missing shlwapi.dll

After installing SP2 I received the message: The procedure entry point
SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library
SHLWAPI.DLL.

Thanks to Raymond (and others?) at The Old New Thing blog for posting the fix
(which worked) and creating a forum for interesting feedback on this and
other issues.
-Trish, Vancouver, Canada

"hitrish" wrote:

> I'm trying instructions from
> http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2004/10/14/242241.aspx
>
> will let you know how it turns out...
>

> "hitrish" wrote:
>
> > After installing SP2 I received the message: The procedure entry point
> > SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library
> > SHLWAPI.DLL.

I've tried the fix as outlined but I can't seem to get rid of Hot Fix KB834707.

I clearly have incomplete SP2 install - had errors on install and in trying to
recover/uninstall the SP2.

Can I uninstall SP2 even if KB834707 isn't gone?
Why doesn't KB834707 uninstall? It seems to run OK although after I click
finish, it automatically shuts down and reboots the PC. I usually expect it
to ask me before it reboots - that seems a little odd.

"hitrish" wrote:

> After installing SP2 I received the message: The procedure entry point
> SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library
> SHLWAPI.DLL.

Raymond is also the author of tweakui.

http://www.uscricket.com
"hitrish" <hitrish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60300BB8-F47E-46E3-8781-994E8769B43D@microsoft.com...
> Thanks to Raymond (and others?) at The Old New Thing blog for posting the fix
> (which worked) and creating a forum for interesting feedback on this and
> other issues.
> -Trish, Vancouver, Canada
>
> "hitrish" wrote:
>
>> I'm trying instructions from
>> http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2004/10/14/242241.aspx
>>
>> will let you know how it turns out...
>>

>> "hitrish" wrote:
>>
>> > After installing SP2 I received the message: The procedure entry point
>> > SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library
>> > SHLWAPI.DLL.

It sounds like a crash not a planned reboot.

Type
error reboot
in Help and look at third article. OR look in Event Viewer to see the error message.
http://www.uscricket.com