Sign in with
Your question

Please Help!!!! I really don't know what to do anymore.. GONNA CRY

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2010 12:14:08 AM

Ok.

Here is the issue and a brief on what happens.

Lets say I am playing MW2 and enjoying my game and all of a sudden my screens go black and than my keyboard stops responding. I can hear the game sound in the background for a few seconds but that stops too.... Thats it! Nothing else... Machine stays on doesn't show it's off. I cannot press the restart button because that won't boot it back up. I have to turn it off completely and wait a few seconds before turning it back on. This happens on a regular basis but at different times of game play. Sometimes I can play for a good hour or two before the system fails and sometimes for less than 5 minutes. I posted my issue on Yahoo Answers and nothing but b.s. from that...

Please for god sakes help me! I can't take this pain anymore!

SPECS:

I7 Extreme 950
12 gigs of ram
3 tb
EVGA 285 GTX - X2
ASUS A6T6 REV
CROSAIR 1000W

Running Koolance on everything

Highest Temp peak on mobo 43/ gphx 42/ cpu 36

CPU Core 1.17V
+3.3 V: 3.26V
+5V:5.06V
+12V: 12.08V

PLEASE HELP,

Rum :sweat: 

More about : anymore gonna cry

January 29, 2010 12:33:43 AM

Very peculiar. Apparently not a power or temp issue.

Has the system always done this? If not any idea if some hardware change immediately preceeded it?

I suggest running memtest to thoroughly check memory - at least an 8 hour - perhaps overnight - test. It is possible there is some spot in memory that is bad that sometimes it takes awhile for the application to get to.

http://www.memtest.org/
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2010 11:48:44 PM

Do you mean the monitor goes into stand by?

Check your SLI connection. Make sure there isn't too much heat build up around the cards, not to be confused with the GPU temp. Also, have you ever tried connecting the display cable to the other card when the screen goes black?
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2010 1:11:00 PM

rockyjohn said:
Very peculiar. Apparently not a power or temp issue.

Has the system always done this? If not any idea if some hardware change immediately preceeded it?

I suggest running memtest to thoroughly check memory - at least an 8 hour - perhaps overnight - test. It is possible there is some spot in memory that is bad that sometimes it takes awhile for the application to get to.

http://www.memtest.org/

I will be doing the mem test tomorrow.

T_T

I took one of the cards out because i thought it was the cards. Same thing happen. I flipped them same thing happen. I put in a totally different card. Same thing happen.
m
l
March 2, 2010 11:58:37 PM

memory test came out clean. No issues with memory this is still happening. Out of my mind and out of anymore ideas.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2010 12:25:02 AM

Can you try another PSU just to rule that out? I know the Corsair 1000HX is a great PSU but it doesn't mean it cannot go bad or be defective.

Also, have you tried testing the system with one memory stick at a time, even though it passed mem test, there still could be an issue.

What is your hard drive in your system and could it be going bad on you? Have you done a disk scan check on it or checked it's status by using the S.M.A.R.T tool?
m
l
March 3, 2010 12:40:03 AM

it could also be a driver issue, did you installed the lates drivers out the manufacture website, not only the card driver but also chipset drivers, aslo check for a bios update.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2010 4:30:04 AM

RAM voltage, RAM voltage, RAM voltage. That's almost certainly the #1 cause of random freezing, and sticks of RAM with too little voltage can show up fine in memtest or they can fail. What's your RAM rated for, and did you set the voltage and timings yourself in the BIOS?

Also, with 12GB, I'm assuming that's 6x2GB, not 3x4GB. I'm not sure how much of a problem it is to fill all 6 slots on a 1366 motherboard because I haven't seen it as much, but filling 4 slots is pretty well known for making the RAM require slightly more voltage than stock as well. So you might check that out too.

If you don't have any luck with the RAM, power supply is where I'd look next, because those kinds of seemingly random crashes can happen if the PSU decides to zone out on you as well.
m
l
March 3, 2010 9:20:10 AM

listen to capt_taco

That is so RAM VOLTAGE! It's drawing up more than stock voltage and causing the system to freeze and I am willing to bet it's 3x 4GB too
I too have seen that alot on a 1366 mobo. much mor common than filling 6 slots

could be PSU but I would say more than likely RAM VOLTAGE! RAM VOLTAGE! RAM VOLTAGE! for lack of a better Quote. lol

OH and memory tests usualy don't catch it at all in my exp. (10 years in gaming system builds at my own buisness)
m
l
March 3, 2010 9:33:42 AM

Does the system only freeze when you put it under some stress or is it at any given time?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2010 2:39:40 PM

I'll also back up capt_taco. These problems are almost always related to incorrect RAM settings in the BIOS. We need to know which EXACT RAM kits you have. Please let us know the model number so we can look up the specs. "12 gigs of ram" doesn't tell us anything. :) 

In addition to correctly setting the RAM voltage, you should also manually set the RAM speed and timings to the correct values in the BIOS. "Auto" settings are rarely stable, especially when filling all the RAM slots on your board.
m
l
March 4, 2010 2:01:04 PM

Very strange.
The problem is so bad he is going to cry. But then does not try suggestion and follow up for over a month.
Says problem is still going on and out of his mind.
More people try to help but again he is slow to respond.
I can only surmise that OP is given to hyperbole and problem is not as bad as stated.
m
l
March 7, 2010 4:11:32 AM

The reason its been taking me long to reply is because of my work took me out of gaming for over a month 16 hours a day will do this to you.

I'm an idiot in regards to ram. I only have 6gigs of ram but it still happens.

This is the ram I have currently in the box
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

again sorry for the delay in response Feb was a hectic month!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2010 4:14:50 AM

OK. That RAM is rated at 1600MHz with 8-8-8-24 timings at 1.65v. You should manually set all those values in the BIOS. You also need to make sure you're using the correct RAM slots now that you only have three sticks installed.
m
l
March 7, 2010 7:27:05 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
OK. That RAM is rated at 1600MHz with 8-8-8-24 timings at 1.65v. You should manually set all those values in the BIOS. You also need to make sure you're using the correct RAM slots now that you only have three sticks installed.

Yep. It's correctly set from what I see... ASUS AI-TWEAKER isn't that user friendly as I wish it would be.

Here are screens of all settings

HTML LINK TO CPUZ INFO

Let me know if you or anyone else finds something in the screens.... The bottom part from screens is info from ASUS PROBELL FYI.
m
l
March 7, 2010 7:31:04 AM

I also want to add... I thank everyone for taking the time for helping me with this. This has been not only a headache for me but also a mental strain since I've never experienced something like this before. If any of you can fix it, and live in chicago drinks on me!
m
l
March 7, 2010 10:40:28 AM

just came across this thread but i was having exactly the same problem with codmw2 on my radeon 1950xt. i thought i was card overheating but ram voltage ram voltage ram voltage may well be the culprit
m
l
March 7, 2010 2:00:54 PM

I am now thinking you guys are right it's the PSU - I removed 2 of the 3 drives and started Battlefield 2 and ran for a solid hour before it blacked out again. This is the longest Ive been able to play for. But I am still not 100% sure due to it still failing after 60 minutes. Anyone see anything in the data I provided?

Thanks again for all the help,

Norb
m
l
March 7, 2010 2:28:01 PM

nope I was wrong... It turns off at the same rate now as before.. 5 minutes in to game.

Another side note: Played BF BC2 single player for almost 2 hours without crashes. Could it be possible to be a ethernet is issue? I do have Marvell which I heard could blue screen your machine.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 8, 2010 8:44:08 PM

Rumster,

Do you experience crashes when not gaming?
Have you scanned your HDD using S.M.A.R.T, like tecmo asked?

Other points of interest are:

1. Remove GPU's and use on-board chipset. Although graphics quality will be horrible, it's time to start considering possible mobo failure.

2. Clear CMOS to reset your BIOS; maybe the version you have is conflicting with your hardware. Don't forget to readjust your RAM specs.

3. Test for a short somewhere. Seems unlikely, but at this point you want to rule out everything. To troubleshoot for a short, do a breadboard build.
m
l
March 8, 2010 9:31:53 PM

Hey T_T,

It crashed once out of game.

S.M.A.R.T test came out negative for any issues. All was OK'd.

1. I do not have a onboard video card.
2. I did clear cmos and same thing
3. I have no clue how to do a breaboard build.

Is it possible I am running out of Watts? I have a crosair 1000 but im also running 6 fans on the ouside of the machine to the radiaitor and the water pump. 3 HD too... 2 video cards etc... a lot for this machine to handle you think?

Norb
m
l
March 8, 2010 9:40:05 PM

rumster said:
Hey T_T,

It crashed once out of game.

S.M.A.R.T test came out negative for any issues. All was OK'd.

1. I do not have a onboard video card.
2. I did clear cmos and same thing
3. I have no clue how to do a breaboard build.

Is it possible I am running out of Watts? I have a crosair 1000 but im also running 6 fans on the ouside of the machine to the radiaitor and the water pump. 3 HD too... 2 video cards etc... a lot for this machine to handle you think?

Norb

You are definitely not running out of watts. a 1000watt psu will run your build with *** loads spare. you could even add a 3rd gpu and still have spare. It may be a psu problem, but definitely not down to running out of power.
m
l
March 8, 2010 10:52:57 PM

Should I go to the store and get a 1200W just incase and see if it makes a difference?
m
l
March 8, 2010 10:57:31 PM

rumster said:
Should I go to the store and get a 1200W just incase and see if it makes a difference?

Not sure if you read the previous one properly, but you do not need any more power.
m
l
March 8, 2010 10:59:01 PM

I read it correctly but what if it is the PSU? Crosair doesn't do a swap service you have to send it in and they send you a different one in it's place. Wouldn't be beneficial for me to try out a totally different PSU.
m
l
March 8, 2010 11:15:02 PM

yeah, but not buy another expensive one. if u have money to burn, go ahead, but most people care about money. have you got a spare psu you can try?

try removing ram, do 1 ram stick at a time, this is gonna be a painful process for you, as u have so much. try different graphic cards, in different slots. you need to narrow it down so you can work out what it causing it.

after going threw all ur ramsticks one at a time. come back.

You must do one ramstick at a time, as it may just be a single faulty ramstick which when it becomes in use, is causing a crash.

m
l
March 8, 2010 11:18:30 PM

I don't have money to burn. This crosair is only 6 months old and covered under warranty. But what other options do I really have?

In regards to the video card. I swapped them and same result. Same exact thing keeps on happening. I did one at a time same issue. Nothing changed. I also tried a 3rd video card and same issue.

In regards to memory I did the one at a time and than ran the game. Same issue no change.

What other options are left? The only scariest thing that it might be is the mobo.
m
l
March 8, 2010 11:21:57 PM

rumster said:
I don't have money to burn. This crosair is only 6 months old and covered under warranty. But what other options do I really have?

In regards to the video card. I swapped them and same result. Same exact thing keeps on happening. I did one at a time same issue. Nothing changed. I also tried a 3rd video card and same issue.

In regards to memory I did the one at a time and than ran the game. Same issue no change.

What other options are left? The only scariest thing that it might be is the mobo.

If you've run every single ram stick by its self, and same with gpu. I don't know, the other option would be open the case, and make sure every single connector is connected properly, push each one together, same with the ram and gpu's.

Have you checked cpu/gpu temps as well?

Im going to bed so this is last post from me. Good luck.
m
l
March 9, 2010 10:21:39 AM

rumster said:
Temps are normal. Nothing over 48 celcius.

I went to http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine

It's recommending I get something that supports 1071. I think it's the damn PSU! Could it really be... ?

really? what did u put system load to? and capacity aging? as well as cpu utilization

i would say if there isnt enough power the pc would shut off, not crash. Have you tried a different harddrive with a fresh OS on it?

using the sys specs u have, and a few guesses of what else you may have, i could only get it to 1010 watt. and this is with things you probably dont even have. with aging of 50% and system load to 100%.

It may be down to the harddrive, when harddrives are on their way out, they cause crashes when in use, even if its not the OS drive. I'd try a HDD that you know 100% works, format it, install a fresh OS on it. and even MW2 if u can. and test that.
m
l
March 9, 2010 2:05:08 PM

Thanks Lindley I did 20% and it said 1071.

I am buying a new HD this weekend and trying that sucker out. The one that the game is on is a Raptor so who knows... It could be that... Going to try this weekend and see what happens.
m
l
March 9, 2010 2:21:39 PM

just to test the power again, remove all the ram, except 1 stick, leave only 1 gpu in.

If there is no crashes, then its the psu. if it continues to crash, i'd stick with the HDD as the culprit.

good luck with it, and let us know if you fix it.
m
l
March 9, 2010 2:33:14 PM

I did the one stick test with one GPU the game lasted longer but still crashed. Thanks I am finally moving along with this hell.
m
l
March 9, 2010 2:56:32 PM

rumster said:
I did the one stick test with one GPU the game lasted longer but still crashed. Thanks I am finally moving along with this hell.

Might be a long shot, have you actually tried to install a fresh OS and run off that? Sometimes crashes are just software problems. But these usually lead to BSOD's.

Have you checked you have installed all the drivers too? go to device manager and make there are no conflicts and no missing drivers, again a long shot, but sometimes things like this can be caused by missing drivers, or an updated driver has messed something up.
m
l
March 9, 2010 5:50:36 PM

Also check if your motherboard has a bios update, this is a fix for a great deal of problems you may be having, most issues on a pc happens due to incompatibility, it also sounds like ram issues to me, but if you try them all individually and still, it can also be the PSU not supplying enough power to the CPU, have you Overclocked anything at all, I suggest to load optimize default in the bios, and then set the RAM timings 8-8-8-24 with 1.65v as recommended by the manufacture. Also I never saw you listing any OS, but as any latest build ill assume is Win7 64bit if not, I think thats an important mention, please you left out lots of crucial info, you know that regardless of the OS you using it needs to be a 64bit version to be able to read all the memory you're using, also IMO, you need to be more active as most of the answer above are exactly what I though, though you seem to take a long time to try them out.

aslo, I think you listed the wrong name of the Motherboard

Quote:
ASUS A6T6 REV
??
I think you mean ASUS P6T6 Revolution http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

None the less if you've been installing drivers under the wrong name mobo, well there you go.

If not, here in the manufacture page, you can find:

Memory support,CPU Support,Drivers & Bios : http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=WqMFKNkS6ZjDLx4S&...

Lastest BIOS: P6T6 WS Revolution 0507 BIOS

Make sure you running the 0507.

Next Nvidia for the latest drivers:
Version:
196.21 WHQL These are the latest drivers by Nvidia for win7 64bit/GTX285
Release Date:
Operating System:
Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
Language:
English (U.S.)
File Size:
126 MB
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_196.21...
m
l
March 13, 2010 7:04:00 AM

snakej said:
Also check if your motherboard has a bios update, this is a fix for a great deal of problems you may be having, most issues on a pc happens due to incompatibility, it also sounds like ram issues to me, but if you try them all individually and still, it can also be the PSU not supplying enough power to the CPU, have you Overclocked anything at all, I suggest to load optimize default in the bios, and then set the RAM timings 8-8-8-24 with 1.65v as recommended by the manufacture. Also I never saw you listing any OS, but as any latest build ill assume is Win7 64bit if not, I think thats an important mention, please you left out lots of crucial info, you know that regardless of the OS you using it needs to be a 64bit version to be able to read all the memory you're using, also IMO, you need to be more active as most of the answer above are exactly what I though, though you seem to take a long time to try them out.

aslo, I think you listed the wrong name of the Motherboard

Quote:
ASUS A6T6 REV
??
I think you mean ASUS P6T6 Revolution http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

None the less if you've been installing drivers under the wrong name mobo, well there you go.

If not, here in the manufacture page, you can find:

Memory support,CPU Support,Drivers & Bios : http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=WqMFKNkS6ZjDLx4S&...

Lastest BIOS: P6T6 WS Revolution 0507 BIOS

Make sure you running the 0507.

Next Nvidia for the latest drivers:
Version:
196.21 WHQL These are the latest drivers by Nvidia for win7 64bit/GTX285
Release Date:
Operating System:
Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
Language:
English (U.S.)
File Size:
126 MB
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_196.21...

Snake I agree with you my apology for the delay in response. But I had good reasons expecially the last 2 days because I ended up in the hospital lol.. I think the stress is due to this build lol...

But I did install a fresh copy of windows 7 ultimate. I also replaced the Raptor with a WD Caviar 650 7200 rpm 32mb. I installed the game again and here is a new scoop I was able to play for almost a full hour! Than of course my nightmare re appeared and back to sqaure one. In the bios I have the volts set at auto and I am unable to choose 1.65v my only options is either below 1.65 ex. 1.64 or above 1.66. weird eh? I been told it might be the PSU so I called Corsair and waiting till they get restocked with the HX1000 again before they can send me a new one to try out. Do you think you will need my koolance info? Is there any other info you might need? I am really been working hard on trying to get this fixed. As I said in a previous post I am back on the machine daily now so I will be able to respond back to try any ideas.

One more question: Should I go get a psu higher than 1000 and try it out? Let me know.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 13, 2010 7:07:49 AM

Your RAM is not going to be stable under "auto" settings. If you can't pick exactly 1.65v then use 1.64v. You absolutely don't need a PSU rated at more than 1000W unless you're trying to power your whole city off of it. That's major overkill.
m
l
March 13, 2010 7:41:53 AM

even with the koolance pump and fans on it?

This is my invoice from koolance
2 x Liquid Coolant Bottle, High-Performance, 700mL (UV Yellow)(LIQ-702YL-B) = $14.99
14 x Tubing, Clear UV-Reactive PVC, 1ft/30.5cm [ID: 10mm (3/8"); OD: 13mm (1/2")](HOS-10CL) = $1.29
1 x Reservoir and Pump, RP-1000BK, Black [no nozzles](RP-1000BK) = $207.99
1 x HD-60 (HDx2) [no nozzles](HD-60) = $54.99
1 x CPU-345AC (CPU), Acrylic [no nozzles](CPU-345AC) = $59.99
1 x Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-Release(BKT-HX001) = $44.99
1 x MB-ASP6WR (ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution) [no nozzles](MB-ASP6WR) = $69.99
2 x MVR-40 (MB VReg) [no nozzles](MVR-40) = $21.99
1 x MVR Heat Transfer Plate, 67mm(MVR-PLT67) = $8.99
1 x MVR Heat Transfer Plate, 76mm(MVR-PLT76) = $8.99
3 x Nozzle Pair, G 1/4" Swivel Angled [For ID: 10mm (3/8")](NZL-L10P) = $14.99
7 x Nozzle Pair, G 1/4" Compression [For ID: 10mm (3/8")](NZL-V10KG) = $8.99
3 x Tubing Spring Wrap, Black [For OD: 13mm (1/2")](SPR-10BK) = $2.49
1 x Radiator, 4x120mm, Aluminum Vert. [no nozzles](HX-1320) = $73.99
2 x VID-NX285N (New GTX 275, 285 1/2GB) [no nozzles](VID-NX285N) = $99.99
m
l
March 13, 2010 7:42:18 AM

I am going to try at 1.64 and try game again
m
l
March 13, 2010 8:09:56 AM

didn't work. Just crashed - Started the game at 4:45 and crashed at 5:03.
m
l
March 13, 2010 12:52:27 PM

whats your cpu temps, it could also be that you mounted something wrong, and the cpu overheats, and the modern cpu will actually auto shut down so they dont get damage, can you try a reg heatsink like the stock one, try checking the Cards temps also, since you water cooling them, did you mount the water plate or you bough the cards like that? try something simple,like the stock fans, there is so many parts and mods going on inside your pc and unless you are an expert building pc you wont figure whats wrong because there is no experience of a previous build to back up, is this your first build?
m
l
March 13, 2010 3:46:32 PM

This is my 5 or 6th built. I never did a water build but I had a koolance guy over the phone working with me on it.

Here is my motherboard currently
any idea how I should get it off? lol... Its not an easy task since the water cooling is in the system.
m
l
March 13, 2010 4:08:45 PM

Also, I used HOT CPU Tester pro both diagnostics and burn in and both where 100% successful.
m
l
March 14, 2010 6:53:36 AM

lol took it to a tech shop. They couldn't find nothing of any diagnostics. System crashed and nothing showed on the meters. lost for words.
m
l
March 14, 2010 2:45:43 PM

rumster said:
Also, I used HOT CPU Tester pro both diagnostics and burn in and both where 100% successful.

it doesnt really matter at what % you bring the cores to, but for how long, I dont think that any test can be conclusive as you need at least 1 hour of prime 95 to sure that the overclock is stable, then i go ahead and leave it overnight to see the max temps, you can't stress you pc for 15mins and say that your max is 49C, it just doesn't work that way, I recommend at least 1 hour of testing to begging with, then move on to longer periods of time, the problem is that your build doesnt even allow you to play a game for more than 1 hour and even less in some cases, and thats when only one or 2 of your processors core are in use and not even at 100%. so i dont know how can you say
Quote:
burn in and both where 100% successful.
How can it be successful?
m
l
March 15, 2010 2:39:02 AM

im going to try your method starting tomorrow.

He left it running for 8 hours without anything failing! So that's what I meant as it being successful. I will try your method.
m
l
March 15, 2010 2:47:27 AM

Wow. You replaced the HDD, and OS. still same. hmm

Can you try stock cooling ? although i dunno. can u buy a new ram stick? or try a old one?

maybe its psu? although i dunno :s, could even be motherboard.
m
l
March 15, 2010 3:10:03 AM

lindley010 said:
Wow. You replaced the HDD, and OS. still same. hmm

Can you try stock cooling ? although i dunno. can u buy a new ram stick? or try a old one?

maybe its psu? although i dunno :s, could even be motherboard.

This drama gets better and better. It just crashed on the main menu of the BattleField BC2. Not even in game and it shut down.

i replaced the following already:

OS
HD
MEMORY
VIDEO CARD

Only 2 things left - PSU and the MoBo.

I built a few machines before and never came across anything like this.

The guy at the repair shop who looked at the machine told me the same.
m
l
March 15, 2010 3:24:22 AM

rumster said:
This drama gets better and better. It just crashed on the main menu of the BattleField BC2. Not even in game and it shut down.

i replaced the following already:

OS
HD
MEMORY
VIDEO CARD

Only 2 things left - PSU and the MoBo.

I built a few machines before and never came across anything like this.

The guy at the repair shop who looked at the machine told me the same.

Well i honestly dont know anymore, Swap the two remaining parts, if for instance, you get a psu, and its not the psu, send the new one back and get ur money back. and vice versa.
m
l
March 15, 2010 7:41:47 AM

wow that has been an expensive experience you have had.
All i can say is i know very little about pc's though i did have a similar problem on my last build what i got built for me.
I would load stalker or any high demanding game it would run for 10mins-2hours then just freeze.
The guy who built it sent me all diff parts to swap and change, After 2 days of torture he got it picked up and took back to fix it ended up being a faulty motherboard.
I have no idea if yours is the same problem but it sounds like what was wrong with mine may be same as yourself.
m
l
!