Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Dead?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 24, 2012 8:54:57 PM

I have been having problems with my PC the last week or so and I have been trying to get to the bottom of it and at first I thought it was my RAM but now I think it is my CPU, because every time I start running Prime95 my PC instantly freezes just as it starts up the first blend test. I am worried that it is because I put on a new cooler and when I was taking the thermal compound off it may have been possible I got some alcohol on the top green part of the CPU

Does anyone have any insight

Thanks.

More about : cpu dead

Best solution

a c 188 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2012 9:30:26 PM

roaddoc326 said:
I have been having problems with my PC the last week or so and I have been trying to get to the bottom of it and at first I thought it was my RAM but now I think it is my CPU, because every time I start running Prime95 my PC instantly freezes just as it starts up the first blend test. I am worried that it is because I put on a new cooler and when I was taking the thermal compound off it may have been possible I got some alcohol on the top green part of the CPU

Does anyone have any insight

Thanks.

may be some of the thermal paste may have gotten on the cpu pins or the cpu not sitting all the way down. happens when you try and break the cpu from the thermal pastes.i would try and reseat the cpu and check for seating and bent pins.
September 24, 2012 9:36:21 PM

smorizio said:
may be some of the thermal paste may have gotten on the cpu pins or the cpu not sitting all the way down. happens when you try and break the cpu from the thermal pastes.i would try and reseat the cpu and check for seating and bent pins.

Ive reseated it as well as everything in my PC 3 times...also I didnt think an LGA 1155 had pins.
m
l
Related resources
September 25, 2012 5:24:24 AM

Im pretty sure all sockets have pins..

And its most likely your ram. If the cpu was dead your pc wouldnt start.
m
l
September 30, 2012 7:48:25 PM

Best answer selected by roaddoc326.
m
l
!