• Graphics Cards
  • DVI
  • Monitors
  • VGA
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2010 7:40:15 PM

Hi,

I have a (very) old pc with on board vga graphics, and a new 24" monitor with dvi connectivity.
I bought a dvi - vga adapter so I could connect the pc to the monitor, but did not get any output.
What am I doing wrong? Is it possibe to do this?

Thanks

More about : connecting vga gfx dvi monitor

a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 21, 2010 8:10:41 PM

Depends on your monitor, but I don't think so. If your monitor doesn't have a VGA port then it probably isn't expecting to receive an analog signal and is instead looking for a digital signal.
January 21, 2010 8:17:25 PM

megamanx00 said:
Depends on your monitor, but I don't think so. If your monitor doesn't have a VGA port then it probably isn't expecting to receive an analog signal and is instead looking for a digital signal.

Hi, thanks for your reply, but I think the monitor is capable of receiving an analog signal.
It cycles through the various modes hdmi, digital, analog but picks up nothing from any of them.
Related resources
January 24, 2010 10:13:23 AM

Well in the end I managed to get round this by using a straight vga-vga cable as the monitor has a vga input as well.
March 10, 2010 11:56:07 PM

Hello,
I have a similar situation
I tried the adapter on one end of the dvi connector but it did not work
I am guessing it's because it cannot convert the analog signal to digital
Is that correct

My question is would it work if I add an adapter on each end of the digital cable ?
Basically I am transforming a digital cable into a vga cable so I am going from the vga output on the pc to an adapter to a dvi cable and on the other end from the dvi cable to an adapter to the vga input of the monitor

This is a fairly new monitor for me so I don't know what all the settings do
I noticed on the menu there is an option to switch from analog to digital
I am guessing I have to switch to the analog setting if I am using the vga cable is that correct ?
March 20, 2010 11:40:51 PM

Just to reply to my own question here

For whatever reason the common vga to dvi adapter is not made to be compatible with most dvi cables that come with the newer monitors
Most dvi cables come in digital only. I am assuming that most vga adapters are made for digital/analog type dvi cable
So the adapter is not going to work in most cases

However all is not lost
With a little bit of hard work it can be made compatible
I had 2 vga adapters and one digital only cable
What I did was I took apart the 2 vga adapters by removing all the plastic and wires and I added new wires by using the pinout from the digital only dvi cable
So basically I made a vga cable the hard way The adapters were cheap enough and I work in electronics so I have access to a soldering iron and wires so it was fairly easy to do for me
!