Sign in with
Your question

What fittings would I need?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 24, 2012 10:40:02 PM

So I am going to install my first water cooling system in a PC. I am keeping it pretty simple since it is my first attempt.
The part list is as follows (the products are hyper-linked in case you can not tell):
MCRES Micro Rev2 Reservoir
MCP655-B Pump
MCRx20-XP "eXtreme Performance" Radiator Series (Tripple 120mm Version)
Apogee HD CPU Waterblock
3/4" Vinyl Tubing
Fill-port fittings (panel mount) with 1/2" barb
Remote fill-port fitting for MCRes Micro (Rev2)
Swiftech suggested the two fitting listed above for better performance than those included with the Apogee HD Waterblock.

My question is "Do I need any other fittings or adapters to connect the 3/4" tubing to the waterblock, radiator, and/or reservoir."

Also, is this a decent watercooling setup?

More about : fittings

September 25, 2012 12:54:27 AM

Oh yeah, and Swiftech only has green coolant, but I am looking for a blue coolant. Any suggestion?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 1:06:14 AM

Don't buy coolant if it isn't mayhem's, anything else tends to gunk up your system pretty bad in the long run. As for tubing, get durelene or Masterkleer its cheap and doesn't seem to leech plasticizer as badly as other brands. As for your fittings you're going to need 2 fittings for each component of the loop. I'd reccomend bitspower fittings though they're pricey they're worth it. Make sure you match up the ID and OD on your fittings to your tubing.
As for whether or not this is a good loop it's borderline overkill for just a CPU :p  so you should be fine.
m
l
Related resources
a c 150 K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 2:00:04 AM

Colored tubing, distilled water, and a kill coil!
Is there any reason why everything is swiftech!?
m
l
September 25, 2012 2:32:59 AM

scopey86 said:
Don't buy coolant if it isn't mayhem's, anything else tends to gunk up your system pretty bad in the long run. As for tubing, get durelene or Masterkleer its cheap and doesn't seem to leech plasticizer as badly as other brands. As for your fittings you're going to need 2 fittings for each component of the loop. I'd reccomend bitspower fittings though they're pricey they're worth it. Make sure you match up the ID and OD on your fittings to your tubing.
As for whether or not this is a good loop it's borderline overkill for just a CPU :p  so you should be fine.

Thanks for the post! The reason I have it overkill for only a CPU is because I plan to eventually expand the cooling to a couple of GPU's.
m
l
September 25, 2012 2:36:33 AM

amuffin said:
Colored tubing, distilled water, and a kill coil!
Is there any reason why everything is swiftech!?

I chose all Swiftech because a person I know swears by thy brand and I trust him when it comes to water cooling, but I'll get what the previous poster recommended.
m
l
September 25, 2012 3:05:17 AM

scopey86 said:

Do you recommend any certain kind of mayhems coolant.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 3:08:24 AM

Swiftech radiators are pretty good, but if I were in your boat I'd consider going for the Alphacool Nexxxos UT60 360mm rad instead, it's probably among the, if not the best radiator series you can get right now. I'll be honest as long as I'm saying it lol the all swiftech threw me off too. I'd also reconsider your reservoir, maybe go with an XSPC dual bay reservoir that has a compartment for fitting that pump in. Like this one:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11219/ex-res-232/XSPC...

I just got one for myself recently and like it a lot.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 3:31:56 AM

I run 2 Swiftech MCR 320's and while I'll admit they are good for the money, I wouldn't buy them again. There are better performing rads out there for a little more cost.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 3:57:53 AM

XSPC RX360.
m
l
September 25, 2012 4:19:58 AM

scopey86 said:
Swiftech radiators are pretty good, but if I were in your boat I'd consider going for the Alphacool Nexxxos UT60 360mm rad instead, it's probably among the, if not the best radiator series you can get right now. I'll be honest as long as I'm saying it lol the all swiftech threw me off too. I'd also reconsider your reservoir, maybe go with an XSPC dual bay reservoir that has a compartment for fitting that pump in. Like this one:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11219/ex-res-232/XSPC...

I just got one for myself recently and like it a lot.

I would grab that reservoir, but it is too big for where I plan to put it.
m
l
September 25, 2012 4:34:27 AM

All right, I think with all of the help from you guys, I have found a proper water cooling setup.
Products are as follows (once again hyper-linked in case you can not tell):
Swiftech Apogee HD High Performance 4-Port CPU Waterblock - White Apogee-HD-WT
Swiftech MCRES Micro Revision 2 Reservoir
Swiftech MCP655 - Liquid cooling system pump
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 480mm
PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD (10ft pack)
Bitspower BP-BSCPF-HFCC5 G3/8" Compression Fitting for ID 1/2" OD 3/4" Tube - Black Sparkle
X1 - UV Blue Coolant 1ltr

I found a case that can fit and hide a quad rad and the reservoir, but it is a little more money than I want to spend on a case. Anyone have a suggestion of a case that his a side panel window and can hide a quad rad easily? Here is the link for the case I found: SilverStone Temjin Series TJ07B-W-USB3.0 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 5:11:41 AM

No there aren't many cases out there that can house a quad radiator easily that are at a reasonable price range. Though it still seems redundant to have the X1 UV Blue Coolant and UV Blue tubing. I really think you should consider switching to Durelene or Masterkleer for your tubing, Mayhem's actually recommends Masterkleer.

As for a case maybe you should consider getting a switch 810 or a CM Cosmos II. I'd probably go with the Switch because it's cheaper. With it you can fit a slim profile 420mm radiator up top (such as an XSPC EX Rad, but it will require some drilling, or if you'd rather not you can get a Hardware Labs Slim 420mm rad and it'll fit in there without needing any drilling) and another 240mm radiator in the bottom of the case.
m
l
September 25, 2012 12:35:38 PM

And as for the case, I found the swiftech for $100 off at a local computer store
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 2:59:28 PM

Why the Apogee and not a Raystorm, EK, Koolance or other block?

Swiftech isn't the best when it comes to blocks. Pumps yes, even though they use the same re-branded Laing pumps most others use.

I also own the MicroRes but don't currently use it. It's small, but kind of a pain considering the design of it.

Also- what's the deal with the 'coolant'? You don't need/want it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 7:09:24 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Why the Apogee and not a Raystorm, EK, Koolance or other block?

Swiftech isn't the best when it comes to blocks. Pumps yes, even though they use the same re-branded Laing pumps most others use.

I also own the MicroRes but don't currently use it. It's small, but kind of a pain considering the design of it.

Also- what's the deal with the 'coolant'? You don't need/want it.

You don't need watercooling either :kaola:  lol.

10 feet is plenty, that's neough for just about any loop configuration in most pcs.

I'm also with rubix on the raystorm, I've never used/had experience with the apogee, but can personally vouch for the raystorm.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 7:20:31 PM

I'm just a water purist and really don't like the use of coolants if possible...there are a lot of different outcomes based on coolant used and personal operation and usage, so it's hard to gauge what's going to happen to that goop over the course of time.
m
l
September 25, 2012 8:34:07 PM

Yes! I wanted that watetblock because of the LEDs, but it was not recommended to me by anyone. So I will defiantly get the Raystorm. About the coolant, I thought I read that it is good to use coolant to prevent corrosion. Is water even better than coolant?
m
l
September 25, 2012 8:46:27 PM

As for the reservoir, I already got the comouter case and already have the perfect spot for it. Thank you concern/input though.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 9:41:18 PM

Where did you read that about corrosion? If you aren't using aluminum in your loop, you shouldn't have much issue with corrosion.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 10:16:50 PM

Like rubix said don't worry about corrosion unless your mixing aluminium and other metals. Again if you want to go for coolant, Mayhems Pastel or X1 or stick with distilled water. Water will always give you slightly better temps than any coolant though (a degree or two tops vs Mayhems I think tops).
m
l
September 25, 2012 10:24:00 PM

Since I am already using UV blue tubing, I'll go with distilled water. Now I don't have to pay extra for coolant :) 
m
l
September 26, 2012 12:04:00 AM

So I actually went and got a Switch 810 case instead. Here is a diagram of what I think I am going to do. Green means what I plan to do now, and blue means what I plan to do in the future. Red means tubing now, and purple means tubing later.

In case the diagram is to messy to understand:
Now setup:
-Reservoir in the harddrive bay send water to the 360mm rad up top
-the 360mm rad send water to the CPU block
-the CPU block send water to the pump
-pump sends water to reservoir

Future setup:
-water from reservoir to 360mm rad
-360mm rad to cpu block
-cpu block to pump
-pump to bottom mounted 240mm rad
-240mm rad to gtx 680
-gtx 680 to other gtx 680 via sli fitting
-gtx 680 to reservoir

Does the two setups sound good?
P.S. I am more concerned if the bow setup is right.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2012 3:03:14 AM

You don't really want to put the pump above the radiator like that. In that setup I'd put it on top of the PSU maybe? Also the purple setup is not a good idea at all, you always want the pump to be right after the reservoir.
m
l
September 26, 2012 4:03:18 AM

-Reservor to Pump
-Pump to Rad
-Rad to CPU
-CPU to Res

-Res to Pump
-Pump to 360mm Rad
-360mm Rad to CPU
-CPU to 240mm Rad
-240mm Rad to top GTX 680
-Top GTX 680 to bottom GTX 680
-Bottom GTX 680 to Res
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2012 4:56:01 AM

The second configurationj will not work. The reason why you have the reservoir before the pump is so that when you're filling your loop you never need to worry about burning out your pump by not having any liquid flowing through it. Your first one in this post and the red lines in the original are the two options you got.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 26, 2012 2:44:44 PM

Bay res/pump combo would be a strong consideration for your build based on space.
m
l
September 26, 2012 2:58:55 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Bay res/pump combo would be a strong consideration for your build based on space.

Yeah, I agree with you. I'll get the previously recommended res/pump combo.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 26, 2012 3:00:52 PM

Might be your best bet to condense space and simplify your loop.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2012 7:36:52 PM

Keep in mind that a full thickness 360/420 rad up top will only be able to have fans up top and not on the bottom as well, if you want to do push pull you need a slimline rad (Alphacool XT series or XSPC EX).
m
l
September 26, 2012 8:40:17 PM

I see what you mean. What fans would you recommend for the slim Rad?
m
l
September 26, 2012 10:17:55 PM

-Res and pump combo to slim rad
-slim rad to cpu
-cpu back to res and pump combo

-Res and pump combo to bottom slim rad
-bottom slim rad to gpu
-gpu to gpu
-gpu to slim top rad
-slim top rad to cpu
-cpu to res and pump combo
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 27, 2012 12:26:29 AM

Why the 2 images?

Also, are you getting a crossflow rad or a dual pass? Most rads are dual pass and the inlet/outlet are on the same end. Crossflow has opposite end I/O.

Also please realize that tubing and routing isn't as simple as it is to draw it in MS paint- you're going to have to make sure you have clearance for fittings and tubing. Your reservoir ports also aren't going to exist as you have them drawn, either.
m
l
September 27, 2012 2:01:39 AM

I put my current components onto the Switch 810 today. I also got the fittings today as well. I went and got the dimensions of some fans, a Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm, and the XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir. I made a cardboard cutout of the push/pull rad setup and the reservoir. I put the fittings in the general location of where they would be on the item themselves, and put them in my case. I was able to figure out a way to let the tubes be able to get into the fittings and for all the items to have a place to stay. I am happy to say that I believe that I found a proper setup for the water cooling. I would also like to say thanks to everyone for their help. I just asked about fittings at first, but you guys spent your time to help me get the right items and on where to place them. For that I thank you guys very much.
m
l
!