How do I change USB irq assignments in windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Hi Roger Rudder, must admit not bought a creative sound card for 10yrs at least. Remember when my soundblaster 24 fell over in XP!!!

Really bad support on Creative's side and absolutely rubbish drivers since XP. Gonna get a Asus Xonar DG 5.1 when upgrade from on-board Realtek sound.

May be time to ditch the Creative dude, Mare of truly epic proportions!!!

illusio12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi Roger Rudder, why do you need to change irq assignment? Can remember having to do this in Windows 98, and occasionally with old hardware in Windows XP, but really surprised that you would need to in Windows 7, which allocates resources much, much better than previous versions.

What make of USB sound card is it, and which version of Win 7 ( 32 or 64bit ) are you using.
This information will help us to help you.

update thread Roger and will take from their. :)

Roger Rudder

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

The sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro. USB
The OS is Windows 7 32bit.

The problems I am having are:

1.) The sound card creates static so severe that you can not enjoy playing music at all.

2.) The sound card is incompatible with my most important application, the X-Plane flight simulator. When the sound card is plugged in, the airplane simulator goes haywire. The airplane fly's in a herky jerky fashion making the plane impossible to control and making the game sounds (engine, control tower chatter, etc.,etc.) completely useless.

When you move the mouse pointer across the screen, it moves in small jumps rather than scrolling smoothly across the screen. Unplug the sound card and all the problems disappear.

I checked with Creative and the solution they offered me was to upgrade the sound card, which I did. When the problems persisted they suggested that I assign the sound card a separate IRQ, and to make sure that the USB card was plugged directly into the computer and not through a USB hub. I inquired how to assign the IRQ but they have not replied.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

illusio12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi Roger Rudder, thanks for reply : Just out of interest, what did @nordlead suggest. Would help if i could read this before repeating anything he may have already suggested!

Remember giving up on Creative sound cards after bought one and did NOT play nice with 7, shame as always like them before.

Anyway, if you could point me to previous thread which @nordlead replied, i will have a butchers and see if anything I can do for you. :)

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
it was a link that had images showing to go to the device manager and look at the device to see if there were conflicts. You can then change the IRQ number, but only if windows thinks there is a problem. I've never tested it on my PC because I don't have any conflicts.

illusio12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Thanks nordlead, i did check in my device manager but was not able to specify irq, so that's why!

@Roger Rudder, here you go dude, found this thread after a brief search on Google : http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/440166-windows-7-irqs.html

and comment #17 lists a link to configure interrupt requests in vista and win7.

Good reading, and hope this solves your problem. Please update thread if successful as may help others :)

PS, just in-case your interested, this was my search string " how to set irq in windows 7 " in Google and first link produced a possible answer!

Roger Rudder

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I discovered msinfo32 from another source and while it did not give me any help, it did show me that there are no IRQ conflicts. I also got from Creative that I should disable all system sounds. This helped a lot but while the static is not nearly so loud, it is still there and it is still causing interference with the X-Plane program. Soooo, I'm still pretty much where I started.

Anything else you can offer?

illusio12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi Roger Rudder, must admit not bought a creative sound card for 10yrs at least. Remember when my soundblaster 24 fell over in XP!!!

Really bad support on Creative's side and absolutely rubbish drivers since XP. Gonna get a Asus Xonar DG 5.1 when upgrade from on-board Realtek sound.

May be time to ditch the Creative dude, Mare of truly epic proportions!!!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS