Wireless Networking a 5040 with a PowerBook??

I have an Apple PowerBook running Jaguar (OS 10.2.8) sitting next to my
5040. Does anyone have any idea whether it's possible to use the
PowerBook's 802.11b capabilities to connect it to the network? Do I need
a crossover or normal ethernet cable? How do I negotiate the networking
since I need the wireless option in my System Preferences panel?
John
10 answers Last reply
More about wireless networking 5040 powerbook

    In article
    <87705846ed749de570e27ec623a3b60e@localhost.talkaboutvideo.com>,
    "John_G" <tympani@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    > I have an Apple PowerBook running Jaguar (OS 10.2.8) sitting next to my
    > 5040. Does anyone have any idea whether it's possible to use the
    > PowerBook's 802.11b capabilities to connect it to the network? Do I need
    > a crossover or normal ethernet cable? How do I negotiate the networking
    > since I need the wireless option in my System Preferences panel?
    > John

    I have an iMac attached to an Airport network, and have my 5080
    hard-wirded (via ethernet cable) into the Airport as well. One can
    potentially get a wireless card for the RTV, but for program transfers
    (either to the Mac or to other RTV's), I've heard a wired connection is
    more reliable.

    Chris Bastian wrote:
    > In article
    > <87705846ed749de570e27ec623a3b60e@localhost.talkaboutvideo.com>,
    > "John_G" <tympani@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I have an Apple PowerBook running Jaguar (OS 10.2.8) sitting next to my
    >>5040. Does anyone have any idea whether it's possible to use the
    >>PowerBook's 802.11b capabilities to connect it to the network? Do I need
    >>a crossover or normal ethernet cable? How do I negotiate the networking
    >>since I need the wireless option in my System Preferences panel?
    >>John
    >>

    > I have an iMac attached to an Airport network, and have my 5080
    > hard-wirded (via ethernet cable) into the Airport as well. One can
    > potentially get a wireless card for the RTV, but for program transfers
    > (either to the Mac or to other RTV's), I've heard a wired connection is
    > more reliable.

    Wired connections are ALWAYS more reliable. If you are going to be
    tossing around files in the 1 Gig size range (Replay records just shy of
    a gig an hour at "Standard" More in higher quality modes) you need a
    good solid connection that will NOT suffer from interference

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 00:50:25 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Chris Bastian wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <87705846ed749de570e27ec623a3b60e@localhost.talkaboutvideo.com>,
    >> "John_G" <tympani@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have an Apple PowerBook running Jaguar (OS 10.2.8) sitting next to my
    >>>5040. Does anyone have any idea whether it's possible to use the
    >>>PowerBook's 802.11b capabilities to connect it to the network? Do I need
    >>>a crossover or normal ethernet cable? How do I negotiate the networking
    >>>since I need the wireless option in my System Preferences panel?
    >>>John
    >>>

    >> I have an iMac attached to an Airport network, and have my 5080
    >> hard-wirded (via ethernet cable) into the Airport as well. One can
    >> potentially get a wireless card for the RTV, but for program transfers
    >> (either to the Mac or to other RTV's), I've heard a wired connection is
    >> more reliable.
    >
    >Wired connections are ALWAYS more reliable. If you are going to be
    >tossing around files in the 1 Gig size range (Replay records just shy of
    >a gig an hour at "Standard" More in higher quality modes) you need a
    >good solid connection that will NOT suffer from interference

    Yes, wired connections are always more reliable (as well as faster). I
    get tired of people who don't even think of that before using
    wireless. I'd use wireless networking, but only where a wired
    connection is not possibl, like for a laptop I carry around. Of
    course, I wouldn't choose that laptop to store Replay shows.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx

    In article
    <87705846ed749de570e27ec623a3b60e@localhost.talkaboutvideo.com>,
    "John_G" <tympani@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    > I have an Apple PowerBook running Jaguar (OS 10.2.8) sitting next to my
    > 5040. Does anyone have any idea whether it's possible to use the
    > PowerBook's 802.11b capabilities to connect it to the network? Do I need
    > a crossover or normal ethernet cable? How do I negotiate the networking
    > since I need the wireless option in my System Preferences panel?

    Once upon a time I had it running until something inexplicable happened and
    it broke down somehow. Still it did work.

    What I had was an Airport router running from my DSL modem, and a D-Link
    wireless bridge connected to the Replay.

    For me setting it up involved getting the wireless bridge talking to the
    Airport router first, then setting up the Replay to talk to the Airport
    router via the D-Link bridge. Using DVArchive or mReplay I could see what's
    on the Replay and download it to my laptop.

    If you have an White iBook or later, you don't have to worry about
    cross-over cables cause the laptop autosenses how to use the ethernet
    connection. If not, then you do need a cross-over.

    As far as setting up the System Preferences, there are brighter minds than
    me on this list, perhaps they'll offer more than I can. If not feel free to
    e-mail me privately. . .

    ___________________________

    jpmis* speedfactory * net
    ___________________________

    John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

    > Chris Bastian wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <87705846ed749de570e27ec623a3b60e@localhost.talkaboutvideo.com>,
    >> "John_G" <tympani@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have an Apple PowerBook running Jaguar (OS 10.2.8) sitting next to
    >>>my 5040. Does anyone have any idea whether it's possible to use the
    >>>PowerBook's 802.11b capabilities to connect it to the network? Do I
    >>>need a crossover or normal ethernet cable? How do I negotiate the
    >>>networking since I need the wireless option in my System Preferences
    >>>panel? John
    >>>

    >> I have an iMac attached to an Airport network, and have my 5080
    >> hard-wirded (via ethernet cable) into the Airport as well. One can
    >> potentially get a wireless card for the RTV, but for program
    >> transfers (either to the Mac or to other RTV's), I've heard a wired
    >> connection is more reliable.
    >
    > Wired connections are ALWAYS more reliable. If you are going to be
    > tossing around files in the 1 Gig size range (Replay records just shy
    > of a gig an hour at "Standard" More in higher quality modes) you need
    > a good solid connection that will NOT suffer from interference

    For a short time I used my iBook as a "bridge" between my wireless
    Access Point downstairs and my 4504 upstairs. Normally attaching to ned
    point network devices together without a hub or switch you shoudl use a
    cross-over cable, Apple build the auto-sensing straight and crossed
    into their interfaces, so theoretically you should be able to use either
    a straight or crossed ethernet to link the laptop and the RTV (though
    crossed is preferred).

    When I used the laptop to bridge the wireless network to the RTV it was
    not reliable enough. I opted to add to my already complex hoe network of
    Cat-6 wired and 802.11b wireless a HPNA 1.1 adapter (also a bridge).
    With one plugged into the router in my garage I could then locate
    another HPNA adapter right next to the RTV and it worked much more
    reliably, AND didn't tie up my iBook.

    Thank you all for your helpful responses. I have both a Titanium PowerBook
    (dual boot 15") and a Lombard (Bronze Kbd, which I've upgraded to a 500MHz
    G4). I was hoping to use the Lombard as the bridge, wired into the RTV,
    to my wireless 802.11g network. I mostly want to use the network to
    interrogate the HD on the RTV and for the RTV to connect to the www for
    program updates. I suppose I could also use it to upload things recorded
    on the RTV for editing but I can also do this on my DVR so I suspect
    network speed is really not an issue. I was just trying to avoid running
    cable or purchasing more hardware if possible. I figure, the Lombard
    doesn't autosense so I'll probably need a crossover cable but how do I set
    up the networking? It soulnds like a couple of you have done this.
    Thanks,
    John

    In article
    <fd8486fc48e2793b0079ff837c3879ac@localhost.talkaboutvideo.com>,
    "John_G" <tympani@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    > I was hoping to use the Lombard as the bridge, wired into the RTV,
    > to my wireless 802.11g network. I mostly want to use the network to
    > interrogate the HD on the RTV and for the RTV to connect to the www for
    > program updates. I suppose I could also use it to upload things recorded
    > on the RTV for editing but I can also do this on my DVR so I suspect
    > network speed is really not an issue. I was just trying to avoid running
    > cable or purchasing more hardware if possible. I figure, the Lombard
    > doesn't autosense so I'll probably need a crossover cable but how do I set
    > up the networking? It soulnds like a couple of you have done this.

    Not like that. Just to simplify things, why don't you keep the PowerBook
    out of the equasion and simply get the Lombard hooked up to the Replay. To
    bridge it to the PB, I'm guessing that you have to change a setting in your
    wireless network set-up to allow it to bridge ethernet connections.

    I'm assuming the Lombard is online, but I'm guessing you've got OS9 on it.
    I can't recall the specific control panels for networking for 9, but the
    broad strokes is that first you have to set up a location for networking
    with the Replay via ethernet. Then you set up the Replay to talk to your
    network. Those are the broad stokes and you probably already know them,
    wish I could help you more. There aren't too many Mac users here, you might
    try searching at

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=27&daysprune=2&so
    rtorder=&sortfield=lastpost&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

    Or MacReplaytv.com if the site's still up. . .

    ___________________________

    jpmis* speedfactory * net
    ___________________________

    John_G <tympani@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    > Thank you all for your helpful responses. I have both a Titanium PowerBook
    > (dual boot 15") and a Lombard (Bronze Kbd, which I've upgraded to a 500MHz
    > G4). I was hoping to use the Lombard as the bridge, wired into the RTV,
    > to my wireless 802.11g network. I mostly want to use the network to
    > interrogate the HD on the RTV and for the RTV to connect to the www for
    > program updates. I suppose I could also use it to upload things recorded
    > on the RTV for editing but I can also do this on my DVR so I suspect
    > network speed is really not an issue. I was just trying to avoid running
    > cable or purchasing more hardware if possible. I figure, the Lombard
    > doesn't autosense so I'll probably need a crossover cable but how do I set
    > up the networking? It soulnds like a couple of you have done this.

    Assumptions

    (a) The Mac is connected to the Internet via AirPort.

    (b) You want to share this connectivity with the Replay.

    (c) The Replay is connected to the Lombard via crossover cable or hub or
    switch.

    (d) The Mac is running OS X 10.2 or later.

    Configuration

    (1) In the Mac's Network preference pane, make AirPort the preferred
    network connection by dragging it to the top of the list in the Network
    Port Configurations.

    (2) In the Mac's Sharing pref pane, go to the Internet tab, select
    "Share your connection from: AirPort", check the box next to "Built-in
    Ethernet" in the "To computers using:" list, and click the Start button.

    (3) Set the Replay to use DHCP and note the IP address that the Mac has
    assigned to it.

    (4) Back in the Mac's Network pref pane, give the Ethernet port a fixed
    IP address within the Replay's subnet (IIRC 192.168.2, but check the
    Replay's system info screen). This will not interfere with the Mac's
    DHCP server and NAT functions.

    You might find that connecting the Replay to your network is easier and
    more reliable using a dedicated Ethernet-to-wireless adapter (or
    "bridge") or using a second access point doing WDS ("wireless bridging")
    with the first.

    In article <1grryjs.4ioarru8k2umN%neillmassello@earthlink.net>,
    neillmassello@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote:

    > John_G <tympani@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you all for your helpful responses. I have both a Titanium PowerBook
    > > (dual boot 15") and a Lombard (Bronze Kbd, which I've upgraded to a 500MHz
    > > G4). I was hoping to use the Lombard as the bridge, wired into the RTV,
    > > to my wireless 802.11g network. I mostly want to use the network to
    > > interrogate the HD on the RTV and for the RTV to connect to the www for
    > > program updates. I suppose I could also use it to upload things recorded
    > > on the RTV for editing but I can also do this on my DVR so I suspect
    > > network speed is really not an issue. I was just trying to avoid running
    > > cable or purchasing more hardware if possible. I figure, the Lombard
    > > doesn't autosense so I'll probably need a crossover cable but how do I set
    > > up the networking? It soulnds like a couple of you have done this.

    Either thru persistance or just dumb luck, after throwing in the towel a
    month ago I finally got my Powerbook to talk to my Replay via my Airport
    wireless network.

    My setup is a Powerbook with OSX 10.3, Airport wi-fi router, and cablemodem
    with a fixed IP. Here goes. . .

    There is certain information you need first from your Airport Admin
    Utility. Open it up and click the Airport tab to get your Base station
    name. Click the Internet tab and write down the DNS numbers. Click the
    Network tab and check "Enable Airport to Ethernet Bridging". Save changes
    if you had to check the "Enable. . ." button so the Airport will reboot
    with the new setting. Close the utility, you don't need it anymore.

    Next you have to connect your Mac to the Bridge with an ethernet cable to
    set it up. The bridges have a default IP address you need to find and make
    note of. My Linksys IP was 192.168.1.255.

    Now go to the Systems Preferences and select Network. Make a new Location
    and call it "Bridge". Next to Location in the Network pane, select
    "Bridge", next to Show: select "Built-in Ethernet" and then click the
    TCP/IP tab.

    In the TCP/IP tab, next to Configure: select "Manually" and fill in the IP
    address with the Bridge's IP address. Change the last number to anything
    less than 255, but not the same number as the bridge. I used 192.168.1.5.
    The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

    Make sure you click on the "Apply Now" button so the OS will now start
    using your new settings.

    With the Bridge plugged in and connected to your ethernet port open a
    browser and type in your Bridge IP address and hit return. At this point
    you'll get a setup window in the browser window sent by the Bridge so you
    can make the few changes you need to get it going. There's probably a user
    id and password so check the docs the bridge came with.

    What I did was give the device a name, Linksys WET11, and then entered a
    specific IP setting of

    IP: 192 168 1 255
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192 168 1 1

    Next, I filled in the SSID blank with the name of my Wireless network
    connection and checked Infrastructure instead of Ad Hoc. I disabled WEP
    because I wanted to keep it simple and don't have it checked in my Airport
    settings. (One less thing to go wrong, eventually I'll go back and change
    this. . .)

    If there's a save button in the browser button, hit it. The bridge should
    be ready to go. Still, I had to reboot it by unplugging it before the new
    settings would take, so you might as well do that.

    At this point you need to go back into the Systems Preferences and change
    your Mac's Network Location back to whatever was working for you before you
    created the Bridge location. After you change it, be sure to click on the
    "Apply Now" button. Close the System Prefs utility.

    Finally, it's time to set up the Replay. Make sure the ethernet cable is
    plugged into the Bridge and the Bridge's AC is plugged in. Open the Replay
    menu and select "Setup". Find "Network and Input Settings" and select it.
    Scroll to "Change Network" and select that. You might get lucky and the
    Replay will find the network, but I had to plug in the numbers manually.

    IP Address: 10.0.1.5
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.0.1.1
    DNS Server 1: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    DNS Server 2: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

    The DNS server number are the one's you got from the Airport Utility and
    the Replay uses those number to go online. The other numbers are part of
    your local wi-fi network.

    Can you use DHCP in the Wireless Bridge setup? Probably but I dunno for
    sure and I'm not gonna experiment with it any further for fear of screwing
    it up again <grin>

    As you might have guessed by now I've posted this as much to keep a record
    for myself as to help anybody else doing the same thing. Hope it helps. . .

    jpmis* speedfactory * net
  10. Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

    jpmist <bogus@apparently_fake.net> wrote:

    > My setup is a Powerbook with OSX 10.3, Airport wi-fi router

    The OP wanted to use a PowerBook as a substitute for an
    Ethernet-to-wireless adapter for the Replay. Your solution is better but
    involves buying additional hardware.

ReplayTV Wireless Networking Powerbook Home Theatre