Please Help!!!! I really don't know what to do anymore.. GONNA CRY

rumster

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Ok.

Here is the issue and a brief on what happens.

Lets say I am playing MW2 and enjoying my game and all of a sudden my screens go black and than my keyboard stops responding. I can hear the game sound in the background for a few seconds but that stops too.... Thats it! Nothing else... Machine stays on doesn't show it's off. I cannot press the restart button because that won't boot it back up. I have to turn it off completely and wait a few seconds before turning it back on. This happens on a regular basis but at different times of game play. Sometimes I can play for a good hour or two before the system fails and sometimes for less than 5 minutes. I posted my issue on Yahoo Answers and nothing but b.s. from that...

Please for god sakes help me! I can't take this pain anymore!

SPECS:

I7 Extreme 950
12 gigs of ram
3 tb
EVGA 285 GTX - X2
ASUS A6T6 REV
CROSAIR 1000W

Running Koolance on everything

Highest Temp peak on mobo 43/ gphx 42/ cpu 36

CPU Core 1.17V
+3.3 V: 3.26V
+5V:5.06V
+12V: 12.08V

PLEASE HELP,

Rum :sweat:

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Very peculiar. Apparently not a power or temp issue.

Has the system always done this? If not any idea if some hardware change immediately preceeded it?

I suggest running memtest to thoroughly check memory - at least an 8 hour - perhaps overnight - test. It is possible there is some spot in memory that is bad that sometimes it takes awhile for the application to get to.

http://www.memtest.org/

Do you mean the monitor goes into stand by?

Check your SLI connection. Make sure there isn't too much heat build up around the cards, not to be confused with the GPU temp. Also, have you ever tried connecting the display cable to the other card when the screen goes black?

rumster

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

I will be doing the mem test tomorrow.

T_T

I took one of the cards out because i thought it was the cards. Same thing happen. I flipped them same thing happen. I put in a totally different card. Same thing happen.

tecmo34

Administrator
Can you try another PSU just to rule that out? I know the Corsair 1000HX is a great PSU but it doesn't mean it cannot go bad or be defective.

Also, have you tried testing the system with one memory stick at a time, even though it passed mem test, there still could be an issue.

What is your hard drive in your system and could it be going bad on you? Have you done a disk scan check on it or checked it's status by using the S.M.A.R.T tool?

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
it could also be a driver issue, did you installed the lates drivers out the manufacture website, not only the card driver but also chipset drivers, aslo check for a bios update.

RAM voltage, RAM voltage, RAM voltage. That's almost certainly the #1 cause of random freezing, and sticks of RAM with too little voltage can show up fine in memtest or they can fail. What's your RAM rated for, and did you set the voltage and timings yourself in the BIOS?

Also, with 12GB, I'm assuming that's 6x2GB, not 3x4GB. I'm not sure how much of a problem it is to fill all 6 slots on a 1366 motherboard because I haven't seen it as much, but filling 4 slots is pretty well known for making the RAM require slightly more voltage than stock as well. So you might check that out too.

If you don't have any luck with the RAM, power supply is where I'd look next, because those kinds of seemingly random crashes can happen if the PSU decides to zone out on you as well.

jrock3144

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
listen to capt_taco

That is so RAM VOLTAGE! It's drawing up more than stock voltage and causing the system to freeze and I am willing to bet it's 3x 4GB too
I too have seen that alot on a 1366 mobo. much mor common than filling 6 slots

could be PSU but I would say more than likely RAM VOLTAGE! RAM VOLTAGE! RAM VOLTAGE! for lack of a better Quote. lol

OH and memory tests usualy don't catch it at all in my exp. (10 years in gaming system builds at my own buisness)

I'll also back up capt_taco. These problems are almost always related to incorrect RAM settings in the BIOS. We need to know which EXACT RAM kits you have. Please let us know the model number so we can look up the specs. "12 gigs of ram" doesn't tell us anything. :)

In addition to correctly setting the RAM voltage, you should also manually set the RAM speed and timings to the correct values in the BIOS. "Auto" settings are rarely stable, especially when filling all the RAM slots on your board.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Very strange.
The problem is so bad he is going to cry. But then does not try suggestion and follow up for over a month.
Says problem is still going on and out of his mind.
More people try to help but again he is slow to respond.
I can only surmise that OP is given to hyperbole and problem is not as bad as stated.

rumster

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

Yep. It's correctly set from what I see... ASUS AI-TWEAKER isn't that user friendly as I wish it would be.

Here are screens of all settings

HTML LINK TO CPUZ INFO

Let me know if you or anyone else finds something in the screens.... The bottom part from screens is info from ASUS PROBELL FYI.

rumster

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I also want to add... I thank everyone for taking the time for helping me with this. This has been not only a headache for me but also a mental strain since I've never experienced something like this before. If any of you can fix it, and live in chicago drinks on me!

volanis

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
just came across this thread but i was having exactly the same problem with codmw2 on my radeon 1950xt. i thought i was card overheating but ram voltage ram voltage ram voltage may well be the culprit

rumster

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I am now thinking you guys are right it's the PSU - I removed 2 of the 3 drives and started Battlefield 2 and ran for a solid hour before it blacked out again. This is the longest Ive been able to play for. But I am still not 100% sure due to it still failing after 60 minutes. Anyone see anything in the data I provided?

Thanks again for all the help,

Norb

rumster

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
nope I was wrong... It turns off at the same rate now as before.. 5 minutes in to game.

Another side note: Played BF BC2 single player for almost 2 hours without crashes. Could it be possible to be a ethernet is issue? I do have Marvell which I heard could blue screen your machine.

Rumster,

Do you experience crashes when not gaming?
Have you scanned your HDD using S.M.A.R.T, like tecmo asked?

Other points of interest are:

1. Remove GPU's and use on-board chipset. Although graphics quality will be horrible, it's time to start considering possible mobo failure.

2. Clear CMOS to reset your BIOS; maybe the version you have is conflicting with your hardware. Don't forget to readjust your RAM specs.

3. Test for a short somewhere. Seems unlikely, but at this point you want to rule out everything. To troubleshoot for a short, do a breadboard build.

rumster

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Hey T_T,

It crashed once out of game.

S.M.A.R.T test came out negative for any issues. All was OK'd.

1. I do not have a onboard video card.
2. I did clear cmos and same thing
3. I have no clue how to do a breaboard build.

Is it possible I am running out of Watts? I have a crosair 1000 but im also running 6 fans on the ouside of the machine to the radiaitor and the water pump. 3 HD too... 2 video cards etc... a lot for this machine to handle you think?

Norb

lindley010

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

You are definitely not running out of watts. a 1000watt psu will run your build with *** loads spare. you could even add a 3rd gpu and still have spare. It may be a psu problem, but definitely not down to running out of power.

rumster

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I read it correctly but what if it is the PSU? Crosair doesn't do a swap service you have to send it in and they send you a different one in it's place. Wouldn't be beneficial for me to try out a totally different PSU.