System Sanity Check

nikdangr

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Without getting into brand preferences (unless related to reliability), overclocking or CrossFireX (pro or con), I'd like to know if I'm stepping in anything bad here before I pull the trigger. I'm an amateur who's tried to do his homework, but that's about it. I want reliability and stability #1 and performance #2.

# CD: LG 22X DVD±/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)
# CD2: None
# CAS: CoolerMaster Storm Scout Gaming Mid-Tower Case w/ Transparent Side Panel
# CASUPGRADE: 12in (Blue Color) Cold Cathode Neon Light
# CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case
# CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-930 2.80 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
# CARE1: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation
# CARE2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System
# FAN: Thermaltake SpinQ Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (CLP0466)
# FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
# HDD: Single Hard Drive (1TB (1TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
# IEEE_CARD: None
# KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
# MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
# MOTHERBOARD: * Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA
# MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
# NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
# OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
# OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
# POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts Power Supplies (XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply)
# SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
# USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
# USBX: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]
# VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [DirectX 11 Support] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
# VC_PHYSX: None

Solution
^ You won't miss the extra Watts. The 650TX can actually deliver more than 650Ws.

I'm sorry that I have to say this, but you are paying a lot of extra money (~$300-400). DIY isn't hard and you have manufacture warranty,etc for the products to begin with.

As for HDD, what manufacture and model? I'm guessing a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATAIII.
That PSU is a total POS, i have never seen a 700W unit with such crappy specs, it provides a whopping 38A on the 12V rail, i would be surprised if that thing could even boot with a 5850.
http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.aspx?id=3588&catid=142
if you insist on going through them pay the extra and move up to the Corsair 850TX, its the cheapest good PSU that they have, i wouldnt trust most of the units they stock.

How much does all of that come out to be? You can get better quality parts and save a bit if you build it yourself.

^ You won't miss the extra Watts. The 650TX can actually deliver more than 650Ws.

I'm sorry that I have to say this, but you are paying a lot of extra money (~$300-400). DIY isn't hard and you have manufacture warranty,etc for the products to begin with.

As for HDD, what manufacture and model? I'm guessing a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATAIII.

Solution

nikdangr

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Not an option, and its too late anyway. The deed is done. How many ways can you do 7,200 rpm, anyway? I know, I know. A nanosec here, a nanosec there...pretty soon you're talking about real time.

Thanks for the CORSAIR tip. I think I just bought some more peace of mind.