Any Advice?

martinijo

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Hey everyone,
I am planning to upgrade my Vaio PCG V505DP memory. I presently have one 512mb module installed and one empty slot. Would I be better to put another module with the same spec in rather than put a 1gb module ( faster spec) in the empty slot? I have heard it is not recomended to mix like this. What would the difference be between 1gb and 1.5 gb total?
Also, if I buy from ebay how do I know what is compatible with my laptop? Does it have to be DDR 2.5v 200 pin? Does it have to be 266 speed. Any info appreciated.
Thanks.

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Read the memory FAQ post at the top of the page, it will help a ton!

I believe you'll be looking for something along these lines

PC2700 DDR SDRAM SODIMMs 400MHz FSB. If the 400 MHz is different you should be ok as your comp will automatically slow down the faster hardware. Also, the difference between 1.5 Gb and 1 Gb would be pretty big I would imagine. I just upgraded a laptop form 1 gb to 4 gb and the difference is huge (admittedly not the same, but still should be noticeable.)

martinijo

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010

Ah thanks. Yes I should have read memory faq first but hadn't seen it.
Apparently I need PC 2700 DDR SODIMM as you stated. Don't know about 400MHZ though, think I need 333 (which is the same as the 512mb module which is in the other slot at present.)
Anyone else able to comment on whether I would notice the same increase in performance from 1gb to 1.5 as I would from 512mb to 1gb?
Thanks.