Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard for over clocking

Last response: in Overclocking
September 25, 2012 7:00:31 AM

I need help In choosing a motherboard to overclock the i5-2500k. I have heard from some people about their motherboards are only able to overclock their CPU to 4.2ghz. I am finding a cheap motherboard that is able to overclock it to at least a 4.4ghz. Any recommendations?
I would be using the CM hyper 212 evo for the cooling and I don't need any crossfire or sli.
2 usb3 ports would be sufficient. Budget SGD$220 or USD$130. Motherboards in Singapore are really expensive compared to in the US

More about : motherboard clocking

a c 87 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 7:19:54 AM

These are your best bet if they all cost to much then i suggest you save more money it will be worth it in the end. MOBO:ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

mobo:GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
m
l
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 7:23:42 AM

As far as overclocking goes it has more to do with your cpu then it does your motherboard the motherboard is important but what you have heard is not really correct and yes the EVO aftermarket cpu cooler is good for mild overclocking
m
l
Related resources
September 25, 2012 7:29:24 AM

Ouh I see.. I shall consider the extreme4 motherboard then! Looks good to me even though it's off the budget by a few bucks.:D 
m
l
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 7:40:15 AM

Oh i forgot this one had been released about two weeks ago or something like that lol my friend bought it he has i5-2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz 1.34v it's good and more in your price range ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 7:44:38 AM

The only thing i think you should be aware of is Asrock makes their motherboards a bit cheap for a reason. Also, the screw positions aren't standard atx, they removed all of the screw points on the right of the board.It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex. This also makes the right side of the board feel flimsy when putting in cables. But it doesn't hinder anything if you're careful.
m
l
September 25, 2012 7:48:48 AM

Hmm.. Extreme3 is tempting me! Well I shall just see the reviews and compare!
m
l
September 25, 2012 2:21:06 PM

bigcyco1 said:
The only thing i think you should be aware of is Asrock makes their motherboards a bit cheap for a reason. Also, the screw positions aren't standard atx, they removed all of the screw points on the right of the board.It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex. This also makes the right side of the board feel flimsy when putting in cables. But it doesn't hinder anything if you're careful.

Ouh i'm aware of their atx are abit smaller. But i don't uderstand when you said they removed the right screw points.
m
l
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 3:23:47 PM

Sinrix said:
Ouh i'm aware of their atx are abit smaller. But i don't uderstand when you said they removed the right screw points.
They were removed on my friends mobo maybe he got a board from a bad batch :o  well best thing to do is check the reviews i guess.
m
l
September 25, 2012 10:52:26 PM

What about the Asus p67 Sabertooth motherboard? It's only an additional $20 bucks from the extreme3. Is it a good motherboard for overclocking? Their tuf armor is really impressive to me.
m
l
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2012 10:54:56 PM

I have heard it's good yes but i never used it before
m
l
September 28, 2012 5:07:21 AM

Just got a call from the ASUS centre here. Unfortunately, they have stopped the production of P67 Sabertooth here. :(  Considering the Asus P8Z77 V-LK now!
m
l
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2012 5:11:41 AM

That sucks
m
l
September 30, 2012 9:57:43 PM

bigcyco1 said:

3cm? Lol don't you mean 3 mm? Unless you mean 3 cm shorter? :heink: 
m
l
!