Sign in with
Your question

Dead portable external hard drive?!?

Last response: in Storage
January 27, 2012 6:48:53 AM

Hi, I'm having problem with my Toshiba Canvio 1TB external hard drive. When i connect it to my laptop, it won't spinning and the LED doesn't light on. It also can't be detected by Windows. I was very surprised about this because the hard drive never fall down before. It is still in warranty so maybe i will send it to the services but I'll need your opinions first...Please help me, all my important data are in there... :( 
a c 314 G Storage
January 27, 2012 8:47:44 AM

I presume that you've checked the AC adapter?

Can you hear any sound or feel any vibration, however slight?

Did you overvolt the drive with the wrong adapter?
m
l
January 27, 2012 9:13:22 AM

AC adapter??? Uhh, idk about it. Anyway, here is the weird thing...if I push the connecter into the hard drive and slightly push it upward, the hard drive works (LED light on and vibration all that) and i was thinking maybe the connecter or the hard drive is sensitive to forces. Unfortunately, the problem came back again and this time it can't be recognized by Windows. So, i restarted my laptop and used my strategy again but the LED only lights on(NOT blinking) but no vibration. Sorry if you don't understand anything but I will try try to explain it as hard as i can. Hell, i also used the ol freezer trick but to no avail...
m
l
Related resources
a c 314 G Storage
January 27, 2012 9:35:31 AM

It sounds like you may have a physical connection problem with the micro-USB connector. Many WD users report similar problems at WD's forums. You will need to open your enclosure and resolder the connector, or install the drive in another enclosure, or attach it directly to a SATA port on your motherboard. I'm assuming that the enclosure contains a separate USB-SATA bridge board, and that there is no hardware encryption.

As for an AC adapter, 3.5" drives are powered from an external adapter, but 2.5" drives are often powered from the USB port. I don't know which type of drive you have.
m
l
January 27, 2012 10:15:31 AM

fzabkar said:
It sounds like you may have a physical connection problem with the micro-USB connector. Many WD users report similar problems at WD's forums. You will need to open your enclosure and resolder the connector, or install the drive in another enclosure, or attach it directly to a SATA port on your motherboard. I'm assuming that the enclosure contains a separate USB-SATA bridge board, and that there is no hardware encryption.

As for an AC adapter, 3.5" drives are powered from an external adapter, but 2.5" drives are often powered from the USB port. I don't know which type of drive you have.

Sorry, I'm not good with technical parts but i will try to ask my friends if they can do it. Anyway, to sum it up, is my hard drive still can be repaired or is it dead along with all my files???
m
l
a c 314 G Storage
January 28, 2012 8:35:52 PM

We need to see what is inside the enclosure.
m
l
September 18, 2012 3:33:15 AM

fzabkar said:
We need to see what is inside the enclosure.

Hi hello , I have the same problem. I have a Toshiba Canvio 1TB USB 3.0 Part:E05A100PBU3XS, I have my info trapped inside the disk, what can I do. The led lights but the disk doesn't spin anymore, last time I've used it, was with a 3.0 usb port since then I Cannot recognize it anywhere.

I'm trying with another cable.

Thanks.
m
l
a c 314 G Storage
September 18, 2012 4:07:39 AM

Can you see the USB-SATA bridge board inside the enclosure with Microsoft's UVCView utility?http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.ex...

If the bridge is being detected, and if you don't care about your warranty, then remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to a SATA port on your computer's motherboard.
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:24:30 PM

fzabkar said:
Can you see the USB-SATA bridge board inside the enclosure with Microsoft's UVCView utility?http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.ex...

If the bridge is being detected, and if you don't care about your warranty, then remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to a SATA port on your computer's motherboard.

Cannot detect the device with this tool. :??: . I've tried with regular usb flashs and no problem at all. :cry: 
m
l
a c 314 G Storage
September 18, 2012 7:04:56 PM

It sounds like the bridge board may have a problem. I'd connect your drive directly to a SATA port.
m
l
September 18, 2012 10:12:20 PM

Well, then the only thing to do is open the enclosure and access the disk. Could I Connect it later to my lap or other enclosure if it haves a SATA access, does this damage the toshiba bridge?
m
l
a c 314 G Storage
September 19, 2012 4:33:00 AM

The bridge board is part of the enclosure, not part of the HDD. And yes, you can install the HDD in a different enclosure, but IMHO it's more convenient to have direct access via SATA , from a troubleshooting point of view. You don't have as many options in a laptop as in a desktop, though.
m
l
September 19, 2012 2:28:44 PM

I've tested the drive with another cable, and same situation, today I'll extract the HDD and plug it into my desktop. Thank fzabkar, BTW, would you recommend me a network storage device for mics files including movies and music, with security and reliabilty.
m
l
!