What do you think of this build?

PraxxtorCruel

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hi guys and no gals (kidding)

This is the current setup I've managed to come up with, the computer will be mainly used for gaming, graphics editing etc. Okay moving on, I build this pc mainly to be able to upgrade easily for example I mean I'd like to upgrade bit by bit not only to find out when I want to upgrade a certain part I have to upgrade everything else too, I think you know what I mean.

Okay here goes;

somebuildchanges.jpg

That will be a solid setup except the enermax PSU you dont really need a 1000 watt PSU unless you gonna run dual 5970s plus enermax isn't that great. I would say if you really think you need enough power in case you want to crossfire those 5850's get a nice Corsair 750 watt that will be more then you even need. For even a little more headroom get an 850 watt. Look at either a Corsair or Antec.

Corsair 850 watt this is even a little overkill for your system only time you will need 1000 watts or more is if you plan on running 3 or more GPUs.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152604

PraxxtorCruel

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it, most people have told me the mobo, case and psu are over the top lol, but as I was saying I wanted something that I could upgrade bit by bit, not every component at the same time now that is over the top when you see the price lol.

Thanks for the ebuyer link think I'll go for that instead, 3 gpu seems a little unnecessary. Also another thing, besides GPU's for the 7 pci-e slots the mobo has what else can I use those slots for? Is the Asus Rampage Extreme III better then this mobo?

PraxxtorCruel

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Thanks, looks like that mobo can do pretty much everything for a good price. Ram looks good although a little pricey, I think? Case got some good reviews but I just can't justify its looks.

PraxxtorCruel

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

So who would justify buying this mobo then? If its better and cheaper then the one I chose. Ah that's nice wonder how long I have to wait. Besides using pci slots for gpu's what else can I use em for considering this mobo has 7 lol. What does the rampage III have that this mobo doesn't? I don't understand the whole idea of these pci x8 slots x 16 x 4 slots etc.

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

The P6X58D PREMIUM is an impressive mobo. It has everything you could need. You won't be disappointed at all if You buy it . You don't need to wait for the rampage III.

PraxxtorCruel

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks guys, the antec 1.2k is too small for me, I'm looking for massive full towers. That lian li seems interesting. Coolermaster, I just can't stand the look of it lol.

PraxxtorCruel

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Ah I see thanks for noting that. I mean if it makes the pc sound like a jet, by all means Im up for it, if it makes it sound like some old 80's car with exhaust problems then hell no lol.

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Are you going to buy a processor? XD
And why not spend a bit less on the motherboard or case or get an OEM version of windows seven ad get a 5870 or a gtx480?

PraxxtorCruel

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Maybe I'll stick to the 5850. Although what do you think, should I go for a 128GB ssd at 250mb read/180mb write or for one ati 5970?

That's really up to you. Both will give you enhanced performance in completely different areas.
5970 like 150-200% performance from 5850 in gaming.
SSD: same performance in things involving the hard drive.

FYI, if you plan to keep windows 7 for a long time, anything below 7 pro is limited to 16GB of ram.