New system just installed question about temps

jrel209

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Alrighty guys so I finnaly got my computer up and running

CPU=i7-860 @ 2.8 (I want to OC, but more on that in a moment)
HSF=Hyper 212 CPU cooler
MOBO=Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P mobo
MEM=4 total 2x2gig G.sKill Ripjaw series with CL 7
GPU=Sapphire 5870 1g
OPTICAL=LG x24 DVD writer
HD=Samsung Spintpt F3 500gig
PSU=Corsair 750HX Modular PSU

It runs great, I can not wait till I get a new monitor (any suggestions)! 1920x1200

Anyways I was able to get the memory speed to 1600mhz easily, for some reason computer booted at 1333. But I've been testing with coretemp and prime95 and my temps have been not so great. At idle it has been sitting at 29C and at load it has been reaching 63C. I am not too worried about it at the moment because it's cold outside, but once the weather does warm up I will be worried. So question is, what can the problem be? I know it MAY be the HSF, mostly because the set did not come with a lot of thermal grease and I was trying a new way to apply it I seen on same page someone linked. Or can it possibly be the voltage is cranked up too high I think I seen someone mention it on another thread once. If it can be the voltage what am I looking at, I am kind of new too what my voltage should be at, atm in bios it says 1.9xxx or w/e.

Do you have the newest BIOS for the board?

Try loading Optimized Defaults in the BIOS.

That is Way too hot. My i5 750 maxes out in the low 40Cs.

You do need a bit of paste for this cooler. the method I used was to put several decent sized lines of paste along the valleys between the heat pipes. Because the surface is not flat, more paste is needed than usually suggested. I'd double check that the CPU fan is firmly attached (and that the fan is actually operating).

jrel209

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Ya it's secured fersure and running fersure, at least it spins lol

Ya was afraid I might need more paste, because that is the method I tried, going down the valleys and wiping it level then applying more. That is why I didn't have enough to put on the CPU (well a little, hardly a 'pea' side drop) itself LoL. I am in process of ordering more thermal paste, just sucks because when taking off the HSF I need to remove the memory too.

And for Bios I have F4, I was thinking going F5 at least, or should I just go all the way to F7?

banthracis

Distinguished
The small tube that came with the CM Hyper 212 Plus should have been enough. In fact that tube is technically enough for 2 of those things =P

The layer should be very thin. The point of paste is to fill in gaps btwn the HS and CPU, not serve as an insulating layer.

I doubt your voltage is at 1.9V. Your CPU would have fried long before you get that high.

DL http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php and get your actual voltage.

jrel209

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Coo ill try that when i get home at work atm.

For the grease i just applied for thin rows and leveled off the crevices on the block. Then i added four new lines and a dab on the cpu. I had to move the block around because of the plate i had it in wrong orientation. Could that have caused a slighty faulty hsf install?

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
You should also keep in mind that most TIM's require a break-in period. Before you go ripping off your HSF you might give it a week or so and see how your temps look. AS5 is notorious for running hot at first and then cooling down.

63 seems high under P95 for a non OC'd CPU. The 1.9 volts seems way way over for a CPU voltage. My recollection is that absolute max is 1.55 with a real world max of 1.4.....Perhaps you were reading PLL voltage ? If anything, w/o OC'ing, I'd expect your voltage to be well below the "stock" voltage which, again if memory serves is 1.20

As for "turning up" the RAM speed, the reason most peeps buy DDR1600 is so that when they OC their processor to 4 GHz, the RAM still works with the mem multiplier of 8.

CPU frequency = 200 BCLK x 20 = 4.0GHz

Memory frequency:200 BCLK x 8 = 1600MHz

Also wanna echo the break-in period issue....IIRC, AS5's break in period is some 200 hours. Since I do all my tweaking in the 1st 50 hours of operation, I find that reason enough to use something else since any setting comparisons vs temps are useless until that period is over.