Gtx 260 and 600w psu?

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
so, erghm, i bought a gtx 260 from zotac (ordered it from the US, i live in central america....) and i bought a 600watt psu, it only comes with one 6 pin pci express conector.... it was the best i could find here :cry:
i'm planning on using the gtx with a 6 pin adaptor (two molex)
is this a good idea?????
a lil on info...
it's got two 12v rails with 17.5 amp each :heink: is this good?
HELP MEEEEE :cry: :cry: :cry:

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

it's an Omega psu.... no so famous i guess, but i had one in the past and gave me zero problems :eek:
the model, i don't know :heink:

Sure, just use the adapter, that is why they provide it. Alot of people use them.

I am not familar with the Omega brand, but 600W and at least one PCI-E connector should sorta give an indication it was intended for use with a graphics card. DUal 17.5A rails should be ok. Does it give a total 12V wattage, usually on the diagram under the Amp rating. Take that wattage and divide by 12, that will give you the combined amp rating. example: 360W/12V=30A

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

ohhhhhhh interesting!!!
thank you!
dammit, im on my work right now so i cant check that, but as soon as i can i will!!!
thank you so much!
:)

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

yes, i know that, but getting a QUALITY psu is almost imposible to me :( (or any part)
since i live in El Salvador, getting quality things is HARD...
the only way is getting them from ebay, and having them shipped to me....
so, lets say... a corsair PSU 650 watt is liker erghm... $60? just to say something.... the shipping would be somewhere around $60 as well, so that makes a total of $120 for a psu :heink:
kinda expensive huh?...
so i bought this Omega psu, wich seems OK for me :pt1cable: and it was $50

^Yeah that doesn't make much sense. I don't mean a corsair, per say. But you can usually tell what a cheap PSU is if you get to hold it. They usually use crappy fan, and are shorter with a low amp rating.

Hey if it has at least one PCI-E connector and dual 17.5A rails at 600W. It will most likely work for you. It gets to be a concern when you start to push the minimum power requirements with low end units. PSU's work most efficient at 50%, so if you take a 600W PSU and run it at 300-400W you should be good to go. If you have a 400-500W PSU, pushing a low quality PSU at 80-90% is not a fantastic idea. If its a higher quiality unit, you can usually push them and their better parts keep working.