brs333

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
So I am having a problem and I am hoping that someone can help. On my desktop I recently installed Win7 on a 1TB internal drive. I installed it on separate drive then I had my original WinXP32 installed. So I could test out Win7 before fully transferring over. Well it worked just fine for that last 2 months and I finally decided to get ride on my older WinXP32 OS and run Ubuntu 9.10 on that drive. After installing Ubuntu on my old WinXP drive (that was the original drive on my PC) I no longer can run Win7 I just get this Error (Grub Error 17) when I try to boot my system, but I can still run Ubuntu. If there is anyone out there that could give me some advice on how to get my Win7 OS to run again I would love some advice.
Thank you.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Grub is the bootloader that ubuntu uses. Are you trying to boot the win7 entry in the grub menu? Have you tried just booting the win7 hard drive? Were both hard drives connected when you installed win7? Do you have the win7 install discs? I'm sure there's more to ask but that's all that comes to mind off the bat.

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Error 17 means Grub can see the partition, but can recognize the file system. You don't mention it in your post, but are you running Win 7 x64?

In bios you can configure your primary boot drive. Is it the drive with Ubuntu on it? Have you tried changing the boot order or disabling the Ubuntu drive to try and get into Win 7(so no dual boot)?

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008

I wasn't looking and you beat me to it. Guess I should have refreshed after getting a beer.