Memory Management Errors..

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Hey all,

I am having some issues recently with blue screen crashed/dumps caused from memory management errors. I have 4 sticks of 2 gig in the following set up..

U-I7-860 - aircooled by Titan cooler
Mo Bo-P55-USB3
Ram-8GB G. Skill Ripjaws
Case-Cooler Master Storm Scout
PSU-ModXtreme 700Watt
Video Card - HD5770

Bios is set right now with everything set to auto and I have tried the memory presets, all of them-Turbo, Extreme and standard... I am fairly certain I am not having a hardware issue and I believe this can be fixed with some adjustment but I need a little input with that. I did increase memory voltage for a brief time and that seemed to stop these errors but I was told by someone with much more know how in this topic that I should not do so..

Can anyone please tell me the best bios set up regarding memory mainly for the p55, timings etc... The cpu is not over clocked right now but if anyone has a p55 with a stable over clock who is running 8 gigs of gskill ripjaws I would be happy to see your bios set up...

Thanks guys,

Rich

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
y--I just updated bios to F8 version from F6 and memory is set to profile1 setting-1600mghz--things seem stable so far but have yet to run diagnostics o0r memtest..

I usually get these crashes after some run time. Some times I can run for a whole day with no problems and than bam...bluescreen.. because of that it is very hard to test..

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Do you think part of the reason it was unstable is because it was set at 1333 before?

I know running 8 gig on a motherboard like this one really puts a strain on things. What can I do to make things more stable? I heard that default settings running with dual channels is not always the most stable setting.I was thinking of going through a minor overclock set up. This may help me get a more stable set up.

In regards to the bluescreen dumps, I am wondering if this may be happening because of a scheduled task or a process but I cannot find anything suspicions in events.. Whe else though would the system just dump like that after many hours of stable use with low temps.??

FYI--I ran memtest all night last night on all 8 gigs of ram and had no errors at all. It made almost 12 opasses without an error. I have also done load tests, stress tests etc.

Thanks

I think your stability issue is from undervolted dram settings.
I have two Gigabyte 1156 rigs that run 1600Mhz ram.
Both rigs have XMP enabled and the dram adjusted to the vendors specifications.
You ram won't work properly until the voltage is adjusted even if XMP is enabled.
For example 4gb Ripjaws 1600Mhz XMP enabled dram 1.6v.
Other rig 8gb Corsair Dominators 1600Mhz XMP enabled dram 1.65v.
In both cases the dram had to be adjusted when XMP was enabled for the ram to run at spec.
If you still experience any instability i suggest you Memtest86+ one stick at a time.

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
I spent some time last night and I did a mild over clock to 3.47 and things have been very stable ever since. I believe you are correct as far as the ram being under powered..

My ram is rated at 1.5volts by the way--

instead of going through the numbers with you I am posting images of cpu-z... Right now temps at this overclock are reaching highs of 51 in the hottest core and that is under max load...

As for mem test--all my tests are one dimm at a time.. I have the app running in 4 instances...I have this first 3 set at 2047mghz and the last one set at all remaining ram so this basically tests each dimm individually or at least that is what I was told..funny how things are more stable with an overclock but then again speed step and turbo are turned off as well...

Any tips on setting adjustments would be appreciated..I have oveclocked before many times but never with an Intel cpu.. This is actually my first desktop using Intel and I love it!

cpu-z1-sept1-10.bmp

cpuz-mem.bmp

mainboard cpu-z.bmp

spd.bmp

Thanks much--

FYI--Anyone having trouble with Eyefinity go and read my other thread. I finally found an active display port adapter that works!!

Good stuff everything looks great!:)

webdevoman

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Glad to hear it--it took me awhile. I originally made some changes to the memory which is set at 9-9-9-24 I believe and I could not get a boot. I tried so many settings and as soon as I put it back to 9-9-9-24-bam--started right up. lol

I have vdrop enabled but I am not sure if it should be..

Dram voltage is maxed out at 1.5 which is what my memory is rated for.. I dont think I should go up unless I overclock higher and I think I am fine so far.. It has been running since yesterday with no crashes..

I still haven't figured out why it crashes when set to "safe" default settings..

Thanks though--I am new to the whole intel thing as far as desktops go. i have had a dual core laptop for years and it still runs 24/7 as a media center dvr...it has been running 24/7 for years.. I have a fan blowing on it though at all times otherwise I am sure it would have died long ago or at least a hard drive would have went..

That is good news! I am encouraged now..

Rich