rails should be ok. Does it give a total 12V wattage, usually on the diagram under the Amp rating. Take that wattage and divide by 12, that will give you the combined amp rating. example: 360W/12V=30A
January 21, 2010 2:06:01 PM

Guessing it's this one:
http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=118...
One rail at 16a and the other at 17a from what I can tell. It's going to be slim fit for the 260. But as far as adapting the molex into a PCIE connector, there shouldn't be a problem.
---nm, that one doesn't have two 12v rails.
January 21, 2010 2:09:30 PM

jay2tall said:
Sure, just use the adapter, that is why they provide it. Alot of people use them.

I am not familar with the Omega brand, but 600W and at least one PCI-E connector should sorta give an indication it was intended for use with a graphics card. DUal 17.5A rails should be ok. Does it give a total 12V wattage, usually on the diagram under the Amp rating. Take that wattage and divide by 12, that will give you the combined amp rating. example: 360W/12V=30A

ohhhhhhh interesting!!!
thank you!
dammit, im on my work right now so i cant check that, but as soon as i can i will!!!
thank you so much!
:) 
January 21, 2010 2:10:25 PM

SV_Bubbles said:
Guessing it's this one:
http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=118...
One rail at 16a and the other at 17a from what I can tell. It's going to be slim fit for the 260. But as far as adapting the molex into a PCIE connector, there shouldn't be a problem.
---nm, that one doesn't have two 12v rails.

LOL!!!!
thanx for the help! :) 
but no, it's not that one
January 21, 2010 3:08:50 PM

Quote:
it will work even if its a super low quality PSU. 600W will run GTX 260 AWESOME!

those are good news!!! :wahoo: 
thanx!
a c 140 U Graphics card
January 21, 2010 3:23:17 PM

I don't hink I would buy a super low quality PSU if I had a choice. Cheap build = cheap parts = increased chance for failure = unhappy people.
January 21, 2010 3:27:44 PM

jay2tall said:
I don't hink I would buy a super low quality PSU if I had a choice. Cheap build = cheap parts = increased chance for failure = unhappy people.

yes, i know that, but getting a QUALITY psu is almost imposible to me :(  (or any part)
since i live in El Salvador, getting quality things is HARD...
the only way is getting them from ebay, and having them shipped to me....
so, lets say... a corsair PSU 650 watt is liker erghm... $60? just to say something.... the shipping would be somewhere around $60 as well, so that makes a total of $120 for a psu :heink: 
kinda expensive huh?...
so i bought this Omega psu, wich seems OK for me :pt1cable:  and it was $50
a c 140 U Graphics card
January 21, 2010 3:47:57 PM

^Yeah that doesn't make much sense. I don't mean a corsair, per say. But you can usually tell what a cheap PSU is if you get to hold it. They usually use crappy fan, and are shorter with a low amp rating.

Hey if it has at least one PCI-E connector and dual 17.5A rails at 600W. It will most likely work for you. It gets to be a concern when you start to push the minimum power requirements with low end units. PSU's work most efficient at 50%, so if you take a 600W PSU and run it at 300-400W you should be good to go. If you have a 400-500W PSU, pushing a low quality PSU at 80-90% is not a fantastic idea. If its a higher quiality unit, you can usually push them and their better parts keep working.
!