Need advice about watercooling

Maxy90

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hello forum! I have a couple of questions I need help with for my first water cooling system.

I want to liquid cool a cpu, and maybe dual gpu's. I haven't bought anything yet, been researching online :p , although I have made up my mind on most of my components which hopefully will be:

Intel i5 2500k overclocked
Radeon HD 7970 might CF it
Asus Sabertooth Z77
OCZ ZX Series 1250W Fully-Modular 80+gold

And for the case I want to go with Corsair 650D, I could change my mind about it.

As for the liquid cooling stuff:

XSPC Raystorm CPU water block block G1/4"
Full coverage 7970 water block
Swiftech MCP655-B because its 30 bucks cheaper than 655 :p
EK-Multioption RES X2 - 150 Advanced for the reservoir
XSPC RX240 Dual 120mm High Performance Copper Radiator
PrimoFlex Pro UV tubing 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD
with compression fittings for 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD

^ That should cost around 400$ US more or less

I need help making sure all those items fit each other, and if there are anything equivalent for less, or to recommend other stuff.

Thank you in advance!

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Well first off if you're planning to cool just your CPU you should be fine. Is the pump you listed a vario (can you change the speed)? You should probably find out why it's slightly cheaper just to be safe. I wouldn't personally suggest primoflex tubing, go with durelene or masterkleer they seem to have the least issues with palsticizer, not to mention they're cheap. Also if you can fit a Alphacool Nexxxos monsta 240mm rad you might want to consider that as it'll give you a lot more heat dissipation headroom.

If going forward you plan to include you GPUs in the mix, you'll need a lot more cooling area for it. Each 7970 generates 210 watts of heat. So those two together would be 410 before any OC. You'd probably want a 360mm rad alone just to cool those two and that would be without any OC. With an OC maybe 2 240mm for em.

It definitely looks like you've done your research and that's awesome. Are you set on the case? You might want to consider going for a NZXT Switch 810, it means you could fit a 240mm in the bottom and another 360/420 up top which would be adequate to cool everything. Hope this helps

Maxy90

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I do want to cool my cpu and a single gpu for now, probably another down the road. As for the pump its the basic version that's why its 30$ cheaper than the vario one.
I might consider the NZXT Switch 810 I checked it out and it looks pretty nice. Can I fit a 360mm in the top, 240mm in the bottom and another 240mm/120mm in the back/rear or is that overkill for a cpu and two graphic cards?

Thanks for the tips Scopey!

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
You would have trouble fitting an additional 120 in the back if you put a 420/360 up top, and I wouldn't reccomend it. Just to give you an idea I'm using a switch 810 right now with an OCed 3570k and a GTX 690 (which in the end would basically be equivalent to the heat output of your system give or take a bit) with a 420mm rad up top and a 240 on the bottom and my temps stay nice and low with no problems whatsoever. So in a nutshell that would be a sweet spot in terms of cooling for you now and when you add a second card.

Hope that helps