How hard is it to 'transplant' to a new case

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastcarfastbike

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
i think im planning to transplant my computer into a bigger case....
since i recently learned (thanks to this very forum) that my micro atx computer (like the MOBO (a dell xps435 mt) will fit into a regular atx case, since a lot of them are both ATX and micro ATX compatible if i understand it correct, im wondering, what all is involved in that?

is it as simple as pulling out the psu/gpu/HD/diskdrive then just like, taking out some screws and lifting everything out as one unit and setting it into the new case? or how does that work, is it something someone more computer savvy should do? my computer hardware knowledge extends to only a couple simple tasks that i've done, which has been ram, gpu, psu, and some custom fan work on the case....

anyways, thanks.

Solution
It can be a little more complicated than that. You'll have to detach all/any case wires and attach them to the new case.

This includes wires for the power, reset button, had drive light, any front panel jacks for headphones, microphone, USB ports, firewire, and such. The motherboard manual will show diagrams of the pinouts.
Its rather easy and mostly like the way you've described yourself.. Just remove all the onboard components (you can let the CPU along with the heatsink be installed in most cases).. Then take out the motherboard from your present case by removing the screws and put it in your new case.. Put back rest of the components like before and you are done..

It can be a little more complicated than that. You'll have to detach all/any case wires and attach them to the new case.

This includes wires for the power, reset button, had drive light, any front panel jacks for headphones, microphone, USB ports, firewire, and such. The motherboard manual will show diagrams of the pinouts.

Solution

skervy

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
i kept telling myself i was gonna screw something up when i built my computer but checking everything multiple times i did it right. you can save yourself some trouble by leaving the cpu and ram on the board. the wires should be simple if you pay attention to where and how your present ones are connected. the only ones you can really put in the wrong spots are the power/reset/lights. the others should be clearly labeled right on the board and usually have unique connectors. make sure you have lengthy power supply cables if your getting a bottom mounted case. would be awfully disappointing to put everything in there and find out you have to buy a new psu or put everything back in your old case :p

Status
Not open for further replies.