Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Frame rate reducing while gaming

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 4, 2010 11:57:07 AM

Hi Friends,

My system configuration is given below.

Power Supply ModeCom 500Watt PowerSupply with 14cm FAN, ATX 2.2 ToughPower
Mainboard ASUS M4A78, HT3 5200, AMD770, SATA, eSATA, PCI-E, GLAN, Raid
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 940, 3.6GT/s, 8MB, 45nm
Deneb, 4x 3.00GHz, Black Edition
Memory 4096MB DDR2 PC-6400, (2x2048MB), 240Pin, 800MHz.
Harddisc 1000GB, SATA-II, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache
Graphiccard ATI Radeon 5750 (HD5750), 1024MB, 2xDVI, HDMI, GDDR5

I'd no problems for 3 months for playing battlefield bad company 2 game in high settings. But recently i'm not able to play it even in low settings. When i start the game it is some what ok but after 5 minutes the frame rate starts to reduce and after around 15 min very low rates.

What might be the problem? Any ideas ?

Thanks....

More about : frame rate reducing gaming

a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 12:04:50 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Many users have reported FPS problems with this game,how is your FPS in other games ?
April 4, 2010 12:07:22 PM

Maziar said:
Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Many users have reported FPS problems with this game,how is your FPS in other games ?


Hi...I don't have any other games in my system. But for the first 3 months there was no problems at all. Problems started recently.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 12:16:39 PM

Have you tried to patch the game?
April 4, 2010 12:20:04 PM

unknown_13 said:
Have you tried to patch the game?


No I just installed it from DVD and when started it automatically updated from the server. That's all.


a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 12:21:20 PM

subinjose said:
Hi...I don't have any other games in my system. But for the first 3 months there was no problems at all. Problems started recently.

Have you downloaded the latest VGA drivers ?
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 12:23:06 PM

Maziar said:
Have you downloaded the latest VGA drivers ?


^+1
April 4, 2010 12:24:15 PM

Maziar said:
Have you downloaded the latest VGA drivers ?


I've installed the drivers from the cd of the graphics card. I think it's latest...
April 4, 2010 12:25:27 PM

When i start the game, it ok... but it's gradually reducing while i play....
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 12:27:45 PM

Open Catalyst Control Center and go to information center and select Graphic software tab,what's the Catalyst version ? (10.3 is the latest)
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 12:30:37 PM

That PSU could also be suspect. I can't say that Modecom are a reputable manufacturer of power supplies. The official minimum recommendations for your graphics card are as follows:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

This applies to the whole system not just the card. Keep in mind that your PSU also nees to supply sufficient amps or watts on its +12V rails. The Radeon HD 5750 pulls approximately 186W at load. There should be a sticker on the side of your PSU that will tell you how many watts or amps are available across the +12V rails. If you post that information back here, we can go from there. If you're not sure you can take a photo of it instead.

I have tried searching on the manufacturer's website for this info since usually its posted on there but that doesn't seem to be the case for your PSU which to be honest is slightly worrying.

April 4, 2010 12:31:44 PM

Maziar said:
Open Catalyst Control Center and go to information center and select Graphic software tab,what's the Catalyst version ? (10.3 is the latest)


this is the information :

Driver Packaging Version 8.66-090918a-088538C
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.961
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0001
Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0700
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9017
Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.0918.2132.36825
April 4, 2010 12:36:04 PM

moody89 said:
That PSU could also be suspect. I can't say that Modecom are a reputable manufacturer of power supplies. The official minimum recommendations for your graphics card are as follows:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

This applies to the whole system not just the card. Keep in mind that your PSU also nees to supply sufficient amps or watts on its +12V rails. The Radeon HD 5750 pulls approximately 186W at load. There should be a sticker on the side of your PSU that will tell you how many watts or amps are available across the +12V rails. If you post that information back here, we can go from there. If you're not sure you can take a photo of it instead.

I have tried searching on the manufacturer's website for this info since usually its posted on there but that doesn't seem to be the case for your PSU which to be honest is slightly worrying.


Hi .... if i open the case i think the warranty will become void....Do u think it's a manufacturing defect ? Then i can return it.
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 12:39:49 PM

subinjose said:
this is the information :

Driver Packaging Version 8.66-090918a-088538C
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.961
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0001
Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0700
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9017
Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.0918.2132.36825

I think its Catalyst 9.7,download the latest one(10.3) from AMD's site
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 12:42:15 PM

Yes, yes thats a ooold driver download 10.3:) 
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 12:42:27 PM

I'm not saying it definitely is, but it could be. To me, that PSU doesn't sound up to it and this is why you're not experiencing the issues immediately but rather after you have been gaming for a while and your graphics card is pulling its peak power etc. On top of that pre-built systems tend to have a bad reputation for using cheap, poorly built PSUs. It's not worth voiding your warranty to have a look at the sticker, but if you can find out the exact model of your PSU that would help. A program like Aida32 or Everest might work. Its just ModeCom have a few models of PSU in the 500W range so I wasn't certain which one it was.

Try everything else the folks above have suggested first but if you're still having trouble, my bet would be on that PSU in which case returning it may be a good idea.
April 4, 2010 1:06:30 PM

Hi friends...

I've installed the Catalyst CC and will try it now... moody thanks for ur suggestions.... I'll play the game now .... and will let u know the results....
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 1:07:49 PM

subinjose said:
Hi friends...

I've installed the Catalyst CC and will try it now... moody thanks for ur suggestions.... I'll play the game now .... and will let u know the results....


OK, post when ur done:D 
April 4, 2010 1:29:16 PM

ok... tested.. but no change... stil same..
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2010 1:31:40 PM

It would be very good if you could have tested some other games because its hard to judge with only one game
April 4, 2010 1:36:15 PM

Ok.. i'll test with another game...
April 4, 2010 8:55:30 PM

I've tested with Crysis. with a resolution of 1920x1080 and with optimal settings. I selected an auto detect from the menu. After starting the game the system restarted. That's the story till now... Any ideas????
a c 85 à CPUs
April 4, 2010 9:14:38 PM

check temps and volts during gaming using rivatuner? could be psu overheating but i doubt this would cause a slow down rather a stoppage as you are seeing with crysis.
April 4, 2010 9:29:26 PM

i played with a low resolution and medium settings.. but it's still not good... do u think 500 w is not enough for radeon 5750?
April 4, 2010 10:38:58 PM

500 should be enough for a 5750, it takes very little power considering its performance, but starting a game and having the system restart sounds like a PSU problem. Could be that you just got a bad PSU. I'd RMA it.
a c 252 à CPUs
April 4, 2010 11:27:49 PM

subinjose said:
I've installed the drivers from the cd of the graphics card. I think it's latest...


That would be highly unlikely. You have it three months....it sat in a warehouse for a while.......Download the latest drivers ....3 month w/o a driver fix would be unheard of.
April 5, 2010 6:55:49 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
That would be highly unlikely. You have it three months....it sat in a warehouse for a while.......Download the latest drivers ....3 month w/o a driver fix would be unheard of.

I've installed it...but didn't help...
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 7:31:17 AM

Can you test your card in another system ?
April 5, 2010 8:02:25 AM

Maziar said:
Can you test your card in another system ?

I think it's not possible, cos i've to remove a warranty seal to open it. I think it's better to give it for a checkup...and let them find it... and what is ur idea? Do u think it's a PSU problem ?
April 5, 2010 8:17:06 AM

moody89 said:
I'm not saying it definitely is, but it could be. To me, that PSU doesn't sound up to it and this is why you're not experiencing the issues immediately but rather after you have been gaming for a while and your graphics card is pulling its peak power etc. On top of that pre-built systems tend to have a bad reputation for using cheap, poorly built PSUs. It's not worth voiding your warranty to have a look at the sticker, but if you can find out the exact model of your PSU that would help. A program like Aida32 or Everest might work. Its just ModeCom have a few models of PSU in the 500W range so I wasn't certain which one it was.

Try everything else the folks above have suggested first but if you're still having trouble, my bet would be on that PSU in which case returning it may be a good idea.


hi moody... seems like u r correct. I tried with Crysis and when i started the game in high 1920x1080 resolution and high settings, my system restarted...
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 10:28:31 AM

subinjose said:
I think it's not possible, cos i've to remove a warranty seal to open it. I think it's better to give it for a checkup...and let them find it... and what is ur idea? Do u think it's a PSU problem ?

If its still under warranty then yes send it for a checkup
a c 150 à CPUs
April 5, 2010 11:52:29 AM

I'm really surprised no one has thought to mention heat. The symptoms are entirely consistent with something overheating, either the CPU or GPU. The system throttles to bring temps down. I think it might be your CPU, since lowering detail (making it easier on the GPU) doesn't make a difference.

As to the PSU, it may or may not be crappy (I'm inclined to suspect it IS), but if it were the problem here, the symptoms would be different, such as reboots in the middle of the game, or crashes.

Please report your temps, before and during your game.

Edit: Did you move this PC recently, for example into some kind of enclosure? Make sure there is enough ventilation around it. From your comments about the warranty sticker, this sounds like a pre- or custom-build. Can you feel warm air blowing out of the back? If not, you could have just had a fan die on you, possibly the one in the PSU. Make sure your fans are running.
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2010 12:52:20 PM

Onus said:
I'm really surprised no one has thought to mention heat. The symptoms are entirely consistent with something overheating, either the CPU or GPU. The system throttles to bring temps down. I think it might be your CPU, since lowering detail (making it easier on the GPU) doesn't make a difference.

As to the PSU, it may or may not be crappy (I'm inclined to suspect it IS), but if it were the problem here, the symptoms would be different, such as reboots in the middle of the game, or crashes.

Please report your temps, before and during your game.

Edit: Did you move this PC recently, for example into some kind of enclosure? Make sure there is enough ventilation around it. From your comments about the warranty sticker, this sounds like a pre- or custom-build. Can you feel warm air blowing out of the back? If not, you could have just had a fan die on you, possibly the one in the PSU. Make sure your fans are running.



Agreed it could be down to temps as well. CPUID's HWMonitor is a handy tool to monitor the temperatures of all your hardware. The only issue here is that even if heat is the problem, you still can't take the side panel off to do anything about it without voiding your warranty. Regardless of whether its heat or a PSU fault, I guess its still going to have to be returned to be sorted. It would just give you a better idea of what could be wrong. Check your temperatures first, as jtt283 suggested.

Many people have said that a 500W PSU should be sufficient to run your card, but its the actual amps available on the +12V rails that are important not the total power output of the PSU as a whole. Generally, a poor quality PSU will not have sufficient amps on these rails. Having said that, if it came pre-built then it does beg the question as to why the manufacturers haven't picked up on this issue beforehand.

Post back and let us know more on your temps when you can. Good luck :) 
April 5, 2010 1:14:36 PM

hi guys... thanks for the comments... i'll try it and let u know..
a c 150 à CPUs
April 5, 2010 1:29:54 PM

An inadequate PSU wouldn't cause throttling though. If it couldn't handle the load, it would shut down, or cause a crash as the outputs went screwy. If the card weren't getting enough juice at the outset, it would scream at you.
For the game to start ok but then slow down is almost certainly heat. Perhaps the CPU HSF got loose, although that seems unlikely on an AMD board. Does the case have a side window?
April 5, 2010 1:30:42 PM

Onus said:
I'm really surprised no one has thought to mention heat. The symptoms are entirely consistent with something overheating, either the CPU or GPU. The system throttles to bring temps down. I think it might be your CPU, since lowering detail (making it easier on the GPU) doesn't make a difference.

As to the PSU, it may or may not be crappy (I'm inclined to suspect it IS), but if it were the problem here, the symptoms would be different, such as reboots in the middle of the game, or crashes.

Please report your temps, before and during your game.

Edit: Did you move this PC recently, for example into some kind of enclosure? Make sure there is enough ventilation around it. From your comments about the warranty sticker, this sounds like a pre- or custom-build. Can you feel warm air blowing out of the back? If not, you could have just had a fan die on you, possibly the one in the PSU. Make sure your fans are running.


Yes i bought it from a local company. I've checked the fans, all 3 of them are working. And i had a reboot while playing the game. And lowering the game settings is not helpful. It lags again...
April 5, 2010 1:38:00 PM

Onus said:
An inadequate PSU wouldn't cause throttling though. If it couldn't handle the load, it would shut down, or cause a crash as the outputs went screwy. If the card weren't getting enough juice at the outset, it would scream at you.
For the game to start ok but then slow down is almost certainly heat. Perhaps the CPU HSF got loose, although that seems unlikely on an AMD board. Does the case have a side window?


yes there are 2 medium size windows to both side for air circulation or for additional fans. Yes it did shut down once..when i started Crysis in full load it restarted.
a c 150 à CPUs
April 5, 2010 2:27:23 PM

It doesn't explain the throttling, but a restart under heavy load could be the PSU. Quite frankly, you could have both problems, which make diagnosis difficult. To preserve your warranty, take it back and let them deal with it. If at all possible, insist on a replacement PSU that is 80+ certified for efficiency, since at the very least it will have been tested under full load for at least 30 minutes. You probably got a $10 special that came with the case. A 380W Antec Earthwatts would have no trouble with your rig, none at all; the older 500W Earthwatts is only $45 at Newegg now, so wherever you got your PC has no excuse to charge you an arm and a leg for a decent PSU.

As to the original issue of throttling, you may be able to tell through a window if the HSF has come loose, otherwise you may just need a better one. If the one you got can't keep your system cool after only 3months' worth of dust accumulation, you should get a better one; $20-$30 should do, especially if the system is not overclocked. In case it matters, and fwiw, people smoking around a PC will cause it to accumulate dust and dirt at a PHENOMENAL pace, which will hinder cooling.
April 6, 2010 4:57:38 PM

Quote:
go download GPU-Z and check "Log to file", Play the game and check the File later, and give us the maximum temp on the file and the "sensors" tab.


ok... here is the log file: sorry alignment is not correct..... I saw that while playing game the GPU core clock is only 157. Is it correct ?

Date , GPU Core Clock [MHz] , GPU Memory Clock [MHz] , GPU Temperature [°C] , Fan Speed [%] , GPU Load [%] , Fan Speed [RPM] , GPU Temp. #1 [°C] , GPU Temp. #2 [°C] , GPU Temp. #3 [°C] ,

2010-04-06 18:48:10 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 46.0 , 36 , 4 , - , 45.5 , 46.0 , 46.5 ,

2010-04-06 18:48:13 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 46.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 45.0 , 45.5 , 46.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:48:14 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 46.0 , 36 , 1 , - , 45.0 , 45.5 , 46.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:48:15 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 46.0 , 36 , 3 , - , 45.0 , 45.5 , 46.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:30 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 56.0 , 38 , 0 , - , 55.0 , 55.5 , 56.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:31 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 55.0 , 38 , 0 , - , 54.5 , 55.0 , 55.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:32 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 55.0 , 38 , 0 , - , 54.0 , 54.5 , 55.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:33 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 54.0 , 38 , 0 , - , 53.5 , 54.0 , 54.5 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:34 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 54.0 , 38 , 0 , - , 53.0 , 53.5 , 54.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:35 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 53.0 , 38 , 0 , - , 52.5 , 53.0 , 53.5 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:36 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 53.0 , 37 , 0 , - , 52.5 , 53.0 , 53.5 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:37 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 53.0 , 37 , 0 , - , 52.0 , 53.0 , 53.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:38 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 53.0 , 37 , 0 , - , 51.5 , 52.5 , 53.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:39 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 52.0 , 37 , 0 , - , 51.0 , 51.5 , 52.5 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:40 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 52.0 , 37 , 0 , - , 51.0 , 51.5 , 52.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:41 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 51.0 , 37 , 0 , - , 50.5 , 51.5 , 51.5 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:42 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 51.0 , 37 , 0 , - , 50.5 , 51.0 , 51.5 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:43 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 51.0 , 37 , 0 , - , 50.5 , 50.5 , 51.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:44 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 51.0 , 37 , 0 , - , 49.5 , 50.5 , 50.5 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:45 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 50.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 49.0 , 50.0 , 50.5 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:46 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 50.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 49.0 , 50.0 , 50.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:47 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 50.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 49.0 , 49.5 , 50.0 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:48 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 50.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 48.5 , 49.5 , 49.5 ,

2010-04-06 18:53:49 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 49.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 48.5 , 49.0 , 49.5 ,

and the values of sensors tab is:

GPU core clock : 157MHz
GPU memory clock : 300 MHz
GPU temerature : 37
Fan speed : 36%

GPU is not taking full load ?


a b à CPUs
April 6, 2010 5:53:33 PM

According to the specs on the ATI website your card should have a core clock speed of 700Mhz and a memory clock speed of 1.15GHz. As you can see you're nowhere near this. I can't think why your card would be running at these speeds but at no point do your temepratures ever look particularly high either.
April 6, 2010 5:59:28 PM

I did an auto tune using catalyst utility. And now the values are different.

2010-04-06 19:52:48 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 41.0 , 36 , 1 , - , 40.0 , 41.0 , 41.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:52:49 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 41.0 , 36 , 3 , - , 40.0 , 41.0 , 41.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:52:50 , 500.0 , 1000.0 , 42.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 40.5 , 42.5 , 42.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:52:51 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 42.0 , 36 , 66 , - , 40.5 , 42.5 , 42.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:52:52 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 45.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 41.0 , 45.5 , 44.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:52:53 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 45.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 41.5 , 45.5 , 44.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:52:54 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 45.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 41.5 , 45.5 , 45.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:52:55 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 46.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 41.5 , 46.0 , 45.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:52:57 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 46.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 42.0 , 46.0 , 45.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:52:58 , 500.0 , 300.0 , 44.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 42.0 , 44.0 , 44.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:52:59 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 46.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 42.0 , 46.0 , 45.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:00 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 46.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 42.5 , 46.5 , 45.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:01 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 47.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 42.5 , 46.5 , 45.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:02 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 46.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 42.5 , 47.0 , 46.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:03 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 47.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 42.5 , 47.0 , 46.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:04 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 45.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 42.0 , 45.5 , 45.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:05 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 47.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 43.0 , 46.5 , 45.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:06 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 47.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 43.0 , 47.0 , 46.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:07 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 47.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 43.0 , 47.0 , 46.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:08 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 47.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 43.0 , 47.0 , 46.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:09 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 47.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 43.5 , 47.0 , 46.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:10 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 47.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 43.0 , 47.5 , 47.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:11 , 500.0 , 1000.0 , 45.0 , 36 , 19 , - , 43.0 , 45.5 , 45.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:12 , 500.0 , 1000.0 , 45.0 , 36 , 9 , - , 43.0 , 45.0 , 45.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:13 , 500.0 , 1000.0 , 45.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 42.5 , 45.0 , 45.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:14 , 500.0 , 300.0 , 45.0 , 36 , 19 , - , 43.0 , 45.0 , 45.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:15 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 46.0 , 36 , 62 , - , 43.0 , 46.0 , 45.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:16 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 47.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 43.0 , 47.5 , 47.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:17 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 47.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 43.5 , 47.5 , 47.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:18 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 48.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 44.0 , 48.0 , 47.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:53:19 , 760.0 , 1150.0 , 48.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 43.5 , 48.0 , 47.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:57:02 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 61.0 , 41 , 2 , - , 59.0 , 61.0 , 60.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:57:03 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 59.0 , 41 , 2 , - , 58.5 , 59.0 , 59.0 ,

2010-04-06 19:57:04 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 58.0 , 39 , 1 , - , 58.0 , 58.5 , 58.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:57:05 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 58.0 , 39 , 0 , - , 57.0 , 57.5 , 58.5 ,

2010-04-06 19:58:20 , 157.0 , 300.0 , 43.0 , 36 , 0 , - , 42.0 , 43.0 , 43.5 ,

a b à CPUs
April 6, 2010 6:02:33 PM

That looks a bit better ;)  I'd hazard a guess that the lower values are due to some form of power saving when your card isn't at full use. Still, your temps look fine. How about the rest of your temps? CPU in particular.

HWMonitor from CPUID is a good utility for monitoring all of your hardware and will also show you the temperatures of most of your components:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
April 6, 2010 8:35:17 PM

It seems like it was a problem of GPU clock speed. I checked the speed using GPU-Z and noticed that the speed is only 157 while playing game. So i did an autotune using the Catalyst utility and set the speed to 760MHz. It seems like ok now.

Thanks for all the inputs
a c 150 à CPUs
April 7, 2010 12:00:45 AM

Excellent. Better than a heat problem, which might have meant spending money.
April 7, 2010 6:33:01 AM

I'm planning to upgrade my GPU to Radeon 5870. My current PSU is enough for that ? It's a 500w PSU and not 80+
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2010 7:26:09 AM

Glad you found the source of the problem and that it wasn't expensive to fix!

Here are the minimum power requirements from ATI for the Radeon H 5870:

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

This refers to the entire system not just the card.

You're just on the borderline here with your PSU as far as power output goes. But we'll also need to check the amps available on your +12V rails and even then you can't guarantee you would have enough juice to run that card since a lot of lower end PSUs can't sustain the output they are rated at for any long periods of time. I personally haven't heard of your PSU so I can't comment just yet. I'll have a dig around when I get home from work and post back, although in all likelihood it looks as though you may need a new PSU if you do wish to upgrade to that GPU in the future.

Hope this helps!
April 7, 2010 7:44:44 AM

Seems like it's better to build a system myself than buy a crap one :D 
We can save money and build a power house better than a branded one...
a c 150 à CPUs
April 7, 2010 9:41:46 AM

If that's it, then no. Your PSU has a single PCIE power connector. Two are needed. While it may be possible to use an adapter, odds are your PSU really isn't designed to sustain a high 12+ load, and would die. When cheap PSUs die, they tend to take other parts with them.
Especially since you're planning on Crossfire, it would be safest to replace your PSU. A 650W Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic would be an excellent, safe choice.
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!