MISTERANGEL

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
hi,i have a question...i want to buy a toshiba laptop but i have a problem...in the review it sais the laptop has only 2 USB ports...on the other hand i noticed that it has an eSATA port which i found out on a site it can act like a normal USB port.is that true,can i connect in the eSATA a mouse,or another device with USB support,thus use the eSATA like a USB port?thanks a lot

MISTERANGEL

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

are you sure?because someone who has eSATA on his PC told me he could connect an USB device dirrectly to his eSATA port...

MISTERANGEL

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

yes,i understand...but do you have any knowledge about the posibility of the eSATA being compatible with USB?i still wonder why that man i was talking about told me that he can connect a USB device on the eSATA.aonther thing,i saw a demo on the TOSHIBA'S site which showed about eSATA and sleep-in charge USB :-??.is it possible that TOSHIBA migh t have a different technology so they could be copatible?if not,please give me a solution to have more USB ports.thanks

tecmo34

Administrator
I checked out the Toshiba's website and saw what you are talking about. What those laptops have are a combination eSATA|USB port. The port has the required size connectors, so it fits both USB & eSATA. This is the first I've seen of this before, which looks pretty sweet. I was thinking of the standard eSATA connector, which is too small for a USB. The setup on the Toshiba will give you a third USB drive. Also, you can look to purchase a 4 slot USB hub to connect to your laptop. It is small and can be transported with the laptop.