Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Gaming Computer to be Bought at Summer, TAKE A LOOK!!!!!!!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2010 10:39:20 AM

Hello folks! I'm preparing for my first gaming-rig which I will purchase during summer. Here's what I've got so far, take a look and give advice!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Summer Holiday

BUDGET RANGE: Approximately $1,400

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Movies, Surfing on the Internet

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I live in Thailand... So no use of that!

PARTS PREFERENCES: (Personal Preferences) Intel>AMD

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Need Suggestions

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Adjustable fan speeds, loud when at load, whispering at IDLE.

Okay, so now here is the actual parts I'm looking at right now, take a look and give advices! ALL ADVICES ARE VERY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!

Thermaltake Element S

ASUS Maximus III Formula

Intel Core i7-860

Zalman CNPS9900 NT for CPU Cooler (If you guys don't know, it's the CNPS9900A LED but it's Black-Pearl Nickel Plated) OR Corsair H50 if I can find one in Thailand...

ATi Radeon HD 5770

Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 2 * 2GB

Antec TruePower 750w OR Corsair HX750w if I can find one in Thailand...... :pfff: 

WesternDigital Caviar Black 500GB * 2 (In RAID 0 configuration)

So there it is! Feel free to comment!

More about : gaming computer bought summer

a b 4 Gaming
January 28, 2010 11:01:54 AM

IF it is mainly for gaming, invest more on the GPU than the CPU...

CPU - i5 750...with the money saved, get the HD 5850...

Mobo - ASUS Maximus ? Are you into high overclocking ? If yes, then only go with it else better off investing in a cheaper good board like the PRO/ EVO and saving for the graphics card...

CPU cooler - That Zalman is not a good option for that price...try an get the CM Hyper 212+...It will perform better than that CPU cooler...

HDD - RAID 0 ? They offer performance gains in Server environemts and have little effect in day-to-day usage...
And get the Samsung F3s or the Seagate 7200.12 drives...they are faster...
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 28, 2010 11:17:45 AM

Might want to come back a few weeks before you actually buy it. Tech will change a lot in the next few months...

Agree with everything gkay said. I'll add that typically Corsair RAM is overpriced. Try to find some cheap 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 sticks.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b 4 Gaming
January 28, 2010 11:23:19 AM

Here is a good article about CPU heatsinks. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/lga-1156-heatsink,review-... After reading this I've kind of come to the conclusion that the Scythe Mugen is the better value option, I mean if you look through all the charts it is rarely outside the top 3. And it is apparently only slightly more expensive than the Hyper 212.
m
l
January 29, 2010 6:07:57 AM

First of all, thanks for all the replies, appreciated it!

Okay, I've taken the advice and made some changes, I WOULD like to overclock in the future, but not just now because I want to read more articles about it first.

As for the CPU, I've been thinking of getting a 1366 board and get a i7-920, don't know if that'll be nice...

Oh and, I'm investing much into this computer and I'm expecting it to last for a good 3-4 years, I'm not rich and I'm not going to change compouter every year!

But I will be adding parts to in the future, like Crossfiring it...

Thansk for all the advice, I'll try to change the list when I get home... I'm at school!

See ya~
m
l