Sign in with
Your question

i3 or Athlon II 630

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 4, 2010 3:15:10 AM

I have to make a deicison now between two builds.

I do NOT use it for gaming (I have an xbox 360). I use it mainly for general multi tasking stuff (photoshop, web browser, music, movies downloads, email - often with numerous apps running at once.)

I really just want a quick and responsive PC that I can also play around with regarding overclocking.

Here's the options:
* CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W
* MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
* RAM: DDR3 PC 12800/1600 (2x1gb) Corsair XMS3 - dual channel setup - (this RAM is alitte more high spec to cope with overclocking - would this be accurate??)
* HSF: None Required
* HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
* PSU: what ever comes with the case = will be 420w
* GPU: None Required - This system will use on the onboard video, since graphic power is not a priority.
* DVD: Lite-on Super AllWrite SATA - 24x OEM
* Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 341 MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

i3 System
Same setup as above with
* i3 530
* MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H
* Cooler Master 355 Black tower

As I said, I will plan to overclock.

AMD system would cost approx $550 and i3 system approx $610 ($AUD)

Thanks team.

More about : athlon 630

a c 133 à CPUs
April 4, 2010 3:35:53 AM

Well if you are building to overclock the I3 will go higher then the Athlon should hit 4ghz the athlon you will be lucky to get over 3.7. But 4 cores are better then 2 for certain things.

Look at this comparision benchmark

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/105?vs=118

I would say the I3 is my choice. Both will feel about the same in everyday task though.
m
l
April 4, 2010 7:46:51 PM

I agree with Saaiello's analysis of what both chips are capable of.

If you are not running multi-threaded apps I would go with the i3. If, however, you will be using this for general multitasking I would think that the four core processor would would more suit your needs for the next 1-2 yrs as more multi-threaded apps are released.

m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 7:57:03 PM

Either will be more than sufficient for whatever. Go whatever is cheaper.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 10:11:31 PM

Depends on how intensive your Photoshop stuff is - if you use it pretty heavily I'd dump both options and get a i5 750.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 2:00:25 AM

u just basically asked, 2 fake cores or 2 real cores?

sounds like a no brainer 2 me

m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
April 5, 2010 3:39:09 AM

xaira said:
u just basically asked, 2 fake cores or 2 real cores?

sounds like a no brainer 2 me

[/url]
Although I agree with the 630 as being the better option, it would be best for you to link us to the actual article where you got those graphs. To show us that you didn't cherry-pick them and are biased.

Actually, my experience is purely with the 620, which I have been unable to push past 3.3GHz stable even with voltage as high as 1.6V. I've determined that it is the CPU that is to blame because lowering the CPU multiplier, I am able to push the base clock even higher. However, it is stable at 3.25GHz on stock voltage. As for the i3 capabilities, I have no experience.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 3:54:45 AM

ofcorse i cherrpicked, i added the photoshop last minute because thats an app that OP uses, but the 630 still wins
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
April 5, 2010 4:01:46 AM

xaira said:
ofcorse i cherrpicked, i added the photoshop last minute because thats an app that OP uses, but the 630 still wins

Yes and it would still be nice to see the whole article, unless you are trying to hide something.
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
April 5, 2010 6:03:47 AM

I'd get the athlon simply because its cheaper. With the money saved, get a real PSU. Your going to use the one that comes with a cooler master case???
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 7:14:50 AM

The i3, the i3 will OC to 4.0 on stock voltage. Both overclocked the i3 will always come out on top. I have both cpus in hand so, I know first hand. Currently running my i3 @ 4.2. It out performs and stock non i series quad, including AMDs entire line.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 7:36:35 AM

4745454b said:
I'd get the athlon simply because its cheaper. With the money saved, get a real PSU. Your going to use the one that comes with a cooler master case???

Get the Athlon, it has more cores for multi-tasking.
m
l
April 5, 2010 8:30:02 AM

A appreciate all the replies.

Well.....I'm thinking the Athlon II 630 quad! Simply due to it's multitasking prospects and cheaper price tag. I can spend the savings on more ram if necessary, or a better PSU as mentioned above.

I was leaning to the i3 initially due to the excitiment of being able to clock it to, or past, 4ghz. But going dual core these days is getting a little old. (and the can of worms is opened!!)

Thanks to all.
m
l
April 5, 2010 8:34:05 AM

4745454b said:

What is the problem with using the PSU that comes with the case? Is it really that bad? (also the shop that I was going to buy from doesn't seem to give the option of which PSU is included. I could ring them I guess).

Actually, for this build what PSU would you suggest. Keeping in mind it's a budget build with no need for gaming or heavy video card.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 8:34:42 AM

I love how everyone ignores the cheaper price tag option that I told him at the very beginning and goes into benchmarks and irrelevant options. It won't matter because you will not notice a difference between a dual and a quad with the things that you use your computer for.
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
April 5, 2010 1:52:33 PM

Not everyone werxen.

Quote:
What is the problem with using the PSU that comes with the case? Is it really that bad?

With the notable exception of Antec, most PSUs that come with cases are junk. I don't know which PSU comes with that combo, nor do I know how much your paying for it, but usually when people come here and talk about doing this its rather cheap stuff. For example, I bought a case that came with a 450W PSU and it cost me ~$30 SHIPPED. I was smart enough to not use the PSU.

Have you ever heard that a cheap PSU will be light? This is because when they make it, they literally don't include things they should. For example, the input filtering might be missing parts, or not be present at all. The heatsinks might not be as large as they should be, causing the parts to run hotter then they should. (metal costs money.) By cutting corners (read as by not including things a quality PSU would have) X company can sell a 600W PSU for $20. It could fry itself and anything attached to it however on the first good power surge.

As for what PSU should you run, I have no idea whats available in AU. Here in the states you can get the Corsair 400W pretty cheap. Other options would be units from Antec. Look for something in the 400-550W range.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
April 5, 2010 2:02:22 PM

Those FPS benchmarks you listed will of course be better then the I3 that is a no brainer since those benchmarks can actually use 4 cores to do the rendering. If you were to put an I3 vs the Athlon x4 against each other in a benchmark that can only use 2 threads the I3 will be faster. So what I am saying is that those benchmarks do not fit into real life scenarios I mean of course 4 cores will be better then 2 real and 2 virtual but you really can not make your decision just on that.

Now that I have said that I would still say go with the Athlon for 1 reason and thats price tag. For a budget aspect of it the Athlon makes more sense since it will really provide the same amount of real life performance although dont expect to overclock it that much higher then 3.4ghz.
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
April 5, 2010 2:16:15 PM

Quote:
So what I am saying is that those benchmarks do not fit into real life scenarios

Huh? How is running PS CS4 not a real world task? How is using x.264 to convert a video file not a real world task? Those are very real world tasks, people do them all the time.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 11:36:45 PM

:) 

Some of us use our compys for more than gaming you know :p 
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
April 6, 2010 1:02:04 AM

amdfangirl said:
:) 

Some of us use our compys for more than gaming you know :p 

What? Gaming was never mentioned. In case you haven't noticed, everyone is talking about photoshop and multi-tasking. With a bit of video encoding thrown in for no apparent reason.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2010 2:12:21 AM

4745454b said:
Quote:
So what I am saying is that those benchmarks do not fit into real life scenarios

Huh? How is running PS CS4 not a real world task? How is using x.264 to convert a video file not a real world task? Those are very real world tasks, people do them all the time.

I think what we mean is PS is not a general task. Sure, you can get a Thuban because you MIGHT run FSX every BLUE moon but that does not justify its 6-core 125watt TDP purchase over anything. We categorize people on amount of time running a software and what kind of software not theoretical hardware ability.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2010 3:37:02 AM

enzo matrix said:
What? Gaming was never mentioned. In case you haven't noticed, everyone is talking about photoshop and multi-tasking. With a bit of video encoding thrown in for no apparent reason.

I was poking fun at the "CS4 is not a real world app" post. It was a joke. When I make a joke people laff. Or not understand the joke.

Darn.

Oh well, guess it's back to the drawing board.
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
April 6, 2010 3:49:21 AM

PS was the first task the OP mentioned. Wouldn't that mean he'd want the 630?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2010 4:12:57 AM

:( 

I'm on your side.

Please don't hurt me.

I make cookies.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2010 5:42:31 AM

4745454b said:
PS was the first task the OP mentioned. Wouldn't that mean he'd want the 630?

Well one it matters what version of PS he is running and secondly the OP does not strike me as a kind of guy who does mad hardcore PS with 500 layers and filters being added to all of them simultaneously so the difference between the two would be minuscule. I can't notice a few hundred nanoseconds missing through my day.

EDIT:
The reason I say this is because heavy photoshop users generally also have 3d rendering software to add to their arsenal of needs.
m
l
April 6, 2010 5:56:31 AM

He mentioned PhotoShop. The Athlon II X4 is faster and cheaper. Why is this still up in the air?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2010 6:08:06 AM

Dekasav said:
He mentioned PhotoShop. The Athlon II X4 is faster and cheaper. Why is this still up in the air?

It's only faster if he gets the 2.8 gig one and then it still depends on the version of PS he is using. Also I would rather have an i3 overclocked to 4.2+ than a x4 at 3.6.
m
l
April 6, 2010 6:54:40 AM

Funny!

Well I use PS CS4 - and werxen is a good judge of character, as I only use PS lightly for designing my buisness cards and banners for my website. At max probably 15 layers. My current Pentium 4 handles it ok-ish.

It's just that when I open numerous programs at once I get sluggish response. Just don't like waiting for basic stuff.

m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
April 6, 2010 7:01:21 AM

Did no one notice his 2x1Gb ram selection?

Your going to be limited by ram when multitasking well before either of those processors if you only go with 2Gb ram.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
April 6, 2010 2:46:45 PM

amdfangirl said:
I was poking fun at the "CS4 is not a real world app" post. It was a joke. When I make a joke people laff. Or not understand the joke.

Darn.

Oh well, guess it's back to the drawing board.

Guess it went over my head lol

amdfangirl said:
Did no one notice his 2x1Gb ram selection?

Your going to be limited by ram when multitasking well before either of those processors if you only go with 2Gb ram.

Very good point. This definitely should be a priority over your processor.

amdfangirl said:
OP: RAM: DDR3 PC 12800/1600 (2x1gb) Corsair XMS3 - dual channel setup - (this RAM is alitte more high spec to cope with overclocking - would this be accurate??)

If you are going to overclock, you can simply reduce the ram multiplier if it becomes unstable. High end ram really isn't "needed". Best to get cheaper ram of a good brand like corsair. I hesitate to recommend OCZ because of all the RMAs people have had to deal with. Both someone I know, and all the reviews on the sites I buy from. 1333Mhz should be more than fine. Get 4GB. If the cost is too much, reduce the processor to an Athlon IIx3 440, which will be cheaper and still do an awesome job.

Darn it dont know how to quote multiple people....
m
l
August 19, 2010 7:31:24 PM

I just purchased an I3 530 2.93GHZ I haven't opened yet,but my question is should I return it and get the I3 540 3.06 ? I did open the motherboard so it's too late to switch to AMD ! I use the computer for games,movies etc... maybe Photoshop sometimes but nothing big.
m
l
!