Sign in with
Your question

Mobo & Memory Selection help i7 980X

Last response: in Motherboards
August 30, 2010 12:05:17 AM

I am in the market to spend some cash. I would like to purchase th new Intel i7 980X.

My budget for a mother board is in the $350 range and have considered these two mobo:

- Asus Rampage II Extreme

- GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7

both in the mid $300s range

My problem is deciding. I've read the reviews on both and see many concering posts.

Memory selection for each of them is a huge question. Way too much info to sift through.

I'd like to go to 12 GB on RAM.

And the memory choices is another confusing topic.

Enough that I have given serious consideration to the new Dell XPS 9100 that offers that CPU.

This is way too much $$ to hope you are ordering the right thing.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dan
August 30, 2010 12:24:15 AM

usdan said:
I am in the market to spend some cash. I would like to purchase th new Intel i7 980X.

My budget for a mother board is in the $350 range and have considered these two mobo:

- Asus Rampage II Extreme

- GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7

both in the mid $300s range

My problem is deciding. I've read the reviews on both and see many concering posts.

Memory selection for each of them is a huge question. Way too much info to sift through.

I'd like to go to 12 GB on RAM.

And the memory choices is another confusing topic.

Enough that I have given serious consideration to the new Dell XPS 9100 that offers that CPU.

This is way too much $$ to hope you are ordering the right thing.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dan

What will you be using this for? Are you sure you need this kind of computing power? Will you be OverClocking?
Because for the price of that CPU/Mobo combo +12 gigs of ram you could build one heck of a sweet computer.

However if your heart is set on the top of the line at all costs...

CPU/Mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

It's the Asus Rampage III Extreme, is there a particular reason you would rather go with the II in staid of III?

And Memory...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or if your budget isn't quite limitless

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 30, 2010 12:59:11 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be using it for various video rendering activities.

I hadn't plan on overclocking,,, guess I've always felt the closer you keep everything to manufacturers specs, the better things run.

I already have a Asus GTX 480 video card to install, so I want to try to keep up with better than average components.

I was concerned with the many posts about the II and III when they talk about failure rates, memory problems, memory selections, etc. -- enough to scare me over to Dell and their extended support option.

But with a Dell, I have no knowledge of their mobo etc, and that kind of concerns me too.

Plus I like being able to select a sweet case to go with it.

Dan
m
l
Related resources
a c 302 V Motherboard
a c 163 } Memory
August 30, 2010 1:11:39 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- $300 for a mobo is a very good budget but IMO u can go with this ASUS P6X58D-E and save the rest of the money for a good cooler or LCS basic system for the CPU.
2- What do u want to do with the rig? Games, video editio, surf the web. Because unless that u use many adobe applications at the same time 12GB are overkill for now, with 6GB are more that enough for very good performance and this Mushkin Redline 1600, this G.Skill PI 1600 or this G.Skill PI 1600 can do a perfect job.
3- What PSU and case do u have for the rig?
m
l
August 30, 2010 1:52:35 AM

Will be doing multi user video conferencing and also some heavy video rendering.

I'm all about stability, so I want to be extra cautious on the mobo / memory selection for this processor.

I was thinking about the PSU of: Antec TPQ-1000

Still investigating the case, as that new Asus board is oversized.

Thanks!

Dan
m
l
a c 302 V Motherboard
a c 163 } Memory
August 30, 2010 1:58:52 AM

1- Since u don't plan OC the Rampage is overkill and overpriced for ur needs even I think that this Gigabyte X58A-UD3R is a solid options for the rig.

2- What do u mean with "oversized"?

3- Do u want add another GPU in the future? Because u don't need a 1000W PSU for that rig with a 650W or 750W is enough for run it without problems. This Corsair 750W is the new line of Corsair with 80 Plus Gold certification.
m
l
August 30, 2010 2:01:15 AM

usdan said:
Will be doing multi user video conferencing and also some heavy video rendering.

I'm all about stability, so I want to be extra cautious on the mobo / memory selection for this processor.

I was thinking about the PSU of: Antec TPQ-1000

Still investigating the case, as that new Asus board is oversized.

Thanks!

Dan

That's the PSU I have! :bounce: 

But if you're just sticking with the GTX 480 then it might be a little much, but if you're gonna go with SLI or might in the future, it's been great for me.

Also, I don't believe the Recommended Asus Mobo is really any different in size than the 2 you originally posted.

Oddly enough, I've also got the first set of G-Skill memory that Saint19 recommended, and it too is super great...

Also, welcome to the board... :hello: 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
August 30, 2010 6:03:41 AM

With the R2E, you'll be loosing on USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps.. Not that they are very important features as of now but if you are spending this much then why skip on those..!! Overclocking should be kept as a side option definitely as down the line, you might feel the need for it (that i7 980X btw is a gorgeous overclocker).. So keeping all that in mind, i would recommend the Asus R3E or the MSI BigBang XPower X58.. Every X58 motherboard will roughly perform the same btw.. As for memory, Kingston HyperX T1 DDR3 1600 MHz gets my recommendation..
m
l
!