Problem with HIS graphic card?

orionis

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hi all,

I just installed a HIS graphic card http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-487.shtml about a month and at first I noticed some "jerkiness" or "jumps" when using the pc but nothing serious.

Now I encounter sudden blackouts or screen showing only vertical lines. The strange thing is if this happens while I am gaming, I can still hear the game proceeding (characters talking etc), but no screen, or just vertical lines.

What's most likely to be the cause of the problem here?

Anyone had any similar encounters with this card?

orionis

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I had a rehaul of the system last dec with new mobo, processor, graphic card, ram and harddrive.

Here's my specs:
Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H
Athlon X3 435 (2.9g/1.5mb)
Corsair DDR3 4gb
HIS HD 5770 1GB
FSP Blue STorm II 500w
Seagate Barracuda 500GB

The sudden blackout/vertical lines is random, it happened when the system just booted or when light browsing or gaming. The jerkiness is quite often though.

Here's the screenshot
temp.jpg

orionis

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have noticed lots of people having similar problems and there's no real solution being offered.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274979-33-5770-problems

I emailed the distributor for the HIS card in my country and they send me a link for this hotfix
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx

Now what I did is uninstall the drivers (all of the ccc, drivers etc, anything ati) and install ONLY the driver needed (without the hotfix, ccc catalyst, avivo codecs etc).

Driver version installed is 9.12 (even though the distributor said that ati had told them it could be due to this latest driver having problems).

I will see how it goes.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
hi bro
by reading your problem, all i can say is that your vga card is dying. your vga card has a defective ram. but ultimately your vga card is dying and if u have warranty then u must claim it. if no warranty then bad luck. this is because even if u upgrade your psu to a better one then it problem would come back after sometime. the main thing that happens is that while running your vga card stops responding and because of that your drivers also stops responding. hope i helped.

orionis

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks for the reply Lordszone.

My system crashed twice (once during watching a movie and I can still hear the movie progressing while there's only vertical gray lines).

Your suggestion that I rma the card (it was newly bought in dec 09) is logical but I wonder if it will really solve the prblem since I notice so many people having the same problems as me even though they are not using HIS like me.

If it's the driver problem, rma'ing won't help. If it's problems with the ati chip, it won't help either....

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

well thats the risk u will have to take. this is because if this problem of lines coming is present then it will aggravate. it will increase with the passage of time. yes that is also true that weak psu causes this as well. and the way that the screen goes blank but u can hear the video going on means that your vga card is not responding and because of that the drivers arent responding as well. anyways if i were u then i would have sent the vga card in warranty. hope i helped

orionis

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Driver v10.1 is out. In the release notes on page 6 (under all windows operating system under Known issues but NOT Resolved issue) it addresses the grey screen and vertical lines problem.