Sign in with
Your question

Having Trouble OCing Phenom II x4 955 on M3A78 MB

Last response: in Motherboards
August 30, 2010 4:35:13 PM

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting on here and all but it seems like this place is well populated with some smart people that can answer your questions with accuracy. Ok I will get straight to the point I need some feedback on my system here.

OS Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
Quote:

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 Ghz BE

Video Card HIS ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 5770 1 gig video card

Ram 8gigs of DDR2 Patriot Viper Memory

MB Asus M3A78 770 chip set Here is a link to it in case you need to read specs and look at it http://www.pixelusa.com/catalog/detail.asp?id=MB-AS-M3A...

Power Supply HW620X only hardware items I am using are Macs temperate monitor that came with cooler, 2 hard drives and 2 disk drives.

Monsoon Tech II Lite Cooler

Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 23 inch

Ok the problem I am having is over clocking my processor I had it stable for awhile using the bios default OC which is 3.5 with memory speed at 880, but when I ran prime95 for just a few secs it crashed. I am having the feeling this motherboard I have isn't good enough for over clocking this type of processor at all, can someone suggest just a fairly ok priced motherboard that will allow me to have a stable 3.6ghz or 3.7ghz OC at least? The type motherboard I have now only lets me increase voltage in a 50mv 100mv and 150mv is the max I can increase voltage to same with NB and chipset.

Overheating shouldn't be the problem I am using a Monsoon Tech II Lite type cooler and every time I have gotten the blue screen temperatures have always been mid 38c and rarely 50c range at full load. So do I need a new motherboard or is it something else?
a c 1098 V Motherboard
August 30, 2010 4:52:33 PM

The BE can be overclocked by upping the multiplier which will let the memory run at its default speed. Instability in prime can be a memory issue but with overclocking there is no guarantee that the CPU will reach 3.6 or 3.7GHz on a different motherboard.
m
l
August 30, 2010 4:57:34 PM

Yea you have a point there, I just thought that higher end motherboards have a higher potential to allow for a more stable over clock then lower end ones.
m
l
!