Sign in with
Your question

Last minute advice GamingPC

Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2010 12:26:28 PM

All advice is greatly appreciated!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Today/tomorrow

BUDGET RANGE: 800-900 USD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, surfing, random work (e.g word)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: monitor, keyboad, mouse, OS, DVD player

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Scratching this one because it's in swedish, if you have a suggestion just give me a link to newegg or something and I'll find it there.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Sweden

PARTS PREFERENCES: I've put together a build which I would like some feedback:

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8093/slutgiltiga.png

Total in USD: 910

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Want the PC to last at least 3-4 years and after that time I want to be able to put in a second 5770 crossfire and be back in the ring. Mainly play wow but other new games too (e.g Bioshock, Far cry) and I want to be able to play these and upcoming titles without lagg and with descent graphics. I however don't have any need whatsoever being able to max out games like crysis. Multitasking is great but not top priority.

Thanks in advance for all help!

More about : minute advice gamingpc

January 28, 2010 12:32:30 PM

Looks good. The 5770 is overkill for that monitor, so it'd be good to start planning to replace it. One 5770 will be good for anything under 1900x resolution, but once you Crossfire, you don't have to worry about that.
January 28, 2010 12:38:40 PM

Yeah, I might look into a new monitor. But that'll have to wait a little bit. One question, I was told from another guy that I only need 550w to run 5770s in CF, and he also recommended another pair of RAM, which are CL9 but 1600mhz and cheaper (http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=491282) what do you think?

Thanks again admiral!

edit: How does the i5 compare to this CPU?
Related resources
January 28, 2010 12:44:30 PM

550W would be cutting it close. That would be more than enough to power what you have now, but once the PSU starts to age, more devices get added, or you overclock, you're pushing that limit. I would stick with the 650W to be safe.

Either set of RAM would be fine. I'm inclined to go with the cheaper set. It won't really make that big of a difference.
January 28, 2010 12:50:13 PM

Ok, I'll give the PSU some extra thought. Trying to get it all as cheap as possible, and I don't know that I will put in that much more stuff, nor OC but still you have a point.

Ok I'll get the cheaper RAM.

One last question, Core i5 750, 2.66GHz how does that compare to the Phenom? Was told, that would be a better choice, and now I'm having a hard time making a decision. I'd rather not switch since it's a little more expensive, but then if the difference is huge... also, don't take into account OC, probably won't do that.
January 28, 2010 1:02:33 PM

For your budget, I would stick with the X4. The i5 is the best gaming CPU, but i5 builds are more expensive. The board will probably cost you at least another $50-100. In a gaming build, the most important part is the GPU, so that extra $100 can really hurt the gaming performance.
January 28, 2010 1:22:46 PM

Alright then, well then I'm set to order except for one thing. The case, think that's enough of a case to get around? It's really cheap, but still I don't care about blinking lights and stuff like that. As long as it fits and the airflow is ok.
January 28, 2010 1:25:43 PM

The case should be fine. If you're really worried about it, check the price of the Antec 200 or Antec 300. They'll probably be more expensive, but they're high quality.
January 28, 2010 1:37:11 PM

Alright then. And this PSU, it supports the GPU in both single and CF mode right? the corsair 650w TX 80+
January 28, 2010 1:39:09 PM

The 650W has enough power for Crossfire. You may need to buy an adaptor to get the right connector, but that shouldn't be an issue.
January 28, 2010 1:43:02 PM

yeah it was the connecting I was worried about. But then ok, there are adaptor's worst case scenario. Anyway, again, thank you so much for your help MadAdmiral. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it, you've been a tremendous help
!