Reviving old computer: BSOD STOP: 0x0000007B and boot bcd error

ooch

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I was trying to revive an old computer that had its CPU and power supply go out, but I ran into a problem that I can't seem to figure out.

The computer is running a: 2.5ghz p4 celeron (replacement)
Soyo P4I 845PE Lite Mobo

I plugged in a wiped hard drive and tried to install windows 7 from the dvd drive. I got a boot bcd error 0xc00000e9, which says that windows has a problem with communicating with one of my connected devices. Thinking it had to be either the dvd drive or the hard drive, I tried replacing both. I replaced the dvd drive and I got the same error.

I decided to pull a hard drive from another computer running windows xp and booted from the hard drive and it gave me a BSOD STOP: 0x0000007B error. I tried to reformat the 2nd hard drive with Windows xp on it, but I got the boot bcd error 0xc00000e9 again, which makes me think it isn't the dvd drive or the hard drive since I get the same errors when replacing either.

I tried hooking everything up to a different motherboard and the BSOD with error STOP: 0x0000007B comes up again.

I'm out of ideas, can anyone help?

idejason

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Is the connection between the motherboard and the hard drives/optical drives IDE (thick ribbon cable) or SATA (Smaller thinner black, red or orange cable)

Try connecting the drives with a different cable, They're only a couple of dollars so its not much of a loss.

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I doubt a mobo as old as one support P4 has sata, and a quick google search confirmed that..
and i swear i had a similar problem on a old duron system a few weeks ago, try it with just one of your dimms in if you have more then one. Also try using different ATA cables, ones with and without that little extra pin in the middle if the drive doesnt need it, also try in different IDE/ATA slots on your motherboard