Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My Phenom II x4 965 BE is showing 3 cores

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 3, 2010 11:10:28 PM

I bought a cpu of craigslist like a dumbo and didn't notice that it was only showing up 3 cores in windows 7

now I know and i was wondering if I got a good deal and what could have been done to make it only show 3 cores.
I was also thinking about later on just buying the same processor and putting it into the mb would this be a good idea? Money aside I just need a gaming cpu I haven't had a new cpu since 98 so this is nice either way to me.
Keep in mind he will give me 720 back out of the 760 the other 40 is for his "time" even though I had to drive 2 hours each way to get it lol..
Sorry for the story figured you guys might wonder how I got a core 3 out of a 4 lol..

anyways to my point..
http://img251.imageshack.us/i/cpu2r.jpg/
http://img255.imageshack.us/i/cpu1j.jpg/

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE CPU (only shows 3 cores though i bought this whole rig for 760)
windows 7
64 bit
biostar ta790gx a3+ mb
xfx 5770 1gb
4gb xms3 corsair
antec 650w +60 psu
antec case with 5 120 fans

Best solution

a c 133 à CPUs
April 3, 2010 11:18:01 PM

Before you do anything open msconfig by pressing the start + r and type msconfig then go to boot tab and then advanced options chek number of processors and see if it lets you put it to 4. If that dont work go into bios and see if somehow its disabled I think it should be in the ACC menu.

Also try reseting the bios by removing the battery from the motherboard for a minute remember to unplug the computer first.

And last thing you can try is update bios to the latest if its a revision C3 CPU it needs an updated bios for it to work correctly.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/t-series/bios.php?S_ID...

I doubt the CPU is bad so update the bios.

The more I think about it the guy might have installed windows with a different processor like an Phenom II x3 so definitely check the msconfig settings.

I do think you overpaid for that system too TBH.
Related resources
a c 133 à CPUs
April 3, 2010 11:41:24 PM

Raidur said:
There is a thread about that in the link below.

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=319&t....

Looks like a few people had the same problem with the C3 versions, and it was fixed by re-seating the CPU.

A bios update wouldn't hurt though.

It says on biostars support page says it needs the latest bios to run c3 CPUs
m
l
April 3, 2010 11:41:32 PM

ok only 3 cores under advanced options
he gave me the box when I bought it with receipt and everything I asked him if he ever overclocked it he sweared up and down he never did but its a black edition...'

in my mb book under acc it shows nothing but ill look and see if i can see anything saying acc settings

anything special i should use to take out the battery i know i need to touch the power supply to ground myself but that's about it
m
l
April 4, 2010 12:32:27 AM

ok my bios says
main/advanced/pci-pnp/boot/chipset/t-series

under advanced i went to cpu config figured maybe this is what you ment

here's what it says

cpu config
(sorry bad handwriting here) modulever:13.c1 or 01 i believe sorry =/
agesa ver 3.4.7.0
physical count:1
logical count:4
amd phneom IIx4 965 processor
cache l1 512kb
cache l2 2048kb
cache l3 6mb
speed 3400 mhz mb clk 2000mhz
ncih+ speed 200 mhz, width i/o: 16/16bit
able to change freq: yes
ucode patch level:o x1000086
secure virtual machine mode enabled
cool n quiet enabled
acpi srat table enabled
probe filter auto
C1E support disable
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
April 4, 2010 12:45:22 AM

Did you try clearing the bios by takeing the battery out also try reseating the processor like Raid said. Bios update could be it too. If I were you make that guy give you all your money back and build one yourself for $760 you could of built something yourself better.
m
l
April 4, 2010 1:47:07 AM

the guy wont give me the money back hes being a donkey =/
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 2:04:18 AM

Try taking the CPU out of the system and closely inspect it for any bent\broken pins and also check the MOBO for any deformed holes in the socket then replace it in the socket put on new thermal paste and try booting again to see if it will work properly. If it still does not show the 4th core call AMD and see if they will let you RMA it - With the serial number off of the CPU they should be able to check when the manufacture date of the chip was and might cover it if less than 3 years old and might replace it as defective even if it is out of warranty - so never hurts to call them and check !!
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 12:44:10 AM

Yeah, one reasons I never buy used stuff for my PC. :) 

You can always re-sell it but I think you'll be fine after a bios update (and possibly re-seating the CPU, which means simply taking it out and putting it back in). Let us know how it goes!

RMAs are another great option as JDFan said.
m
l
April 5, 2010 9:09:31 PM

removed battery, tryed to update bios but it had no new updates.... I guess i'll take it to cpu and have them reseat the cpu i'm not gonna mess it up myself.. damn this sucks lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2010 2:20:43 AM

Sucks bro... Never buy USED electronics unless it's from a reliable source: ie: your friends/relatives. Let that be a lesson.

I agree with the CMOS reset - go take the battery out and when you do it this time hit the power button while the battery is out to flush the capacitors.

Also, its kind of a dick move but you might call this guy and tell him that the CPU has bent pins when it does not and you will contact the law authorities if something is not negotiated. He might have very well sold this comp because he was too dumb to figure this out himself.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
April 7, 2010 1:19:00 AM

Your motherboard is not the problem it supports your CPU you have an AM3 CPU and your board 100% supports it. I would do what werxen said threaten the dude with a lawyer he might change his tune.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 2:26:10 AM

I am sorry if you already did this or stated it but I am frankly lazy at the moment and don't want to read all the posts. If you haven't done so yet, make sure your board is currently running a BIOS that has official support for your cpu.

It it does look around in the BIOS to see if 4 cores are enabled and working. Good way to get a quick check is the temp sensors in BIOS. If all is good in there then download and burn a linux live cd like ubuntu and check the system properties off the live cd. See if four cores show up there. If so a clean install of windows should do the trick.
m
l
April 7, 2010 4:22:52 AM

I tryed using the windows installer for ubuntu and it wont start when i pick it from my partitions.. =/ I'll have to buy some cd-rw's and try that I guess maybe it will run off cd better lol..

as far as bios goes it says under advanced

cpu configuration
module ver 13.51
agesa ver 3.4..7.0
physical count:1
logical count 4

Amd phenom(tm) IIx4 965 processor
revision: c2
cache l1:512 kb
cache l2: 2048kb
cache l3:6mb
speed 3400 mhz nb lk:2000mhz
Nc HT speed: 2000 mhz width i/o 16/16

I got all my bios written down when I removed the battery where would i go to enable or disable a core and

THANK YOU EVERYONE for helping with this thread you have all been great..

I'm not going to fight with the guy about it, its a 2 hour drive wastes gas every time he isn't going to give me my money back.. i'm broke but my dad will buy me another processor i'm going to have a cpu shop install it because i dont trust myself and im not taking a chance with the processor..
I'm gonna get another phenom IIx4 965 is that the better of the amd's?

I went out and bought some thermal paste since this cpu is already f'd up i'm assuming i'm going to take it out and check for bent pins and reseat it (or atleast try in a+ class I sucked with heatsinks getting them back on).. Hell it runs right now I don't want to f that up lol...
m
l
April 7, 2010 6:23:15 AM

update

I went out and got cds and ran that linux you guys were talking about and here's the photo it says i got 4 processors so that means just re install windows 7 right?

take a look at this pic and tell me if this is linux showing 4 cores it I think so but its my first time ever running linux..

sorry im n00b

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2015/linuxv.png
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 3:48:56 PM

cmaki2008 said:
update

I went out and got cds and ran that linux you guys were talking about and here's the photo it says i got 4 processors so that means just re install windows 7 right?

take a look at this pic and tell me if this is linux showing 4 cores it I think so but its my first time ever running linux..

sorry im n00b

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2015/linuxv.png

A clean install of windows of should fix it right up. What I guess happened was the guy you got it from had a different AMD chip(prob a tri or dual core) in the machine and upgraded to your current x4 without reinstalling windows. From my experiences windows generally doesn't like when you do that.

Four cores are seen in the BIOS. Four cores are seen in linux. = Windows issue not cpu.
m
l
April 7, 2010 9:52:46 PM

would a clean install of windows xp prove this point too?
m
l
April 7, 2010 10:29:54 PM

i'm going to try that the windows 7 i got right now isn't exactly genuine although he said he was going to be in the ad =/
back to windows xp =(
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 10:32:56 PM

I would make the prick you bought this from provide you with a legit Windows 7 license if that's what he advertised when he sold it to you. Going with Windows XP is going to make is so you can't use all 4GB of RAM.
m
l
April 8, 2010 1:03:48 AM

anyways to sum it up I installed the disk he gave me for windows 7 non genuine its showing 4 cores so problem is solved...I'm happy I guess... I wonder how I can tell if this is the full version of windows 7 or a beta? I can update it and everything...

Again I appreciate every single reply I got back and thank you all for your time and expertise :bounce: 
m
l
April 8, 2010 3:07:18 AM

lol windows popping up with not genuine wow guess thats another 150 bucks
m
l
April 8, 2010 5:16:48 AM

yep this one went black on me says not genunine.. just sucks i plugged 760 for a lie lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2010 6:51:34 PM

cmaki2008 said:
yep this one went black on me says not genunine.. just sucks i plugged 760 for a lie lol

Give microsoft a call and give them his information and let them know he is selling systems with pirated copies of the OS installed (I'm sure they will at least send him an E-mail) or file a claim in your local small claims court to recoup the cost of buying a legitimate copy of the OS (if he advertised it would come with windows installed then you should easily be able to prove your case and get the $ you had to spend to rectify it plus the cost of filing a court case ! (may not be worth it but it would sure teach him a lesson and give you at least a partial feeling of satisfaction !!)
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2010 9:25:17 PM

I agree. That tool needs to be held accountable for being a crooked dumb a$$.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2010 9:46:05 PM

Man i'd give that guy a tune-up. Now you know to check out the PC thuroughly before purchasing. :) 

My brother got ripped off through craigslist once. He traded his car plus $600 for a nicer car. Turns out the guy he bought the car from didn't have it fully paid off and it got repo'd while my brother was in a movie.

My brother's mistake? He didn't get the title up front. Where's his old car? Gone. What can he do? Sue the jobless 19 year old that lives with his parents and owns nothing? Great!
m
l
April 17, 2010 3:30:39 AM

Best answer selected by cmaki2008.
m
l
!