Having problems with system

chaosrapture

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Motherboard - Asus P5Q Deluxe
CPU - Q9550 2.8Ghz overclocked to 3.4Ghz (safely never goes higher than 50 degrees even with a heavy load)
Case - Antec 900
Storage - Western digital 500gb S-ATA II
RAM - Corsair XMS2 DDR 2 800MHZ running at 4-4-4-12 (heat sinq edition)
Graphics card - Sapphire 4870
Internet connection - 20Mb

This is a general problem which has happened since i upgraded my CPU and Motherboard. THis problem did not happen straight away either. I installed windows XP media centre and windows 7 before the issue arised.

The general problem seems to be with installing operating systems. I decided to delete windows 7 64-bit edition due to a couple of issues i had with the operating system. so i decided to go back to windows vista and i was suddenly getting issues with the installation. It wasnt enough for the installation to crash but it was installing dramatically slower (would be on 0% for around 25 minutes then go up to 35% when expanding files) The installation would return to normal speed after this and be finished within minites.

The true problem is when it comes to updating the OS using Windows update. The download would take forever to initialise and when it did it would be terribley slow (didnt see this as an issue because it could obviously be the speed of the windows server or my connection being throttled) so i ignored this issue. The problem came when it came to installing the updates. I was installing around 360MB of updates and it took over 2 and a half hours with it stuck at 50%. This has never happened even before with my slower system. I have tried using different Operating systems thinking it could be the version but it happens every time. I also noticed my drivers took a long time to install (around half an hour to install 4 drivers).

Am i worried for no reason or is this a genuine problem because i expected a speed increase not everything taking longer :(

Anymore information please ask as i could understand this explanation being vague to someone else

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you

First, the installation "sticking" at 0% seems to happen all the time. I've noticed it a few times -- usually when re-installing the OS -- and it does exactly what you are saying. I suspect that it is actually working and copying files the whole time it's at 0%, but just not displaying the progress until it moves on from the phase of actually copying files. For what reason, I have no idea. But in the end, it turns out fine.

Second, it sounds to me like you're trying to install, like, 75 Windows updates at a time, and the system keeps getting hung up on the same one. Maybe try just downloading a few at a time and seeing if it makes it through. If there's a specific problem with one of them, at least maybe you can identify it and work around it that way.

Also, if it's trying to install "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool," just skip that. That's one thing that I could see gumming up the whole process if it tries to run and then gets stuck and churns.

By the way, I have almost the exact same machine as you -- Q9550, Western Digital hard drive, HD4870 ... originally had a P5Q Deluxe but the LAN adapter was defective so I sent it back and got a P5E3 Pro (which is just as well, since I decided to go to DDR3 anyway). Good times.