Sign in with
Your question

E-sata

Last response: in Components
April 4, 2010 10:57:31 PM

hi,i have a question...i want to buy a toshiba laptop but i have a problem...in the review it sais the laptop has only 2 USB ports...on the other hand i noticed that it has an eSATA port which i found out on a site it can act like a normal USB port.is that true,can i connect in the eSATA a mouse,or another device with USB support,thus use the eSATA like a USB port?thanks a lot

More about : sata

April 5, 2010 12:00:03 AM

You can only connect a USB device to an eSATA, if you purchase an adaptor that converts USB to SATA. This will allow the eSATA to work as a USB device.
April 5, 2010 12:04:11 AM

tecmo34 said:
You can only connect a USB device to an eSATA, if you purchase an adaptor that converts USB to SATA. This will allow the eSATA to work as a USB device.

are you sure?because someone who has eSATA on his PC told me he could connect an USB device dirrectly to his eSATA port...
Related resources
April 5, 2010 12:22:26 AM

I have an eSATA on the front of my Antec 1200 case and I can't fit a USB device into it. They are designed differently.
April 5, 2010 12:28:59 AM

tecmo34 said:
I have an eSATA on the front of my Antec 1200 case and I can't fit a USB device into it. They are designed differently.

yes,i understand...but do you have any knowledge about the posibility of the eSATA being compatible with USB?i still wonder why that man i was talking about told me that he can connect a USB device on the eSATA.aonther thing,i saw a demo on the TOSHIBA'S site which showed about eSATA and sleep-in charge USB :-??.is it possible that TOSHIBA migh t have a different technology so they could be copatible?if not,please give me a solution to have more USB ports.thanks
April 5, 2010 1:50:00 AM

I checked out the Toshiba's website and saw what you are talking about. What those laptops have are a combination eSATA|USB port. The port has the required size connectors, so it fits both USB & eSATA. This is the first I've seen of this before, which looks pretty sweet. I was thinking of the standard eSATA connector, which is too small for a USB. The setup on the Toshiba will give you a third USB drive. Also, you can look to purchase a 4 slot USB hub to connect to your laptop. It is small and can be transported with the laptop.
!