Ok i need some serious help before i go crazy

bumpbmxsbc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
ok so i have been troubleshooting my 5770 for two days now and im at wits end here...

so i used 3dmark to benchmark my new card and well i get 10fps........................ :fou:

and gta 4's benchmark gives it 15..

so i put in my old 8600 gts and well.. it out ran the new one? i dont think that seems right

steps i have taken,

uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers
installed the 9.12 hot fix

reinstalled my nvidia card and it ran better

system specs are
vista ultimate 64 bit
AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz
MSI KA780G motherboard
ETASIS ET750 True 750W
Kingston HyperX 4GB
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB

also i must add the icons are not crisp and the screen is kinda foggy, and photoshop windows glitch when i move them(seemed like a driver issue but im beginning to think its the card..)

and i know i dont have the greatest cpu but i think my system can get better then 10fps?

please help thanks in advance

bumpbmxsbc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
well when i first installed the card it was a fresh install of vista ultimate 64 bit, so its never seen any other cards until yesterday when i put my 8600 back in to see the difference

bumpbmxsbc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
im running 3dmark vantage right now and well...still getting between 10 and 20 where i think it should be getting alot more, i mean you pay 200 for a card you would think it could play games.... frusterating

bumpbmxsbc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
yeah 3dmark was at default, and ccc is default also(because i have uninstalled and reinstalled it so many times)

is it possible its the card? i mean i have tried everything even tried a lower end card and that one performed better

Well, the weird thing though is that a score of 10000 is better than the 8600 should score (so why does the 5770 do worse in games?!?).

As for it being the card, it certainly is possible. In the past I would have said no (as most seemed to work or not work) but I have seen too many 5800s that "sort of" work to say that now.

bumpbmxsbc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
yeah i said the same thing when i put the 8600 back in i was like wtf? it just sucks to know i paid 200 for less performance which leads me to hope it that its the card.

think i should rma it? i mean if i get the second one and it is the same then i know one of two things

its something else with my system or
the card line has a defect

Yeah, RMAs are fairly painless now (at least back to retailers) so that would probably be the best thing to do. if the next one still doesn't work, I'd say:

Either you are really unlucky

Or some component of your system (hardware or software) is conflicting with your new card and causing issues.

bumpbmxsbc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
ok while ill rma it back to newegg today or monday, and hope for the best when i get the new one. in the mean time ill just use the 8600, it performs better anyway lol thanks for all the help