HKH

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Since I don't know where to put this, I might as well put this post here since I saw a few similar posts that were posted here.

So here's the question, which keyboard should I choose for gaming.
I have done my share or research of reviews and such, here are a few keyboards that I slimed down to from my list

Logitech G15 (2nd version)
Razor Tarantula
Razor Lycosa
Salite Cyborg
Alienware Tactx Gaming Keyboard

G15
Pros: Amber backlit, Macro recording, Cheapest, 10 Keys anti ghosting
Cons: Low response, polling rate (125mhz I believe)

Razor Tarantula
Pros: High polling rate (1000mhz), exchangable keys, key response between normal keyboards and laptops,
10 Keys Anti ghosting
Cons: No backlit, keys seem to malfuntion after a while (very important con issue for me)

Razor Lycosa
Pros: Sexy looking, backlit, High polling rate, WASD keys Antighosting, rubberised keys for anti slip
Cons: Rubberised keys will peel off after a few months, backlit not strong enough, keys also seem to malfuntion

Salite Cyborg
Pros: Very good backlit settings that lets you change towards your own desire
Cons: Other than the backlit, there isn't any other thing special, low response time/polling rate, ugly

Alienware Tactx Gaming Keyboard
Pros: Best looking, Very sweet backlit funtions, good feel for key presses
Cons: Keyboard tends to bend when pressed hard, most expensive out of my list
Note "Don't know about the response time/Polling rate

ok that's about it, these are currently the only keyboards that I want to buy, the G19 is too damn expensive in my country, to be precise, it's double the price of the G15 here.

Ok I game alot, so I press the WASD keys quite alot, therefore the Lycosa might be the first off my list.
The Tarantula has problems with their keys malfuntioning often, keys not registering/holds down key by itself etc.
G15 has the most balanced features I like, but fails in the response time/polling rate, and I don't like amber backlits.
The Alienware Tactx is expensive, but looks the best, but I am unsure of it's full specs/funtionalities
Cyborg is just damn ugly in my eyes.

So here's the final question, does polling rate/response time really effect anything? If not, I'll just go with the G15
But if it does, I seriously want the best response time possible, because I really want do something exaclty when I press a certain button. Such as switch weapons, using skills etc.

Please give your opinion below.

tecmo34

Administrator
I have the Lycosa and love it. I have had a few key errors but they all have been to driver issues and so far no issues in months!!!

If I didn't have the Antec 1200 & Razer Deathadder, I would've went with the G15, which you still have options of the G11 & G13 out there.

Have you looked at the Salite Ecplise II over the Cyborg? I think it is a nice looking keyboard, specially to the Cyborg :)

HKH

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
My city doesn't have Salite Eclipse II, there is only one store that has the cyborg, gaming keyboards/mouses aren't popular around here

So what you mean is after driver updates, the key issue of them not responding and malfuntioning are fixed? Good
Then what about my major concern about the Lycosa, the rubberized keys peeling off?
Did you have any of those problems?

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
It's all personal preference. Seriously. I know a few people who absolutely swear by their high end boards. I did a good bit of gaming at league level with a brutally amazing DYNEXOFDOOM board. I took it from work when I get laid off, I was just incredibly used to the key angle, and it works for me. The human response time is much, much slower than any boards polling rate, so that's the best thing you can upgrade :)

HKH

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Thanks for the reply, well I dunno, it just seems like in theory that higher polling rate = more sensitive keys, because I play alot of Cod MW2, Counterstirike, and I seriously feel that keys are getting jammed when I press W,D to try to walk side forward and I can't switch weapons 30% of the time.

And the response on my keyboard is just another gay thing that happens alot.
Pressing A or D to strafe takes half a sec to acutally pull it off.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I've used the G15 (I don't own it, a friend does) and I love that keyboard. I just feels great, easy to press, etc. He also really enjoys it, so if it is the cheapest I'd say go for that. As for the polling rate, I don't know much about that stuff, but look at it like this:

125MHz = 125,000,000Hz = 125 million cycles/second. I'd like to see any human do 125 million ANYTHING/second. Assuming the polling rate works like I think it does, you have nothing to worry about at 125MHz.

HKH

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Yea right now I'm down to the G15 or Lycosa, one being the low polling rate, one being the rubberized keys peeling off.
I understand that 125mhz is decent enough, but when the lycosa has 9 times the response speed....it just makes me think abit harder

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Personally I'd absolutely HATE it if something was peeling (on my laptop I peel the stickers off once they start to peel :p), but I'm just crazy like that. I guess it's really just up to you if you'd be able to survive with peeling on the keys or not. Keyboards as have been said, are all about preference, so now that you're down to these two it's completely up to you.

victor2212

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010

im also in a confused postion cant think which to buy alienware taxt x or lycosa mirror, if u dont like ruberized peeling go for mirror?