Changing Operating System on Dell Inspiron 3800

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 4, 2004 2:16:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops (More info?)

I want to change the operating system on my Dell Inspriron 3800 from Windows
98 to Windows 2000 Professional. The Windows 2000 Professional was once
loaded on a desktop computer. Can the same installation disk be used to
install W2000 on my Dell laptop computer? Will all the necessary drivers be
there? Will the CD drive still work? Will the built-in ActionTek modem
still work? Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 4, 2004 2:16:47 AM

"Hmmm..." <blahblah@blah.com> wrote in message
| I want to change the operating system on my Dell Inspriron 3800 from
Windows
| 98 to Windows 2000 Professional. The Windows 2000 Professional was once
| loaded on a desktop computer. Can the same installation disk be used to
| install W2000 on my Dell laptop computer? Will all the necessary drivers
be
| there? Will the CD drive still work? Will the built-in ActionTek modem
| still work? Thanks.

Hi Hmmm... -

You'll need drivers from Dell. Visit their website and link to the
downloads page for your model and input the Windows 2000 operating system.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 4, 2004 2:31:25 AM

Hmmm... wrote:
> I want to change the operating system on my Dell Inspriron 3800 from
> Windows 98 to Windows 2000 Professional. The Windows 2000
> Professional was once loaded on a desktop computer. Can the same
> installation disk be used to install W2000 on my Dell laptop
> computer? Will all the necessary drivers be there? Will the CD
> drive still work? Will the built-in ActionTek modem still work?
> Thanks.

I installed a generic Win2K on my Compaq laptop and as I remember everything
worked, even the modem and network adapter, which was surprising.

The only oddball was the DvD disk player software, which stopped working
under Win2K - I was able to solve this problem by downloading a new version
of the player from Compaq.

I would still check that there are Win2K drivers for your notebook first.
--

Mike Russell
www.geigy.2y.net

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops (More info?)

Re: "Can the same installation disk be used to install W2000 on my Dell
laptop computer?"

Yes, if I understand your question properly. In general, any W2K
install disk can be used with any computer (ok, it's a very broad
generalization). The exception is customized OEM install discs (see
next 2 paragraphs).

Re: "Will all the necessary drivers be there?"

Probably not; only if it was a very customized OEM CD (which might make
the disc not useable on models other than those for which it was made).

Re: "Will the CD drive still work"

Generally, yes, unless it or the controller is really oddball.

Re" "Will the built-in ActionTek modem still work"

No way to know, maybe, maybe not. But if not, you should be able to
find drivers that will support it.

STRONG SUGGESTION: Forget about Windows 2000 and install Windows XP
Professional (or possibly even Home) instead. A better OS, and far more
likely to have all of the necessary drivers, even using a generic or
retail copy.