sev3ns0uls

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Okay, first of all, i have a Intel core 2 955 Quad at 2.88ghz...

Everytime i extract(not render) a a blu ray movie using winrar, its slow every other application including web surfing and downloading speed.....

I mean what the H3LL?? this is a quad core right???? why does it runs like my intel core 2 dual 2.2ghz cpu.....

and talking about rendering HD video, its the same as my core 2 dual cpu....

whats is up with intel.. are these cpu that slow??? thinking about switching to AMD...

Solution

I'd agree that your HDD is the problem here. Particularly since you only have 50GB out of 500GB remaining space. The way standard mechanical HDDs work, the performance gets worse when you have very low space remaining on your drive. Try deleting some old data that maybe you don't need anymore just to free up some space. Other than that your options really are to buy a bigger HDD. There are drives with multiple Terrabytes of storage space that perform very quickly. As daship suggested you can partition your HDDs so you have one for Windows and Program Files etc. and one for your Data. This offers many benefits, not just in performance but in data security. If you...

loneninja

Distinguished
How much ram do you have in both systems? What hard drive? It is very well possible with either of those situations to be limited by something other than just the cpu. And truth be told, most modern processors perform so well in most tasks, the differences are hardly noticeable outside benchmarks.

sev3ns0uls

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

well i have 4gb ram and 500 gb of ram using up with only 50gb left.

Well, a Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz should be quite fast for multitasking etc. As for downloading speed, it's mainly based on your internet speed, and so is the same for surfing the internet. Also, the browser affects how fast webpages load. As for the memory, 4GB RAM should be enough. While you're extracting, check 'Task Manager', and see the CPU Usage %, and if it's around 25%, that means that your copy of WinRAR is single threaded for some reason. If it's 100%, usage, then honestly, maybe you're expecting too much.

Otherwise, Windows is just running slowly.

daship

Distinguished
I would say your hard drive is the bottleneck, if its busy extracting a bluray full speed, it dont have time to do other things, get a faster drive or one for os, apps, and one for movies. If you have 2 separate drives you will be normal speed. Your CPU can multitask but your hard drive cant.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

I'd agree that your HDD is the problem here. Particularly since you only have 50GB out of 500GB remaining space. The way standard mechanical HDDs work, the performance gets worse when you have very low space remaining on your drive. Try deleting some old data that maybe you don't need anymore just to free up some space. Other than that your options really are to buy a bigger HDD. There are drives with multiple Terrabytes of storage space that perform very quickly. As daship suggested you can partition your HDDs so you have one for Windows and Program Files etc. and one for your Data. This offers many benefits, not just in performance but in data security. If you ever wish to change your OS or upgrade or even reinstall, you can do so by just changing your System partition and leave your data partition untouched.

The alternative would be to buy a NAS (Network Attached Storage) solution which operates off a standard ethernet cable connected to your router and will be appear with a unique IP address in your network. This may be a better idea if you have multiple users on your network and you need to share data securely between all users.

Either way your C2Q should perform very well in the vast majority of tasks you can throw at it including WinRAR. As mentioned WinRAR is a multi-threaded application so should make full use of your multiple cores. Hope this helps and good luck!

Solution

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
Could be antivirus. As You extract big movie antivirus scans extracted file and uses a lot of memory as it tries to keep all file in memory so all the ram fills up and causes a lot of paging. Which slows whole computer.

This happens to me I have Kaspersky Internet Security( both 2009 and 2010 as well as both antivirus versions and on Vista and W7) and it uses 100% of Ram when extracting large files and bring computer to very slow speeds. If I exit antivirus before extracting it works just fine. I have seen others reporting it to happen also with Defender so it could aslo be problem with other antiviruses.

Solution is to turn off antivirus if you trust the files You are extracting or to get more RAM so that the whole movie file will fit in the Ram and still have 2GB or more left for OS and other aplications