Solved

System Sanity Check

Without getting into brand preferences (unless related to reliability), overclocking or CrossFireX (pro or con), I'd like to know if I'm stepping in anything bad here before I pull the trigger. I'm an amateur who's tried to do his homework, but that's about it. I want reliability and stability #1 and performance #2.

# CD: LG 22X DVD±/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)
# CD2: None
# CAS: CoolerMaster Storm Scout Gaming Mid-Tower Case w/ Transparent Side Panel
# CASUPGRADE: 12in (Blue Color) Cold Cathode Neon Light
# CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case
# CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-930 2.80 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
# CARE1: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation
# CARE2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System
# FAN: Thermaltake SpinQ Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (CLP0466)
# FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
# HDD: Single Hard Drive (1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
# IEEE_CARD: None
# KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
# MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
# MOTHERBOARD: * Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA
# MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
# NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
# OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
# OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
# POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts Power Supplies (XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply)
# SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
# USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
# USBX: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]
# VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [DirectX 11 Support] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
# VC_PHYSX: None
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system sanity check
  1. That PSU is a total POS, i have never seen a 700W unit with such crappy specs, it provides a whopping 38A on the 12V rail, i would be surprised if that thing could even boot with a 5850.
    http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.aspx?id=3588&catid=142
    if you insist on going through them pay the extra and move up to the Corsair 850TX, its the cheapest good PSU that they have, i wouldnt trust most of the units they stock.

How much does all of that come out to be? You can get better quality parts and save a bit if you build it yourself.
  2. Taking your PSU under advisement and looking at alternatives.

I'm at just about fifteen hundred bucks.

I knew I'd get at least one "Build it yourself".

NOT interested.
  3. A Corsair 650TX is available with 60A max at 12V+ rail for not a lot more $ than the XtremeGear. From what I'm reading I won't miss the 50 watts difference. Yes? No?
  4. Whoops. 52A max.
  5. Best answer
    ^ You won't miss the extra Watts. The 650TX can actually deliver more than 650Ws.

I'm sorry that I have to say this, but you are paying a lot of extra money (~$300-400). DIY isn't hard and you have manufacture warranty,etc for the products to begin with.

As for HDD, what manufacture and model? I'm guessing a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATAIII.
  6. Best answer selected by nikdangr.
  7. Close. It's a Caviar Green
  8. nikdangr said:
    Close. It's a Caviar Green

Unless you are overly concerned about how much power your hard drive is consuming, and I take it by the rest of your build power saving is not a huge concern, but performance is, dump the green drive for a black drive.
  9. ^Agreed.
  10. Not an option, and its too late anyway. The deed is done. How many ways can you do 7,200 rpm, anyway? I know, I know. A nanosec here, a nanosec there...pretty soon you're talking about real time.

Thanks for the CORSAIR tip. I think I just bought some more peace of mind.
Ask a new question

Read More

Components