lalluraja1

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Ok so the PSU (500w) that came with my raidmax smilodon case just did a snap, crackel, pop and gave off some smoke. :pfff:

I need some help getting a new one.

2 questions:
1. is 500 W sufficient for what I have? if not, then what do you recommend?
2. which psu do you recommend i replace it with? best performance for the money (i'm not looking for something high-end)

Stats.
MB: ASUS P5NE SLI NVIDIA's 650i
VC: GE-FORCE 8800 GTX 512 MB
AUDIO: ON BOARD
COOLER: ZALMAN CNPS 9700NT

Did I miss anything? Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

Cheers-
:D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

These guys are right, it's a quality issue not a quantity issue. Depending on your CPU, you probably never went above 320W power draw (give or take 20W) at peak load. Get a high quality unit and you'll be fine.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts and the Antec TruePower New series which are major improvements over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.