Sign in with
Your question

Formatting a HD/"Signal Missing"

Last response: in Storage
January 27, 2012 5:44:26 PM

Hey Friends,

I previously posted asking if it is necessary to format an old HD so that it will work in a different machine. The HD that I want to use has programs and files that I'd like to edit. I suspect that the answer is yes. If not, please let me know.

Along the same lines, I found a humungous external HD that a friend must have backed up for me that more than likely contains all of the data that I need. If I can access it in any way, shape or form, I should be OK. The issue now is that my monitor reads "signal missing" so I can't see any of the drives. Is there a solution for this particular problem? The computer that I'm trying to get to adopt any of the other HDs is an HP Pavillion 522n. Thanks in advance.
a c 322 G Storage
January 27, 2012 6:05:18 PM

Your monitor is not getting any output from the computer graphic connector. You need to troubleshoot that issue if you want to use that machine. Does the machine seem to have any power, do any lights or fans go on when you power it up? If not, likely could be the power supply died. If yes, then more likely the graphic card died.
m
l
January 27, 2012 7:12:24 PM

RealBeast said:
Your monitor is not getting any output from the computer graphic connector. You need to troubleshoot that issue if you want to use that machine. Does the machine seem to have any power, do any lights or fans go on when you power it up? If not, likely could be the power supply died. If yes, then more likely the graphic card died.

=-=--=-=
Thanks a lot for your response. I actually took the RAM out, reinstalled it and all is well. This old machine is still not recognizing the external drive though. Any thoughts about that? Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
a c 322 G Storage
January 27, 2012 7:23:25 PM

Go into disk management and see if it shows up there -- if so assign it a drive letter and you should be good.
m
l
January 27, 2012 8:11:41 PM

RealBeast said:
Go into disk management and see if it shows up there -- if so assign it a drive letter and you should be good.

-=-=--=
Thanks for all of your help. I went into disk management and the ext HD is listed as "disk 0". I don't have the option of renaming it, although I do have the option with my other drives (CD-Rom, etc.) Also, when I checked the properties it said that "0 MB are being used" So maybe there is nothing on there after all? The ext HD is definitely on (I can hear it and the lights are on) but doesn't come up in "My Computer". If you think of anything or if I get the issue resolved let's stay in touch. Thanks again!
m
l
a c 322 G Storage
January 27, 2012 9:02:20 PM

Since it shows up in disk management you should be able to right click on it in the right side of the area and give it a drive letter, then the disk will show up in Windows Explorer.
m
l
January 27, 2012 10:11:23 PM

RealBeast said:
Since it shows up in disk management you should be able to right click on it in the right side of the area and give it a drive letter, then the disk will show up in Windows Explorer.

-=-=-

Hey Realbeast,

It won't let me rename the big ext HD, so I resorted to installing the HD that I know has the progs and files on it into the computer. It definitely recognizes the HD and gives it another letter name ("G"). The only issue is that it asks if I want to format it which I think would delete all the data I want on the old HD, right? Get some rest. This will all be clearer in the morning. I'll be up all night trying to resolve it though-:)  Thanks again.
m
l
a c 322 G Storage
January 27, 2012 10:16:28 PM

Yes, a format would erase your data.

Does the external drive already have a drive letter assigned?
m
l
January 28, 2012 2:51:22 PM

RealBeast said:
Yes, a format would erase your data.

Does the external drive already have a drive letter assigned?

=--=-=--=
No, the external drive is just designated as "disk 0". Again, I'm not sure anything is on it. I have yet another drive that I think a friend backed up for me. It's a Seagate TR-4 mini cartridge. I have no idea of how to tap into from my computer as it doesn't have the normal connectors. I'll research this one. That may resolve the issue. Thanks again.
m
l
a c 322 G Storage
January 28, 2012 2:54:27 PM

So go into disk management and right click under the area to the right, not the grey area that says Disk 0, and assign it a drive letter. Does the drive show a healthy partition or unallocated space in disk management?

Also does you friend that did the backup on the external disk use Windows, or perhaps Linux or Mac, and possibly used an incompatible format?
m
l
!