Re-installed WinXP -- now no sound

metrov

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Hi,

Re-installed WinXP pro. Have no sound now, but previously sound was fine. In Device Manager it says "Legacy Audio Drivers" are fine. I have no idea what to do now.

Can someone advise, please? Thanks very much.

metrov

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
The computer brand name is "Empower." There used to be a company called "PC Club," and this is their generic, in-house built computer. It's pretty much a generic desktop, but not home-built. PC Club went out of business. The machine is about 2.5-3 years old.

RE: the drivers -- Windows says the drivers are fine. And when I have Windows look for driver updates, it comes back saying there are no drivers more recent than the ones I already have.

metrov

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Ok, well now I don't know what's going on. When I go to un-install the driver, there's no option for that. There is no driver tab on the Legacy Audio Drivers Properties window. Under "General," it just says, "Legacy Audio Drivers," then down below it says: "This device is working properly."

I'm stuck again! Thanks for the help.

metrov

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
This happened recently on my wife's machine, and I simply disabled the bad audio card, and installed a new PCI audio card. But this audio card doesn't have a "Disable" feature, so I'm not sure if installing a new audio card would work.

metrov

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Since last post, I've tried using two different Driver Locators, "Driver Agent" and "Driver Inspector." Both of them found several outdated drivers, but NEITHER one showed any indication of sound card drivers. Both showed results based on the Device Manager listings, but "Sound, Video and Game controllers" didn't even show up, whereas everything else in Device Manager showed up.

Can someone explain why this is? Shoot, I would have bought either of the Driver Locators, but why would if they can't even acknowledge the driver I need?

Thanks

metrov

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Hi,

I haven't installed any Realtek drivers yet, so I'm a little confused by your suggestion.

What are the UAA HD drivers, and where do I get them?

Do I install these UAA HD drivers over what I currently have, i.e. the Legacy Audio Drivers?

Then install the Realtek drivers over everything else?

I'm a little reluctant to take these steps without a better understanding of what we're doing.

Can you please provide a little more info?

thanks

UAA HD Drivers are the drivers windows should have installed in the first place when you did a clean install I am not sure why it installed a legacy audio driver. Like I said in previous post un install the driver via device manager then restart the computer this should install microsofts version of the driver then you can install the realtek driver on top of that.

metrov

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Like I've been trying to tell you, there is no option to UN-INSTALL the Legacy driver. Only to "Update." But when I do that, Windows can't find any drivers.

metrov

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
After trying for over a year, by some miracle, and a newly discovered tech trick, I finally succeeded in upgrading XP Pro to SP3. After that, the Realtek drivers appeared, and my sound was restored! No further measures necessary. Thanks for everyone's help!