Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does overclocking a bottleneck CPU helps??

Last response: in Overclocking
September 27, 2012 3:25:19 AM

I am having an asrock G31M-VS2 mobo with an intel pentium D 935 @ 3.2 GHz. Recently i invested all my pocketmoney in buying a nvidia 9800 GT 512 mb and a cooler master 400W PSU. Ihave a phillips 19 inch monitor which supports 1366*768 res. I upgraded my card from a radeon hd 5450 and i am definitely seeing improvement but not up to the mark as i had expected. I am aware of the bottleneck being caused by my processor,
but i donot have more bucks to spend and i want to add afew more frames to every game i play. I prefer playing at 720p (1280*768) res.
I wanted to be clear that would o'cing my processor really help and ease some bottleneck ??
Thnxxxx in advance....

Best solution

September 27, 2012 8:54:19 AM

Yes it would.
September 27, 2012 10:43:21 AM

macors said:
Yes it would.

well, as you said that oc'ing would help...
So i overclocked using asrock oc tuner. I slowly took my CPU clock from 3.2 ghz upto 3.4 ghz . The system was running stable under the furmark test . But as i started playing medal of honour 2010, my system crashed..!!!
Then i lowered the frequency bit by bit and i found that any frequency above stock made my system unstable..
My cpu was firmly stable at clock speeds. Well.....were the pentium D's good for overclocking?????
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2012 10:44:26 AM

macors said:
Yes it would.

So i overclocked using asrock oc tuner. I slowly took my CPU clock from 3.2 ghz upto 3.4 ghz . The system was running stable under the furmark test . But as i started playing medal of honour 2010, my system crashed..!!!
Then i lowered the frequency bit by bit and i found that any frequency above stock made my system unstable..
My cpu was firmly stable at clock speeds. Well.....were the pentium D's good for overclocking?????
m
l
September 27, 2012 10:44:41 AM

macors said:
Yes it would.

m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a c 176 K Overclocking
September 27, 2012 10:57:12 AM

Furmark isnt a stress tool for CPU's, it targets the graphics card. You want to be using Prime 95.
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

I am unsure if the Pentiums can overclock, or at least not through CPU multipliers. You might be able to do it the old school way, through the FSB. Your motherboard may also be stopping the chip from overclocking.
Also there's the possibility that your chip just cant support a faster speed.
m
l
September 27, 2012 11:09:46 AM

Iv never seen an unoverclockable cpu they do not exist its all the motherboard.Bump up the core voltage a tiny bit if it says the core voltage is like 1.15 or 1.2 then go 1.20 to 1.25 v. that will help the stablilty of the oc.....He said he has the asrock overclocking thingy so the board will definatly do it he just needs a bit more voltage...
m
l
September 27, 2012 11:20:43 AM

would oc really help that much? its a 9800gt, not exactly a beast.Oc that machine will give you minimal gains. If you want more fps save up get new mobo/mobo/ram and then you can get a more powerful graphics card.
m
l
September 27, 2012 12:03:43 PM

i definitely know that 9800 GT isn't a beast by any means. But on reading my post u must have come to know that i upgraded from an ati radeon hd 5450. Even a greetings card in the PCI slot would be faster than a hd 5450...lol.... I was simply concerned that is my processor holding back my gpu ?? And would overclocking by means suggested above really ease my pain...!!
m
l
September 27, 2012 12:09:13 PM

manofchalk said:
Furmark isnt a stress tool for CPU's, it targets the graphics card. You want to be using Prime 95.
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

I am unsure if the Pentiums can overclock, or at least not through CPU multipliers. You might be able to do it the old school way, through the FSB. Your motherboard may also be stopping the chip from overclocking.
Also there's the possibility that your chip just cant support a faster speed.

well..thnnxx for ur reply..but i was overclocking with the help of multipliers.
Is there sumthin wrong or crappy about that?
And i didn't get what u meant by FSB?? Or the old school method??
m
l
September 27, 2012 12:16:43 PM

robustus64 said:
Iv never seen an unoverclockable cpu they do not exist its all the motherboard.Bump up the core voltage a tiny bit if it says the core voltage is like 1.15 or 1.2 then go 1.20 to 1.25 v. that will help the stablilty of the oc.....He said he has the asrock overclocking thingy so the board will definatly do it he just needs a bit more voltage...

thnxx ..but i had a doubt again . Will increasing the core voltage in minimal amounts as u suggested help stablise my system at higher clock speeds???
And is there any harm in increasing the core voltage of the cpu??
m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a c 176 K Overclocking
September 27, 2012 12:46:50 PM

Back in the "Golden" age of overclocking, the CPU multiplier wasn't changeable, so overclockers had to think of more inventive ways to raise the clock speed. They used the FSB (Front Side Bus), which is a kind of link between the memory controller of the mobo and the CPU. Raising this would increase the Base Clock/Frequency, which is then multiplied by the... Multiplier to lead to a higher clock speed. Problem was this also overclocked the RAM, which has a much smaller headroom for overclocking. Could only overclock the CPU as far as the RAM would allow it, so overclocking was a fine balancing act and much more complicated than it is nowadays.

When AMD unlocked the CPU Multiplier, it was a much easier way to overclock that didn't involve the RAM at all. Because the RAM isn't involved, you could easily get large overclocks compared to the old method. Intel followed soon after, and now charge a premium for unlocked multipliers (the K series chips).

Overclocking by the Multiplier isnt worse in anyway, just on old hardware you might not be able to do it. So to overclock you have to start manipulating the FSB, hence the old school method.

Increasing the voltage does stabilize the CPU and allow higher clock speeds. Though it will get to the point where more voltage does nothing.
Yes and no. Due to the greater amount of energy through the chip, it will degrade faster than before and will heat up faster (which can be solved by getting some decent cooling). But the chip, even if over-volted will still last a good while. To the point where by the time it would fail, you should have upgraded it anyway.
There is the danger of applying (way) too much voltage and killing the CPU, but if you do it properly it isnt an issue.
m
l
September 27, 2012 1:02:25 PM

well...i am in total debt of you ..thnxxx very much for ur detailed description on this issue...
I'll change and increase my core voltage and let u know the results...
Fingers crossed and hope that it helps stablise my system,
ummmm...i had one more question though...will a pentium D @3.2 ghz bottleneck a 9800 GT:-
1) severly??.(extreme performance hindrance)
2)moderately??(not severe but noticeable)
3)very mild???(no noticeable effect)
m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a c 176 K Overclocking
September 27, 2012 1:10:21 PM

Both components are from before I got interested in computers, so I couldn't tell you from any knowledge or experience, but I can guess.
Given that the Pentium D was released in 2005 (and was Intel's first clumsy attempt at a dual core) and the 9800GT was in 2008, it bottle-necking the graphics card is a valid concern.
I would say moderate.
m
l
September 27, 2012 1:17:28 PM

Quote:
That motherboard probably isn't ideal for overclocking and won't be able to clock very far. BUT, you can surely try and yes it will help bring up the fps. It probably crashed because you didn't increase the voltage. Do you have the stock cooler? If you overclock you are going to need an aftermarket one as those chips get hot. I suggest you read up on overclocking that specific cpu and see what it can do.

u pointed out pretty correct..
My cpu aka pentium D 935 @ 3.2 ghz gets pretty hot while playing games like battlefield 3 ie about 65-70 degrees which i think is way too hot
presently i am not having any aftermarket cooling or something.
So without an aftermarket cooling, would it be good idea to higher up the voltage and then overclock???
m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a c 176 K Overclocking
September 27, 2012 1:23:45 PM

Without aftermarket cooling, especially on these older chips, don't overclock. Stock cooling woefully insufficient for overclocking.
m
l
September 27, 2012 1:47:33 PM

manofchalk said:
Without aftermarket cooling, especially on these older chips, don't overclock. Stock cooling woefully insufficient for overclocking.

ok...i'll go as per your suggestion
well.......before ending my thread i would like to post the performance of certain tested games on my rig. If this could let u decide whether my gpu is performing at its max potential or not...:-
1) battlefield 3 (1280*768) (ultra) gives 28-45 fps
2) medal of honour 2010 (1366*768) (max) gives 40-62fps
3) assassins creed revelations(1366*768) (max) gives 19-28 fps
4)red faction armageddon (1280*768) (max) gives 40-55 fps
5)cod mw3 (1366*768) (max) gives 60-110 fps
6) crysis 2 (1280*768) (hardcore) gives 30-45 fps

i know that these frame rates are playable but still i am concerned about assassins creed rev. bieng so underperforming..
And could the card manage more frames at the given settings for the above listed games or this is its max potential???
m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a c 176 K Overclocking
September 27, 2012 1:55:45 PM

You could overclock the 9800GT, that may give more performance. But if the CPU is acting as a bottleneck, you wont see any significant performance difference.

Assassins Creed may be un-optimized for such old hardware (and given Ubisoft's notoriously poor PC support, wouldn't be surprised), or uses a version of Direct X or some technology that isnt properly supported by the card. Wouldn't be concerned by its performance, its most likely just bad coding.
m
l
September 27, 2012 2:02:38 PM

manofchalk said:
You could overclock the 9800GT, that may give more performance. But if the CPU is acting as a bottleneck, you wont see any significant performance difference.

Assassins Creed may be un-optimized for such old hardware (and given Ubisoft's notoriously poor PC support, wouldn't be surprised), or uses a version of Direct X or some technology that isnt properly supported by the card. Wouldn't be concerned by its performance, its most likely just bad coding.

u said that i can increase my performance by overclocking my gpu.
But if my cpu is already acting as a bottleneck, then would i see ANY improvement by oc'ing my gpu...????
B'coz if the gpu is not being stressed at all then , is there a need to increase my gpu clocks..??
B'coz gpu clocks are meant to be increased when gpu is stressed and acting as a bottleneck...am i right on that one??
And would oc'ing my gpu bring about ANY difference AT ALL???
m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a c 176 K Overclocking
September 27, 2012 2:08:18 PM

Very small performance boost would come from OC'ing the graphics card. The CPU would still be bottlenecking it, but when the action on screen is more GPU intensive than CPU, there will be a small boost.

And it was a hypothetical, you decide whether to do it or not.
m
l
September 27, 2012 2:19:18 PM

to manofchalk:
i have been using EVGA precision and i have manually drawn a graph of temp vs fan speed. My gpu temp after gaming intensely for 3-4 hours reaches 68 degrees max. So personally i dont think that temperature is causing an unexpectedly low performance of ac rev. or any other game....
As u pointed out, it may be some uncompatible version of direct X or some software problem. I am using very old nvidia drivers.. That can be a reason too...
m
l
September 28, 2012 8:52:12 PM

I used to have around 30~35 fps in full action on battlefiled 3 on ultra (3 options in medium) with msaa4 on a phenomII X4 955BE + GTX460. I went to buy a Hyper 212 plus cpu fan cooler and man...I Oc'ed my cpu to 3.9Ghz and I saw a HUGE difference. Now I'm never below 40fps wich is more than playable. I gained a 10fps boost wich is really helpful.
m
l
February 21, 2013 5:39:58 PM

Best answer selected by armageddon007.
m
l
!