CPU Overclock Problems

Hi Guys,

I have a Phenom 965 BE with a ASRock 970 Extreme 3 motherboard

I have recently been trying overclocking, managed to set my multiplier to x19 getting it to 3.8Ghz and the voltage to 1.4v

It works perfectly, infact it runs cooler than the stock clocks but my problem is :

When i open CPU-Z it shows that my cpu is at 3.8Ghz but every 20 seconds or so the clocks will drop down to 3Ghz or sometimes 3.2Ghz for a split second and then jump back up. This is usually much more frequent at maximum load

Here are some pics

http://i46.tinypic.com/291nzmo.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/10fdstf.jpg

Thanks in advance
19 answers Last reply
More about overclock problems
  1. Serious bus speed fluctuation there.

    Did you modify any other variables for your overclock?

    How are your temps on the motherboard?

    What kind of PSU are you running?
  2. Z1NONLY said:
    Serious bus speed fluctuation there.

    Did you modify any other variables for your overclock?

    How are your temps on the motherboard?

    What kind of PSU are you running?


    Hi, thanks for your reply.

    I didn't change anything else but the voltage and and multiplier.

    The CPU idles at around 40c and on Prime95 full load it doesn't pass 59c so i know that isn't the problem

    I have the Corsair CX600 PSU so it can't be that either?

    IF it was the voltages too low wouldn't it be unstable? I have no issues so far but it does fluctuate like that
  3. Z1NONLY said:
    Serious bus speed fluctuation there.

    Did you modify any other variables for your overclock?



    Unless you mean Cool n Quiet C1E etc which have all been disabled
  4. BuddiLuva said:
    Unless you mean Cool n Quiet C1E etc which have all been disabled


    I would enable those features just to get another data point. (it shouldn't change this issue though)

    Since it's the base clock that seems to be throttling, I am more concerned with the motherboard temps rather than the CPU. If the CPU gets too hot, the CPU downclocks. But here it's the base clock that's downclocking for some reason.
  5. Z1NONLY said:
    I would enable those features just to get another data point. (it shouldn't change this issue though)

    Since it's the base clock that seems to be throttling, I am more concerned with the motherboard temps rather than the CPU. If the CPU gets too hot, the CPU downclocks. But here it's the base clock that's downclocking for some reason.


    http://i48.tinypic.com/3477lmx.png - Speedfan is claiming motherboard temp is -4c. I don't live in the north pole so theres something wrong there. Before overclocking I remember it was around 32c. Maybe I should go back to defaults and start over again?


    And I was told CnQ and C1E should be disabled for better stability when overclocking
  6. You can probably overclock a *little* higher with power-saving features disabled, but static overclcocks are like sitting at a stop light with the accelerator floored, while the motor bounces off the rev limiter.
  7. Z1NONLY said:
    You can probably overclock a *little* higher with power-saving features disabled, but static overclcocks are like sitting at a stop light with the accelerator floored, while the motor bounces off the rev limiter.


    So what do you advise?
  8. I would go back to defaults and take small steps until the base clock starts doing this, then back off a little. (Until I fugure out *why* the base clock is downclocking.)

    I prefer dynamic overclocking with vcore offsets. (and I keep power saving features)
  9. Z1NONLY said:
    I would go back to defaults and take small steps until the base clock starts doing this, then back off a little. (Until I fugure out *why* the base clock is downclocking.)

    I prefer dynamic overclocking with vcore offsets. (and I keep power saving features)


    UPDATE - Right, I have set everything to default in UEFI BIOS. And have rebooted to find that the situation is worse

    http://i47.tinypic.com/cowtg.jpg

    http://i47.tinypic.com/fszld.jpg

    http://i48.tinypic.com/elcvo9.jpg

    Now I'm beginning to get worried.

    It will not stay at 3.4Ghz now at all on Prime95 Full load. HELPPPPPPPP
  10. If your voltages look good feeding the motherboard, I think your motherboard may have an issue. (you can use hwmonitor to check the voltages other than vcore)
  11. Z1NONLY said:
    If your voltages look good feeding the motherboard, I think your motherboard may have an issue. (you can use hwmonitor to check the voltages other than vcore)


    Hi sorry for the late reply but all the voltages are in range. I still can't seem to figure out why this is happening
  12. The voltages may be in the CPU's operating range but if your motherboard has issues supplying power to the cpu it may downclock it.

    Does it downclock under load at stock settings?
  13. Z1NONLY said:
    The voltages may be in the CPU's operating range but if your motherboard has issues supplying power to the cpu it may downclock it.

    Does it downclock under load at stock settings?


    Sorry for such a late reply, yes it does after overclocking even though ive defaulted everything it still does that. Or it may have already been like that, I didn't check how it was originally without overclocking.

    It does it with pretty much no load and full load
  14. Suspects in order of likelihood: Motherboard, CPU, PSU.

    The PSU is at the bottom of the list because you mentioned that load or no load doesn't seem to change the problem.
  15. Z1NONLY said:
    Suspects in order of likelihood: Motherboard, CPU, PSU.

    The PSU is at the bottom of the list because you mentioned that load or no load doesn't seem to change the problem.


    I have checked AMD Overdrive which claims there are no speed drops..

    So i decided to try a previous version of CPU-Z, which claims that there aren't any drops either..

    Faulty CPU-Z?
  16. If two different programs agree on the speed and it's what you expect to see, then they are probably correct and your newer version of CPU-Z was probably wrong.

    *edited*
  17. Hi,

    Just though I would mention this, I have EXACTLY the same issue. But wasent aware it is bad for your system? (Im a newbie)

    So are we saying it CPU-Z thats not working?

    Cheers
  18. I'm guessing the new version of CPU-Z is false. It is claiming there are drops

    However I have installed a slightly older version of CPU-Z which is claiming that the speeds are fine and that there are no drops.

    AMD Overdrive also claiming that the speeds are fine and that there are no drops.

    ANDDDDD Just to be sure I installed my motherboards own software, ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility, which ALSO claims there are no drops in speed.

    So- Correct Speed w/o drops = 3 : 1 = Drops in bus speed

    Im just guessing the newer version of CPU-Z has faulty readings.

    Sorry for longing this post out so much guys

    Thank you very much for your help Z1NONLY
  19. Fixed it to avoid confusion for others. I meant to say newer version was wrong.

    The ones that all agree are probably correct if there's just a single one that disagrees.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking