Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Newbie....flash, bios update?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 29, 2010 2:53:51 PM

Hello,

I am new to building and have purchased a P6X58D. Everything went great, got a 930 installed and a 5770, Win7 64.

The question I have is about the disk that came with the board and the bios stuff.

I tried to do this bios thing through the internet and nothing happened, said there was no applicable bios for me. Does that sound right?

The only other thing I saw on the disk to load were I believe 'chipset' drivers? I did those.

Part of questions is this: I have read that flashing bios, may not be the same as updating the bios, and eitherway, it may not be necessary to do either unless one is having a proble. Are they the same thing and do I need to worry about either if everything is running smooth.

The other question I have is about this CMOS. I see several threads where folks talk about resetting CMOS, cleaning CMOS etc. This too I have seen as leave well enough alone if everything is work fine.

When does on do these things, and is there a link(s) discussing them? and should I even do any of this if my system is running ok now.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2010 3:42:02 PM

Flashing the BIOS (same as Updating the BIOS) is sometimes risky (If the system loses power during the Flash process the MOBO will no longer function at all and can not be recovered resulting in a dead MOBO) - so this process is usually not done unless you have to (for example if you are using a newer CPU and the MOBO bios needs an update to recognize the CPU and operate at the correct settings (It can still run usually but may not be optimal performance if it does not have the proper microcode for that CPU)) - If all is working well and the BIOS lists the CPU correctly then no need to do this unless there is a specific problem you are having that the maker has released a ne version of the BIOS to correct.

The CMOS is the portion of volatile RAM that keeps the default settings for the system stored when power is shut down (It has a small battery on the MOBO that keeps power to it even when the MOBO is shut down or unplugged) - THe primary reason for resetting the CMOS is if there has been a problem with some BIOS setting that needs to be cleared and until it is cleared the MOBO will not boot (ie. you tried to OC the system to too high a speed and saved the BIOS with that setting and the system is stuck in a boot loop.) - to reset it you need to remove the power (either by setting up a jumper switch that is designed to do this on the MOBO or by unplugging the system from the wall outlet, removing the silver CMOS battery from the MOBO and pressing the start button to drain all of the power (some people recommend leaving it out for several minutes but pressing the start button accomplishes this without the need to wait) - BY removing all power to the CMOS it is cleared and on next boot will reload the default settings that are stored in the nonvolatile BIOS (the BIOS needs no power to store it's info as it will stay stored permenently even without power) and can sometimes recover the MOBO if a setting has been written to the CMOS that is corrupt or too high for the system to use. The CMOS reset is normally only done if the MOBO will not boot and is a step to try before resorting to a BIOS Flash if the system is not booting properly
August 29, 2010 6:09:29 PM

Well, am I glad I found this board...this is everything i asked for.

So as I understand it, one can not damage the system clearing the CMOS, it just restores the original state.

Thanks again. I will select you as best answer....do you get an award for that :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2010 7:10:56 PM

Correct - clearing the CMOS will not damage anything though it could make things not have the best performance (ie. if you have memory that runs at a faster speed or lower latency than the default settings then clearing the CMOS Will set them back to running at the default speed instead of the higher performance settings - This is because the default settings are more stable and getting the system up and running is the objective) -- so after resetting the CMOS you normally want to go back into the BIOS and adjust the settings again to get better performance but it provides a stable starting point to do that from !
m
l
August 29, 2010 10:39:47 PM

Best answer selected by jerryl.
m
l
!