Sign in with
Your question

Corsair 400R - Air Cooling.

Last response: in Overclocking
September 26, 2012 10:49:48 AM

Hi folks,

Recently purchased the Corsair Carbide 400R case and wasn't quite impressed with the stock fans included. So I decided to plan on buying extra fans to replace the stock fans plus some more air cooling (always beneficial). Here's the plan:

Front Fans (LED) - Aerocool Shark Red Edition (120/140mm) (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14359/fan-915/Aerocoo...)

Query -
1. Will 140mm fans fit in the front on the 400R?
2. Can the LED switch be used to turn the LEDs ON/OFF with the Aerocool's? (Question slightly off topic, my apologies)

Currently in the process of buying components (fans) for building my system. Configuration is as follows:

Motherboard - ASUS M5A97
Processor - AMD FX 8150
RAM - G. Skill Sniper (2 x 4 GB)
PSU - Corsair CX600
GPU - HD 7750
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 412 Slim

Any inputs would be most welcome.
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2012 12:13:50 PM

1) Don't think so, but I can check when I get home. (Just had the front panel off that thing last night to clean dust and didn't even look)

2) Probably with some modifications. It's just a matter of finding the switch pair and interupting a line on the LED power.

I am running 120mm all around. The side locations help with my dual GPU's and the bottom fan also seems hlpful for overall cooling. After feeling all the heat that comes off the top fans under full load, I don't think I will use another case without top-mount fans again.
September 26, 2012 4:07:46 PM

Z1NONLY said:
1) Don't think so, but I can check when I get home. (Just had the front panel off that thing last night to clean dust and didn't even look)

2) Probably with some modifications. It's just a matter of finding the switch pair and interupting a line on the LED power.

I am running 120mm all around. The side locations help with my dual GPU's and the bottom fan also seems hlpful for overall cooling. After feeling all the heat that comes off the top fans under full load, I don't think I will use another case without top-mount fans again.

Thanks for taking the time to check on that. I have considered another option as well. Here it is:

I presume 140mms will fit fine on the inside (along the drive bays) Do let me know what you think about this. :) 
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2012 5:32:36 PM

Just checked Corsair's site and they list :

(x6) 120mm/140mm fan mounts, (x4) 120mm fan mounts, Includes (x2) front-mounted 120mm fans and (x1) rear 120mm fan

Since there are only 6 140mm fan locations, I know which ones they are, and they don't include the front or the inside drive bay locations.

Bottom, Back, 2 sides and 2 top locations. Those all take 120 or 140mm fans. It would seem the other locations don't.

September 27, 2012 3:35:25 AM

Z1NONLY said:
Just checked Corsair's site and they list :

(x6) 120mm/140mm fan mounts, (x4) 120mm fan mounts, Includes (x2) front-mounted 120mm fans and (x1) rear 120mm fan

Since there are only 6 140mm fan locations, I know which ones they are, and they don't include the front or the inside drive bay locations.

Bottom, Back, 2 sides and 2 top locations. Those all take 120 or 140mm fans. It would seem the other locations don't.

Cool. Will opt for 120mm ones for the front/bay area. How has your experience with the stock front panel fans been? I am planning to completely replace them as shown in my first diagram and make the Aerocool's work with the 400R LED ON/OFF switch. Else, option two (second diagram).

a b K Overclocking
September 27, 2012 10:43:04 AM

I am running 2 SSD's and 3 HDD, s and they all stay cool. The fans are quiet too.
September 27, 2012 12:28:56 PM

Z1NONLY said:
I am running 2 SSD's and 3 HDD, s and they all stay cool. The fans are quiet too.

That's good to know.
!